• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why no VOR on the boat?

NavyLonghorn

Brett327 said:
It's called a PIM (Position of Intended Movement) and it's briefed before flight ops commence - "intended" being the operative term. :D Tells you where the ship is supposed to be at your recovery time.

Brett

Right, but that doesnt supply you with the ability to dead rekon does it? Unless your wind correctionn was good enough to last.. however far away the carrier is....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyVance said:
Right, but that doesnt supply you with the ability to dead rekon does it? Unless your wind correctionn was good enough to last.. however far away the carrier is....
I was just answering his question about how it's done today. These days, finding the boat is seldom a problem (especially in my jet). As for how it was done in the day of yore under EMCON, I imagine similarly.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
PIM was name of the game in my time frame for EMCON operations. Backed up by a shaky INS and a DR plot when conducting Blue Water ops.

A few times some LTJG in the back of the E-2 would run the EMCON recoveries --- kind of a "remote" CATTC while the ship "hid" electronically .... don't laugh. It worked.

Some herein denigrate the backseaters in the E-2 ... in reality, "that LTJG" in the back would have been running the War at Sea with the Russkies.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
PIM was name of the game in my time frame for EMCON operations. Backed up by a shaky INS and a DR plot when conducting Blue Water ops.

A few times some LTJG in the back of the E-2 would run the EMCON recoveries --- kind of a "remote" CATTC while the ship "hid" electronically .... don't laugh. It worked.

Some herein denigrate the backseaters in the E-2 ... in reality, "that LTJG" in the back would have been running the War at Sea with the Russkies.

Yeah, they still do "Hummer Controlled Approaches"

I don't think they've gotten any better at it either! :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
e6bflyer said:
It's kind of like the P-3 guys and systems. How is knowing how many bolts the engine has going to help me when I am flying? Can I control it from the cockpit? Will it help me when I am on fire? I subscribe to the penguins on the iceberg theory. It has gotten me this far and through a few emergencies/system failures of my own. :D

I couldn't agree with you more about P-3 pilots and some of the inane stuff they make their new pilots learn. Fortunately there was not too much of that in EP-3's but I just about choked when I heard an EWAC (our PPC's) ask a 3P somehting like what the temperature was for the window defroster?? (I may have the exact question wrong, but it was something along those lines) when the 3P didn't know, and then had the temerity to ask why the hell he needed to know that the AC gave him grief for the rest of the flight. And that is goign to help him when he needs to land a plane with hyd failure or anything else useful how?

There was an IP who had been pretty notorious in his previous VP squadron for doing stuff like that, he was put in his place real quick after he showed up in VQ. Wasn't too happy about having to wait a year before becoming an AC in the squadron either....:D

/end threadjack

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. I mean, there is knowing your aircraft... and then there is the "who the hell cares?" factor.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NavyVance said:
Look.. I know the boat sucks.. but dont hate the pilot hate the plane.
You do .... ???? How do you "know" ??? I love it ..... :)

The BOAT :eek::eek: ... IS Naval Aviation. The rest is .... support. I weep for the future .... :)

Oh, yes ... Oh, God ... Oh, Oh, Oh, God .... time for limes.

MasterBates

Can I upgrade to the big boat now?

I am deleloping a dislike for having an OFF switch where the only Navaid is where SWO TAO's can reach it. There is NO NEED for emcon 15 miles off of Mayport.

NavyLonghorn

A4sForever said:
You do .... ???? How do you "know" ??? I love it ..... :)

The BOAT :eek::eek: ... IS Naval Aviation. The rest is .... support. I weep for the future .... :)

Oh, yes ... Oh, God ... Oh, Oh, Oh, God .... time for limes.

Touche.

Signed,

"the support"

pdx

HSM Pilot
NavyVance said:
Look.. I know the boat sucks.. but dont hate the pilot hate the plane.

There are still those of us who joined the Navy BECAUSE of the boat.

NavyLonghorn

pdx said:
There are still those of us who joined the Navy BECAUSE of the boat.

Is their no such thing as friendly ribbing here? Im pretty sure A4's and Fly both knew I was kidding around. Its not the first or the last time a P-3 Guy will give a Jet guy **** about sleeping on a boat, and a Jet guy will then pat the P-3 guy on the head and say.. go on your way "support."

Its funny, we all know we are on the same team.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Flash said:
I couldn't agree with you more about P-3 pilots and some of the inane stuff they make their new pilots learn. Fortunately there was not too much of that in EP-3's but I just about choked when I heard an EWAC (our PPC's) ask a 3P somehting like what the temperature was for the window defroster?? (I may have the exact question wrong, but it was something along those lines) when the 3P didn't know, and then had the temerity to ask why the hell he needed to know that the AC gave him grief for the rest of the flight. And that is goign to help him when he needs to land a plane with hyd failure or anything else useful how?

There was an IP who had been pretty notorious in his previous VP squadron for doing stuff like that, he was put in his place real quick after he showed up in VQ. Wasn't too happy about having to wait a year before becoming an AC in the squadron either....:D

/end threadjack

Is this a multi-pilot/crew thing? We don't get that far in the weeds in single seats. Boldface EPs and basic systems knowlege along with experience (takes time) and training works for us. I could give a damn about the exact tire pressure or how many blades the HPC6 has.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NavyVance said:
......Im pretty sure A4's ..... knew I was kidding around. Its not the first or the last time a P-3 Guy will give a Jet guy **** about sleeping on a boat, and a Jet guy will then pat the P-3 guy on the head and say.. go on your way "support."...
Of course, Junior. I even joined thinking "P-3's" .... but then I bought a "supporter" and didn't need one with four engines. Until I went for the airlines .... Rock on. :)