• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who Drives an Aircraft Carrier?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In other odd things dealing with water when I was on the Lincoln I had to figure out how to unrep potable water to one of our DDG's, we fueled them up and then gave them water.
I hope the funk wasn’t too bad when you pulled alongside . . .

BigRed389

None
Yeah, but didn't at least some of those folks have to start out as SWOs and then switch? I remember when I commissioned in the early 2000's, we had some SWO/METOC and SWO/Oceanography types in my ROTC class, and the expectation for all of them was that they had to earn a SWO pin first. Maybe that was just a momentary thing?

That’s a little different - having somebody do a URL tour or two as a SWO before they convert is different from what I was talking about...had a senior O3 METOC in my SWOS class who was required to get a SWO pin for the O4 board who had come off a CVN as an example.

taxi1

pilot
Our best OODs were SWO options and a host of random others (aviators and LDOs).
Friend of mine, metoc from day one, was the pacfleet ship handler of the year. He was also a competitive sailor, so a good judge of things on the water.

JWL

How long is the disassociated tour? Two years? Won't an aviator get rusty if he/she does not fly for two whole years? Is there any chance to fly during that time?

Can the disassociated tours at least be fun and/or interesting? What kind of jobs do aviators do on a ship when not flying?

MGoBrew11

pilot
How long is the disassociated tour? Two years? Won't an aviator get rusty if he/she does not fly for two whole years? Is there any chance to fly during that time?

Can the disassociated tours at least be fun and/or interesting? What kind of jobs do aviators do on a ship when not flying?

Disassociated tour length depends on career timing (namely O4/DH selection) but it is nominally two years long.

Yes, aviators get rusty while not flying. SOME disassociated tours allow you the opportunity to fly. They are the exception, not the rule.

To knock off the rust, aviators that have been on a disassociated tour come back through the FRS before going out to the fleet. As an FRS Instructor, I can tell you that they pick flying back up very quickly.

Disassociated tours are not typically viewed as fun or interesting by aviators, but many people will come back from them and say they at least learned something or appreciated them in some way. The jobs available are varied, but for the most part you are working in a shipboard department. Could be Air Operations, Air Safety, Shooter etc. You learn to drive the ship on your "off" time and on watch.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Most boats seemed to have normal, "nice" shower heads (5gpm or greater) instead of low flow "Navy" heads (1-3gpm) and thus I never felt the slightest bit of guilt about any shower I ever took.

Let's see, 300~ish people on a smallboy crew, if everybody is hustling and uses only 5 minutes of water a day, these things will save the ship a few thousand gallons of potable water every single day of cruise. That's using conservative numbers.

61MO0g7g9pL._AC_UY218_.jpg

They're also cheaper.

"Don't take Hollywood showers" is one of those clarion calls of hurr-durr leadership, same as things like the guy at the safety stand down who says to always drive the speed limit for safety. FWIW the Army was just as dumb in their hardware choices for field showers...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Most boats seemed to have normal, "nice" shower heads (5gpm or greater) instead of low flow "Navy" heads (1-3gpm) and thus I never felt the slightest bit of guilt about any shower I ever took.

Let's see, 300~ish people on a smallboy crew, if everybody is hustling and uses only 5 minutes of water a day, these things will save the ship a few thousand gallons of potable water every single day of cruise. That's using conservative numbers.

They're also cheaper.

"Don't take Hollywood showers" is one of those clarion calls of hurr-durr leadership, same as things like the guy at the safety stand down who says to always drive the speed limit for safety. FWIW the Army was just as dumb in their hardware choices for field showers...
On the topic of Navy showers:. My grandfather was an Engineering Officer on board Essex class carriers and other old steam powered ships in the post-WWII Navy. I think water used to be a bigger deal for those ships as my grandfather still took "Navy showers" well past his retirement. Old habits die hard I guess and I'd imagine as one of the engineering officers he had a lot of personal incentive for not harming the steam plant.

JWL

Disassociated tour length depends on career timing (namely O4/DH selection) but it is nominally two years long.

Yes, aviators get rusty while not flying. SOME disassociated tours allow you the opportunity to fly. They are the exception, not the rule.

To knock off the rust, aviators that have been on a disassociated tour come back through the FRS before going out to the fleet. As an FRS Instructor, I can tell you that they pick flying back up very quickly.

Disassociated tours are not typically viewed as fun or interesting by aviators, but many people will come back from them and say they at least learned something or appreciated them in some way. The jobs available are varied, but for the most part you are working in a shipboard department. Could be Air Operations, Air Safety, Shooter etc. You learn to drive the ship on your "off" time and on watch.

Thanks, Brew

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

They're also cheaper.

What happened to "button" showers? You don't have a plastic head on a hose that you had to hold a button down on? It required one dedicate hand just to get water flow. Basically, you were forced into a Navy shower. Rinse, lather up, rinse. You would have to carry a C clamp rig into the head to get a good Hollywood shower.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What happened to "button" showers? You don't have a plastic head on a hose that you had to hold a button down on? It required one dedicate hand just to get water flow. Basically, you were forced into a Navy shower. Rinse, lather up, rinse. You would have to carry a C clamp rig into the head to get a good Hollywood shower.
Nope . . . normal lever-style shower valves on my early 2010s CVN. Worst you'd get was some overmotivated HT installing one of those damn low-flow POSes. In which case you made a mental note, put your robe back on, moved to a different stall, and avoided the first one until the mist machine broke and they put in something normal.