• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why no VOR on the boat?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you mean why TACAN instead of VOR?

A TACAN provides the same info in a more accurate format. No twisting dials until you find what radial you are on, a TACAN once tuned, will always point to the station, DME is built in as a a function of the station not an additional equipment to the station, etc.

Sorry, more ideas not facts...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TACAN is UHF while VOR is VHF. This coresponds with the whole military freqs UHF and Civ VHF. This is just a guess.

NavyLonghorn

HooverPilot said:

A TACAN provides the same info in a more accurate format. No twisting dials until you find what radial you are on, a TACAN once tuned, will always point to the station, DME is built in as a a function of the station not an additional equipment to the station, etc.

Ive never had to "twist dials" to figure out what radial I am on with a VOR. Tweet, C-12, and P-3 all had either an RMI, or HSI, or both.

I am with you on the DME part though.

Nice thing about a VOR though, is a nice warm fuzzy to from, rather then the whole minimum DME bit. I hate public math.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
HooverPilot said:

I believe the VOR is actually more accurate.

You can have a VOR with an RMI card. Most corporate jets and airliners have both CDI's and RMIs.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would go with the whole DME idea. You use that to find the correct abeam distance in order to start your approach turn (0.9-1.1 in T-45). I would definitely put VOR as more accurate; seems whenever I'm tuing a TACAN there is a much greater "squiggle factor" in where the needle is pointing. Not to mention the whole cone-of-confusion business.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I had heard something about the TACAN being less affected by the pitch and roll of a ship. But just an idea.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyVance said:
Nice thing about a VOR though, is a nice warm fuzzy to from, rather then the whole minimum DME bit. I hate public math.

You know the needle of the TACAN solves that one for you, right? ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Pags said:
both sites say that TACAN is theoretically more accurate.

Actually, they both say TACAN is theoretically 9 times more accurate, but the wikpedia source states a 1.5-2 times realized improvement. I am not sure what the source is for wikpedia.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
While I am post whoring here:

Wikpedia said:
Benefits
Because the azimuth and range units are combined in one system it provides for simpler installation. Less space is required than a VOR because a VOR requires a large counterpoise and a fairly complex phased antenna system. A TACAN system theoretically might be placed on a building, a large truck or ship and be operational in a short period of time.

Source is the wikpedia entry listed above.