• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who are our phrog pilots out there?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The CNCS (GPS, COMM) and Bullphrog mods have been around so long, no one here will probably know the difference.

Granted! But it's the first time all these incremental improvements have been employed in sustained combat operations.

I'm curious how the machine is performing, getting from point A to B in all kinds of wx, etc. What drivers and crews love about the machine and what still sux!

Side note - are 53D's in theatre?

phrogpilot73

Granted! But it's the first time all these incremental improvements have been employed in sustained combat operations.

I'm curious how the machine is performing, getting from point A to B in all kinds of wx, etc. What drivers and crews love about the machine and what still sux!

Side note - are 53D's in theatre?

I know at one point they were, not sure if they're still there or not. I flew the mighty Phrog in Iraq for 7 months, averaging about 6.5 hours per night. GPS, CNCS, etc are all great...

My only gripe are the T58-GE16-A's. They seem to fail at a higher rate than the standard T58-GE16's. Our squadron had 3 engine failures in 7 months, all of them -A's. I had mine at the 5 mile ring of TQ... Talk about a being able to turn coal into diamond!

ChuckMK23

pilot
I know at one point they were, not sure if they're still there or not. I flew the mighty Phrog in Iraq for 7 months, averaging about 6.5 hours per night. GPS, CNCS, etc are all great...

My only gripe are the T58-GE16-A's. They seem to fail at a higher rate than the standard T58-GE16's. Our squadron had 3 engine failures in 7 months, all of them -A's. I had mine at the 5 mile ring of TQ... Talk about a being able to turn coal into diamond!

Hey that's what the Fuel Dump switches are for :)

phrogpilot73

Hey that's what the Fuel Dump switches are for :)
I calmed down once I realized that I was single engine capable. (It was April at night). Once I got back to the squadron all the field grade grabbed me and asked me "So, does it look like it does in the simulator?!?" Apparently, none of them had ever had an Nf flex shaft failure...

My buddy had one leaving Ramadi in late July with 13 pax on board - turned back toward the pad (room for two Phrogs, and slightly elevated), dumped fuel all the way down and only made the pad by 6 inches...

jtusega

She still gets 'er done...

A typical squadron does about this in a short period of time:
4300+ hours
350+ Urgent CASEVACs
600,000+ pounds of cargo
16,000+ passengers

Semper Fi,
JT

ChuckMK23

pilot
Holy Christ! You guys are flying the sh!t out of those things. 14 airframes per squadron right? That's a lot of hours.

You know HQMC would never allow the V-22 to be deployed to The Sandbox - so what are you guys going to do for lift once all The HMM's transition - you have to figure we will be there 5 more years...

ChuckMK23

pilot
Just a reminder - CDR Williams who is sitting up on orbit right now -s a former Phrog Driver. I believe she was HC-8. Her husband Mike served with me in HC-6. Good people, both of them.

200px-Sunita_Williams.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Barring a precipitous overall reduction in forces, it will. I won't talk units and dates, but this thing will be flying in combat within the next 18 months. I'll bet you a night of drinks on me at the New River O-club the day the VMM leaves town.

phrogpilot73

Barring a precipitous overall reduction in forces, it will. I won't talk units and dates, but this thing will be flying in combat within the next 18 months. I'll bet you a night of drinks on me at the New River O-club the day the VMM leaves town.
C'mon man, that's a sucker bet... You and I both know you have inside information...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
C'mon man, that's a sucker bet... You and I both know you have inside information...

Exactly. That's why the #1 rule about making public statements is "Stay in your lane." If you don't know, don't try to sound like you do.

You can believe butt-monkey nay-sayers like Carlton Meyer and Harry Dunn, or you can believe someone who flies the damn thing. As an aviator, I know who I'd choose.