• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who Should Senator McCain have for a VP

Who Should McCain choose as a Running mate?

• Guliani

Votes: 16 12.5%
  • Thompson

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Romney

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Huckabee

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • Paul

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Lieberman

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Colonel Kurtz

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
That ain't so. Campaign Finance Reform did nothing but make it much easier for incumbents to stay in power. That benefited McCain big time and he knew very well it would. Others of his votes benefited him in free publicity by an adoring press. It fueled his ego and banked good will with the press he planned on dipping into when he ran for president again.

Spot on. The Act had nothing to do with reform, rather deeper entrenchment.

As to all the wailing and gnashing of teeth of the far right punditry, they are just doing their jobs.

I hope you are correct. I see them pouring poison into the well. My gut fear is that those far right will stay at home in protest. That will leave for the most part the center, ergo Lieberman could bring "some" help. I also think he would make a good VP, someone I would feel "ok" about being a hearbeat away from POTUS.

The movers and shakers I talk to say Obama will not be permitted to be the nominee. He is generating a lot of excitement but some senior Dems believe he cannot win the General. Besides, the Party Machinery is behind HRC and they have delivered more that one nomination. "They" do not want to break up the 28 year Bush/Clinton Dynasty. Steak Dinner at Ruths on me if I am wrong! The Democratic Party is anything but democratic.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Sorry...I couldn't resist posting a pic of Capt. McQueeg......now, where are the strawberries??
queeg.jpg

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
There are three reasons I will be voting for Sen. McCain this November. First, I do not think he will immediately get out of Iraq in the same haphazard, placate Code Pink way that the other two would. Second, he isn't Hillary Clinton. And third, he isn't Barrack Obama. I am conservative, not rabidly, but conservative, and I am very lukewarm about his candidacy. I don't hate him, but I am not really pumped up for this election. Neither are many Hillary supporters for that matter. Now go talk with an Obama-ite. They are incredibly enthusiastic and are committed to getting their man into office. I think it's going to be hard to endure a campaign this long (WAY TOO LONG if you ask me) with less than enthusiastic supporters and come out on top. McCain v. HRC will likely give us McCain, but I don't know if he can take Obama and I am quite confident that he can't do it without a base.

How many of you McCain supporters who speak disparagingly about the wacko conservative base are going to volunteer for the campaign? How many are going to drive vans to voting booths? The fact of the matter is you need the base to win. Democrats and independents might love McCain, think he's a great guy, and wish he was what all republicans were (coincidentally, I wish more democrats thought and voted like McCain) but at the end of the day the dems will vote democrat, the independents will be roughly split, and the candidate whose base makes a bigger showing will win. It's true that you can't win with your base alone, but you sure as hell can't win without it.

Just my two cents.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
How many of you McCain supporters who speak disparagingly about the wacko conservative base are going to volunteer for the campaign? How many are going to drive vans to voting booths?
I live in NY. Hell will freeze over before NY goes "red."

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I live in NY. Hell will freeze over before NY goes "red."

Maybe if more of the "moderate" Republicans and Independents did get out and volunteer, drive the vans and make the calls, hell would eventually freeze over. But no. By virtue of their moderation "Moderates" do not get worked up over anything. They don't feel strongly enough to invest in their candidate. And Independents, they are simply unreliable. There is no telling where they will be one months from the next. They also make up their minds to late to carry water for a candidate when it can help. Every vote counts. But some voters count more then others. The voter that gets 12 to the polls that would not have made it, or changes the mind or 4 other voters is what we like to call a force multiplier.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Rice's involvement in the Iraq planning, plus the fact that her NSC and SecState reigns have been poorly regarded would negate her demographic advantages.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Rice's involvement in the Iraq planning, plus the fact that her NSC and SecState reigns have been poorly regarded would negate her demographic advantages.

Likewise, she seems completely disinterested in having a role in the next administration.

If and when Obama gets nominated, Colin Powell as a republican running mate would take serious air out of that balloon. As if Senator McCain isn't already syphoning enough of the middle votes to the right, Colin Powell has the charisma, experience, and support to pull a significant portion of the non-Jeremiah Wright Kool-Aid drinkers from the black vote. Also, being modestly southern protestant, I know a ton of fundies here in the south that also like Colin Powell. They're about the only black person they can tolerate being a national leader. It would be diabolical.

Unfortunately, he's also disinterested in the job. He would be an awesome voice of reason when it comes to foreign policy, particularly of the shooting type.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Agree completely here; if she was on the ticket to siphon off AA voters, I don't think it would have much effect. That voting block has been monolithic this campaign...unless the superdelegates give it to Hillary. Then the AA voters will stay home, or maybe help put Condi in the Naval Observatory housing. But, as I've said before, the Iraq war and her close relationship with the current president will negate any independent vote she would get.

As for Lieberman; he probably would attract some independents (and both candidates need/have to have independents to win), but it may irritate the base. And I'm not sure you would call that reaching across the aisle as Lieberman is not a Democrat.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Likewise, she seems completely disinterested in having a role in the next administration.

Actually, according to DC columnists like Bob Novak and such, she's been not-so-subtly campaigning for the job. She gave a speech to a conservative economic group, something no other SecState has done, a speech that was regarded in such circles as trying to give herself credibility on that score.

I've been thinking that McCain might try Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska. Granted, Alaska is already a Republican state, but she'd attract women, is young, and is a GILF (Governor I'd Like...).

MasterBates

ospreydriver said:
I've been thinking that McCain might try Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska. Granted, Alaska is already a Republican state, but she'd attract women, is young, and is a GILF (Governor I'd Like...).

Quote is worthless without pictures!