• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who Should Senator McCain have for a VP

Who Should McCain choose as a Running mate?

• Guliani

Votes: 16 12.5%
  • Thompson

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Romney

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Huckabee

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • Paul

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Lieberman

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Colonel Kurtz

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
If he wants to get back the right wing extremists who don't consider McCain conservative enough, he should go Thompson.

Uh, do you mean....the Republican Base? McCain has an overall conservative record, but that's like saying Shaq is a dominate player. On the whole, that's true, but McCain's made a considerable turn left over the last couple years. By opposing the President's tax cuts and failing to support securing the borders, in addition to the McCain-Feingold Act, McCain has limited free-markets, devalued American citizenship, and restricted free speech.

Rather than seek to inform opposition, McCain has chosen to move the entire Republican party to the left. If you think we can defeat the DNC by being a DNC-lite, you're mistaken.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
Thompson's major liability as a running mate would be age. He would give McCain some conservative cred, but it would be jarring to have two old white guys running together, especially if they end up facing the young and energetic Obama. Still, I'd take him over Huckabee in an instant. As much as the Bible thumping helps in the south, personally it makes me nauseous.

McCain's big concern seems to be regaining the trust of the right. As a result, I don't see him reaching across party lines for a running mate (yes I know Lieberman is now an independent, too recent a change I think.)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Uh, do you mean....the Republican Base? McCain has an overall conservative record, but that's like saying Shaq is a dominate player. On the whole, that's true, but McCain's made a considerable turn left over the last couple years. By opposing the President's tax cuts and failing to support securing the borders, in addition to the McCain-Feingold Act, McCain has limited free-markets, devalued American citizenship, and restricted free speech.

Rather than seek to inform opposition, McCain has chosen to move the entire Republican party to the left. If you think we can defeat the DNC by being a DNC-lite, you're mistaken.

I don't see it so much as an issue. Are more right-winged conservatives really not going to vote McCain? Especially when faced with the knowledge that if you don't, Hillary or Obama will be in the White House?

gunnar_034

There was some speculation up here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes that Gov. Pawlenty would be a possible choice for a running mate.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
Which reminds me, there's plenty of time left before the election for him to select someone we've never heard of. The election is a good nine months away, leaving plenty of time for everyone to learn about the former unknown. I don't know anything about Pawlenty in particular, but I wouldn't be surprised if he looks to state governors to pick a VP candidate.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Who do you all think would make a good running mate for McCain?

This guy ...

31229292ps0.jpg

red_ryder

None
Haha^, we can only hope.

We all know it's gonna come down to McCain vs. Obama. Reps can bluster all they want that he hurt their feelings in the past, but when it comes time to vote, you know they'll take him over Obama. At least, let's hope they're not all that petty.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
We all know it's gonna come down to McCain vs. Obama.

False. :)

McCain vs. Clinton (that's a promise); McCain wins because the evil conservative base will eat their humble pie and never allow Hillary into office.

As far as VP, I would love to see the cross-the-aisle ticket / Lieberman approach because I am a rabid moderate, but also young, stupid, and want to believe something like that is possible.

I have no idea who will be VP, but I also have a hunch it won't matter very much.

joshmf

Which reminds me, there's plenty of time left before the election for him to select someone we've never heard of. The election is a good nine months away, leaving plenty of time for everyone to learn about the former unknown. I don't know anything about Pawlenty in particular, but I wouldn't be surprised if he looks to state governors to pick a VP candidate.

I agree, I'd be surprised if he picked any of the other presidential candidates. They've not only lost already on the national level, they've lost in their own party's nomination system. With all the talk of who or what the Republican base is, you can't get a better definition of this then the primary system. This is where the Republican base chooses its candidate.

I like Pawlenty for VP too, as well as Palin. To me it makes a lot more sense to have a Governor as VP, because it's the Executive branch- legislating and governing or two different skill sets.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
ahh...profiles in moderation......yeah...there have been lots of great moderates in history.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater
So now....let's talk about hope. This guy is from a little town called Hope.
clinton_portrait.jpg