• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why USMC using obsolete M-16 in Iraq?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, that John Browning --- what an idiot. ;)

If memory serves, the US Army made him add the "manual" safeties ... he seemed content with the grip safety on the prototypes.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Talked to some Israeli's about the way they carry, being that their country is pretty much a combat zone. Only Police Force Ive ever seen that actually carries with the chamber empty. They practice to draw and rack the slide in the same motion. Yes you lose that extra round of capacity, but hey some of us can shoot.

Canadian Mounties do it too. One fluid motion of breaking leather to racking slide to on target. However, this is a technique that needs extensive training. Most people, even half-trained, will forget to do that and try to fire an empty firearm.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
....... Most people, even half-trained, will forget (what) to do ......
(continued threadjack ...)
Precisely .... that's why anyone who carries owes it to themselves and society to visit the range 1-2 times a month --- at least once a month as a minimum. Make the effort, or seriously consider not carrying. Firearms are a serious responsibility. Your range visits are one of the most valuable "life insurance premiums" you will pay .... :)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
I talked to a Kimber rep at a recent gun show - he stated that LAPD carries their Kimber 1911's in condition 1 (round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety ON) as a matter of routine.

I think you'll find folks in combat now - the guys and gals out of the Green Zone walking and driving around all have a rouond in the chamber and safety off :) (M9 of course, first shot double action)

My issue 1911 (no M9's for the Nav in the 80's) was kept in my SV2, with 5 X 7 round mags in a MAF bag in my leg zipper pocket.

When I was FACing I carried condition 1 weapon on safe, dont know too many pistols carried aroudn on fire, rifle is a different story I just didnt trust the Baretta much. They will absolutely crucify a negligent discharge. I had a pretty good drop holster that seemed to catch the safety prefectly to put it on fire as I drew it (practiced that a bit). I just had to remember to safe it when I took it out to clean.

Lawman

None
skidkid said:
I just had to remember to safe it when I took it out to clean.

C'mon Skid remember the Drilling of your skull with the words, "No Weapon is Safe'd and All Weapons are Loaded." :D

Cant blame you on not trusting a handgun that isnt yours. I personally wouldnt trust any weapon my fellow officers are carrying. Except for one guy, but thats because hes as anal retentive as me when it comes to weapons.

theduke

Funny story... in 1986 when they were selecting the pistol to replace the 1911, both the SIG P226 and the Beretta 92 were the final selection. The ONLY reason the Beretta won over the SIG was because Beretta offered them a slightly lower cost of production. When Berettas started having catastrophic failures due to the higher pressure loads that Navy SEALs were using, resulting in deaths, the SEALs threw the Beretta away and moved to the SIG P226, which was already designed to handle those loads. Beretta fixed itself, but the SEALs never went back.

right, right, i'm aware of all that. that's why i wonder if the P226 talk is just coming from the rumormill, or if there is some truth to it. i mean, it would be a likely contender if they decided to replace the 92FS.

Only a moron or someone extremely anal needs an external safety on a SIG P226. Unfortunately, the military is a bit of both sometimes.

The 1911 was carried cocked and locked, round in the chamber, for almost a century. Not an issue.

i agree on both counts, but that doesn't mean that those factors might not hurt the chances of those two superb pistols seeing widespread use as replacements for the Beretta (in my opinion, at least)