• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who Drives an Aircraft Carrier?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I have few questions. Are Chengs. CEC officers or SWOS? Is there a big difference between LDO nukes and regular nuke officers? What exactly would a SWO do on a carrier, I’ve only ever been on carrier? The only SWO I met personally was the deseron “spell check”, maybe because I was air. But I have never seen any junior swos on a carrier before as divos or dh.

Engineering on a carrier is divided into two parts: Reactor and Everything Else (DC, Hydraulics, non-nuclear Electrical, etc.). Reactor handles water production, propulsion, electrical production, and other nuclear things. Reactor is overseen by the Reactor Officer who is usually an O6 of equal rank/seniority as the CO. Engineering is overseen by the CHENG who is usually an Engineering Duty Officer or Limited Duty Officer with the engineering specialty. As others have said, there are very few actual SWOs on a carrier and any self-respecting SWO would be advised to avoid a carrier tour.

Oh I see, so the Cheng on a carrier is most likely SWO/EDO like DH (05)

SWOs (1110) and EDOs (1440) are two separate designators.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
Engineering on a carrier is divided into two parts: Reactor and Everything Else (DC, Hydraulics, non-nuclear Electrical, etc.). Reactor handles water production, propulsion, electrical production, and other nuclear things. Reactor is overseen by the Reactor Officer who is usually an O6 of equal rank/seniority as the CO. Engineering is overseen by the CHENG who is usually an Engineering Duty Officer or Limited Duty Officer with the engineering specialty. As others have said, there are very few actual SWOs on a carrier and any self-respecting SWO would be advised to avoid a carrier tour.

Ok that makes sense now.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins

Besides bonuses, what else can be done for the negative impact of the SWO community. It sounds border line toxic. The SWOs that do seem to enjoy it are the people I served with as former ABEs. We can work some long hours out to sea but the people you serve with makes all the difference. Even a command as a whole.

exNavyOffRec

Besides bonuses, what else can be done for the negative impact of the SWO community. It sounds border line toxic. The SWOs that do seem to enjoy it are the people I served with as former ABEs. We can work some long hours out to sea but the people you serve with makes all the difference. Even a command as a whole.
I know many SWO's that enjoyed their time. In my experience the ones that didn't enjoy their time as a SWO had a bad CO/XO, if you have a good leader who motivates and acknowledges hard work people will often work harder for that person because they want to do the right thing.

We had a Reactor Officer (temporary) who came to us after the last guy was fired, he basically said it was going to take hard work and longer hours to get us back to where we were, but he was such a motivating person we did it. The whole department came together and morale went up even as we worked long hours with 3 duty sections. This was the same RO that I caught at a bad moment when I asked him something and he yelled at me in front of my staff, I kept my cool and a short time later he came back and apologized for losing his cool saying it was not professional for him to do that. Him doing that was the correct thing for him to do but also earned him a lot of points with my staff as they saw how important it was to him to do the right thing.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

There's a myriad of issues of issues within the SWO community and not just one root cause that's decaying everything else.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
and a short time later he came back and apologized for losing his cool saying it was not professional for him to do that
Watershed is here. All this was absolutely impossible in Soviet Navy. I mean, chewing someone who's subordinate was common thing but apologies.... I don't remember apologies at all, especially on public. I think this is one of few root reasons why russian navy is dead and gone now.

Renegade One

None
... he yelled at me in front of my staff, I kept my cool and a short time later he came back and apologized for losing his cool saying it was not professional for him to do that. Him doing that was the correct thing for him to do but also earned him a lot of points with my staff as they saw how important it was to him to do the right thing....
Um...what was your billet and tell me more about "your staff". I admit to being confused.

exNavyOffRec

Um...what was your billet and tell me more about "your staff". I admit to being confused.
I was the Reactor Training LCPO and so it was my and my LCDR, but due to his daily duties I handled all the day to day duties of the division, my staff at the time were 8 PO1's and PO2's and at the time we had about 30-40 students in training. The students heard some yelling but didn't know who or why, but nearly all the staff were there and in the office. It would be common for me to interact directly with the Reactor Officer and also the CO for getting various items signed, so much so that when I was getting ready to transfer the CO set up a time for us to talk in his cabin for about 30 minutes.

Renegade One

None
I was the Reactor Training LCPO and so it was my and my LCDR, but due to his daily duties I handled all the day to day duties of the division, my staff at the time were 8 PO1's and PO2's and at the time we had about 30-40 students in training. The students heard some yelling but didn't know who or why, but nearly all the staff were there and in the office. It would be common for me to interact directly with the Reactor Officer and also the CO for getting various items signed, so much so that when I was getting ready to transfer the CO set up a time for us to talk in his cabin for about 30 minutes.
Got it. Thanks.