• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy4723

It's kind of funny, flyguy... the reactions and responses you got here are the same you got on BaseOps.net.

Besides the major difference of them advocating for the guard and most people here advocating for USN. Which is fine I understand there is bias, but I think I've learned all I need from this thread. Thanks guys.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Besides the major difference of them advocating for the guard and most people here advocating for USN. Which is fine I understand there is bias, but I think I've learned all I need from this thread. Thanks guys.

.....annnnnd the verdict is??

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Too close to call.

If your ultimate goal is to be an airline pilot in today's hiring environment, I recommend going guard. This massive hiring wave could be over in 10 years while you're waiting to finish up your AD commitment regardless of the service you pick.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Let's say I would get assigned helos within the navy, after my time is up would I be able to get on with a guard unit that flies fixed-wing fairly easily? (Due to the mil experience)

If you get helos in the navy and still want to fly fixed wing, there are ways. You can go be a VT instructor or fly station C-12's for your shore tour. It's a long shot, but you can also put in for a community transition late in your first sea tour if your command supports it. Like I said it's a long shot, but we did have a guy from my helo squadron get picked up to transition to the growler. I did a sea tour in HSC, then a shore tour instructing in the VT's, then picked up FTS at a C-40 squadron. At this point I have over twice as many hours in fixed wing as helicopters. You may surprise yourself though and realize you love flying helicopters.

Another thing you may want to think about is how long it could take rushing guard units to get picked up by one. I've known a few guys that spent years rushing guard units all over the country, including my first two on-wings who went Navy after spinning their wheels trying to get picked up by guard units. One of them was enlisted in the guard. Both fly super hornets now and seem very happy with their decision.

If you are looking for the fastest way to a major airline, you should probably start rushing guard units that fly heavies and plan on spending some time at a regional.

flyguy4723

If you are looking for the fastest way to a major airline, you should probably start rushing guard units that fly heavies and plan on spending some time at a regional.

Not necessarily my end goal, but I'd like to keep that door open if at all possible.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hear there are always openings in CAP. :D
Civil_Air_Patrol_seal.png

Pags

N/A
pilot
Thats what you get with kids who think they're applying for the assistant, regional manager job at Walmart that just opened up. Absolutely no comprehension of the idea of service over self.
/end rant/
Assistant regional manager is at least a real job with responsibilities and there's probably some understanding that you're expected to fleet up to be the Regional Manager.

People think they're joining a flying club that will let them drop bombs and then jump right to the airlines when they want to and then get disappointed and disgruntled when they're expected to do something other than just fly and the USN doesn't care about their airline career timeline.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
People think they're joining a flying club that will let them drop bombs and then jump right to the airlines when they want to and then get disappointed and disgruntled when they're expected to do something other than just fly and the USN doesn't care about their airline career timeline.

To be fair...I don't remember anything about writing Evals in Top Gun. And how do I sign up for this rubber dogshit transition??

Pags

N/A
pilot
To be fair...I don't remember anything about writing Evals in Top Gun. And how do I sign up for this rubber dogshit transition??
I know you're joking and all but I don't think this is a new problem or a USN only problem. The world's Militaries are filled with people who joined to play with the hardware and are disappointed to discover that there are professional expectations that go along with their "lonely impulse of delight."

Status
Not open for further replies.