• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who flies the Buckeye?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except, you know, Prowlers are Tac-Air and are probably familiar with the concepts. Finding a tanker anyone? (just a guess)
You'd be surprised by the amount of BFM and A/A stuff the Prowlers get into. A good part of our Level III ACTC sylabus is all about defensive BFM and HVAA. We have a BFMC qual that we have to maintain which involves turning fights and BVR sets with CAT IV fighters. I would say that unless the bandit is willing to commit to a prolonged, fuel draining tail-chase (or has some long sticks he can throw my way), a Prowler will survive a neutral merge with a properly executed scram, and that's before you throw and jamming into the equasion. ;)

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's not like say a CH-46 guy teaching how to do ACM. I have a feeling they wouldn't let that slide.

Careful Fly, I've done merge intercepts while learning to maintain a higher energy state than the bad guy and no extra power available, all so we can roll into position and shoot a Jihad Airways aircraft (motto: Cheap one way tickets). But your point is taken. ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'd be surprised by the amount of BFM and A/A stuff the Prowlers get into. A good part of our Level III ACTC sylabus is all about defensive BFM and HVAA. We have a BFMC qual that we have to maintain which involves turning fights and BVR sets with CAT IV fighters. I would say that unless the bandit is willing to commit to a prolonged, fuel draining tail-chase (or has some long sticks he can throw my way), a Prowler will survive a neutral merge with a properly executed scram, and that's before you throw and jamming into the equasion. ;)

Brett

Yeah, I thought I remembered an ECMO acquaintance of mine saying they did some interesting A/A stuff, but I figured I'd let you chime in. I've been told the Prowler guys here do the best "bugs" in the ACM stage, which makes sense.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Careful Fly, I've done merge intercepts while learning to maintain a higher energy state than the bad guy and no extra power available, all so we can roll into position and shoot a Jihad Airways aircraft (motto: Cheap one way tickets). But your point is taken. ;)

You know what I meant, wasn't trying to slight. I've gotten a chance to fly a MH-60S and a CH-46D, and both were fun as sh!t. Respect goes your way, but still, come on :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know, and I was only half serious. But occasionally some of us do get to practice intercepts which are purely energy fights. But in no way is it the same in practice, just in theory.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Finding a tanker anyone? (just a guess)

There's a tiny bit more to all this than just pointing your radar in the right piece of sky and finding the dude. Just a little ;)

Brett327 said:
You'd be surprised by the amount of BFM and A/A stuff the Prowlers get into. A good part of our Level III ACTC sylabus is all about defensive BFM and HVAA

Well, I'm not surprised you guys get into BFM and such, but on-timeline 30-mile-out A/A radar intercepts? The impression I got from the Prowler bubbas who were drafted to help instruct there was that all the associated stuff was new territory for them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a tiny bit more to all this than just pointing your radar in the right piece of sky and finding the dude. Just a little ;)

Well, I'm not surprised you guys get into BFM and such, but on-timeline 30-mile-out A/A radar intercepts? The impression I got from the Prowler bubbas who were drafted to help instruct there was that all the associated stuff was new territory for them.
What's radar?:D

Edit: Our BVR sets are done with reverse GCI from the bandit because we're obviously blind. That's the way it's going to go down in the real world anyway, with radio calls from the E-2 or AWACS. Besides, the T-45 doesn't even have a radar, does it?

Brett

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Fly

When I left Meridian the Boeing T-45 Manager was there talking about the T-45 for NFO's. He said it will look like a radar screen, but instead of actually having a radar in the AC (to big for the 45) they will use a mode C interrogator and display the info on the screen as a radar hit.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly

When I left Meridian the Boeing T-45 Manager was there talking about the T-45 for NFO's. He said it will look like a radar screen, but instead of actually having a radar in the AC (to big for the 45) they will use a mode C interrogator and display the info on the screen as a radar hit.

Haven't heard that one. The information I got was from sitting in on a RAMP presentation by the Boeing engineers. They came from, well, Boeing, to talk about improvements to the T-45C system. Some of them were the ability to input transponder codes via the DEP, color MFDs, a FADEC (sp?), and the radar. The radar actually has funding too. It's supposed to be a synthetic aperature design. Questions were raised on whether the birds in Krock and Meridian would get that upgrade. They weren't sure, as there is no radar syllabus in the ... syllabus. I think it's for the NFOs, for when the T-39 and the T-2 go bye-bye per the Navy's aviation plans outlined in a publication I can't recall the name of but sits in our ready room.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
VT-9 was the Great Mixing Pot for IPs a few years back. We had an IP from every major community at the time except Prowlers and Tomcats. There was a Helo bubba there along with about 4 E-6 drivers. Lot's of C-2/E-2, S-3s and a couple of Hornet guys to make the ready room cranking on certain parts of the month.

Only a couple of non-tactical IPs ever made it to the Gun Pattern to teach. Mostly because of dwindling numbers but they had to want it bad enough and get along with the right people in order to be accepted.

Marines were everywhere and seemed to be mostly from the Harrier community because they were just flying like crazy to make up for the downtime while they were in the fleet.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Fly

That's what they said done in K'rock too. A psuedo-radar using the Mode C.

But its still a long way down the line (8-10 years was what was said)/

airwinger

pilot
VT-9 is the best squadron I've been in so far(only 4 though) it's seems the front office was relaxed which rolled down to the studs. Wierdly enough "Beav" a former VT-9 IP and Marine prowler guy said it was the best squadron he had been in..hmmmm

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
What's interesting about the T-45 pseudo-radar thing is that there is currently much more of a need for pilots to be familiar with radar work than NFO's. In fact, once the last two -14 squadrons go away, there really won't be many NFO's doing the primary A/A radar work.
That's a good point. For as much as the FOs focus on radar skilz in advanced, the pilots should at least get some kind of introduction prior to the RAG. Does this mean that when I'm in the backseat of my shiny new Shocker that I'll be able to use the old RIO pejorative on the Pilot? "Sh!t me a lock, radar boy?":D Plus ca change...

Brett

gyrene

Marine SNA
VT-9 is the best squadron I've been in so far(only 4 though) it's seems the front office was relaxed which rolled down to the studs. Wierdly enough "Beav" a former VT-9 IP and Marine prowler guy said it was the best squadron he had been in..hmmmm

is that the same Beav/Beave in VT-22 now?