• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy4723

Let's say I would get assigned helos within the navy, after my time is up would I be able to get on with a guard unit that flies fixed-wing fairly easily? (Due to the mil experience)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Let's say I would get assigned helos within the navy, after my time is up would I be able to get on with a guard unit that flies fixed-wing fairly easily? (Due to the mil experience)
No one here has a crystal ball to see what will happen in 9-10 years when you may be in that position. I can say that fixed wing units will prefer people with fixed wing experience. A navy helo guy could get some fixed wing experience as a VT instructor, though.

Python

pilot
Contributor

Possible yes. Easy no.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Probably unlikely in the Air Guard since they usually want T/M/S experience or someone they can home grow in a unit. Maybe in the Navy reserves if they're hurting for people when you apply (I've got a Helo buddy who only flew helos after flight school get picked up by a VR C130 unit). As the "pilot shortage" gets worse that could of course change.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

It depends. You're most likely not going to go H-60s to F-15s. But maybe H-60s to C-5s, and most likely H-60s to H-60s. But, as I've said before, it really helps to have friends and family in the unit. The ANG works like a fraternity in many respects.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Just telling you guys what I've been hearing, wanted to get both sides of the story, but apparently some people are offended by that.
This is a board filled largely with current and former active duty naval aviators and flight officers. I think it's safe to say there may be a bit of bias. Just as how a board with a lot of guard guys might be a tad biased towards the guard and the AF over active duty navy.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
but apparently some people are offended by that.
Pretty sure no one here is offended. Just calling it as they see it in a forthright manner. Make sure you've got the requisite thick skin if you want to shoot for Naval Aviation or the Guard.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Just telling you guys what I've been hearing, wanted to get both sides of the story, but apparently some people are offended by that.
Nope, just irritated by your obvious lack of research and effort. If you want to fly for the NG, Navy, Air Force, Rubber Dog Shit Airlines, you better bring more to the game than what you've displayed here, on Air Warriors.

flyguy4723

Nope, just irritated by your obvious lack of research and effort. If you want to fly for the NG, Navy, Air Force, Rubber Dog Shit Airlines, you better bring more to the game than what you've displayed here, on Air Warriors.

haha alright, sorry I didn't use the search function on a forum ive never been on.

HuggyU2

None
It's kind of funny, flyguy... the reactions and responses you got here are the same you got on BaseOps.net.
I'd say that... despite some minor differences... there are a lot of similarities between pilots/navs in the USAF and the Navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.