• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who are our phrog pilots out there?

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
I'm currently at HMM(T) 164 at Camp Pendleton going through the replacement air crew syllabus. So far, I love the phrog. How bout everyone else?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Former ;)

How are the "gold striped" t-58-16's working out? New "Russian" coating on the engine blades?

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
Not bad... the engines are pretty decent. What's more fun is the new engine control system. The old power management system has been replaced by a computer controlled system. It's changed the first step on every EP from "PMS- off" to "Arm Manual Trim".

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Former CH-46 pilot, now V-22. Loved the phrog, but it was time to satisfy the midlife crisis and divorce the old hag and replace her with a brand-new trophy wife.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting read about the "trophy wife". Not sure what is true and what is not, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.g2mil.com/Duma.htm

WRT the linked page, lots of stuff fails OPEVAL and still makes it to the fleet. There is a lot more to it than simply saying, "Well, the spec says cruise at 275 kts, but we can only do 255, so we'll just sh!tcan the whole design and go back to the drawing board." I understand that this isn't the thrust of the thread, but people need to understand that there are competing interests involved in the equation, and sometimes getting a usable (albeit imperfect) product out to fleet end users is preferable to no product at all, or additional cost over-runs. Things can get fixed down the road as required. That's what AFCs and software upgrades are for. [/rant]

Brett

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Not bad... the engines are pretty decent. What's more fun is the new engine control system. The old power management system has been replaced by a computer controlled system. It's changed the first step on every EP from "PMS- off" to "Arm Manual Trim".

I still remember the OEI/Single Engine EP from stinking memory - having had to use the thing at least twice - both PMS related by the way

PMS off
MAX Beep
70 Kts
Crossfeed closed
Gauges checked
Yaw (15 deg)
Emerg Throttle
Apu...

Ahhhh... That fine combination of electro-mechanical HELL that was called the engine control system/Power Management System on the '46 series. HELL!

Quick trivia question - anyone know where boeing came up with the Engine Condition Actuators (ECA) on the '46? (I'm talking D's. F's and E's)

OK since you are dieing to kow - Boeing (then Vertol) was looking for an inexpensive mechanism to turn electrical signals from a rehostat into circular mechanical motion/position with some degree of accuracy - as it happened the Fuel jettison valve actuator from the B-29 did the same thing and their were plenty in supply and the OEM would still make them - ta-da! you have the that little mechanical device that listen's to the Engine Condition Levers and programs in the appropriate anount of rotary position to the engine condition valve on the fuel conrol unit of the T-58 series engine.

Note that the H-3 bubbasas never had the same problem as us because their engines were mounted on the roof and the the ECL's up on the upper overhead console - a physical control wire set up worked fine and was trouble free....

Now back to our regularly scheduled AW programming! :) :)

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
honestly, I'm interseted to see what the V-22 will do for us. I figure it'll be a little while until I actually have to learn it. There are so many rumor mills running as to when we'll see them implemented here in the west coast. I'm impressed by it....but I'm not going to think about it until I've got more flights with the 46 under my belt... and a deployment or two.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
I still remember the OEI/Single Engine EP from stinking memory - having had to use the thing at least twice - both PMS related by the way

PMS off
MAX Beep
70 Kts
Crossfeed closed
Gauges checked
Yaw (15 deg)
Emerg Throttle
Apu...

Ahhhh... That fine combination of electro-mechanical HELL that was called the engine control system/Power Management System on the '46 series. HELL!

yeah... the new EP goes
Arm Manual Trim
Collective to maintain 94% Nr
Beep Max on Unaffected Engine
70kts
Guages
Single Engine Capable?
Fuel/cargo jet
15 yaw
select a landing spot
APU

a few extra steps and a little more fun... the manual trim adds a new dimension to s/e steps. it's not like the PMS where you aren't allowed to get into topping.. with the new system you can go into topping without even thinking about it hard.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Interesting read about the "trophy wife". Not sure what is true and what is not, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.g2mil.com/Duma.htm

I've read that articale on G2.mil. It is a POS. First, the V-22 passed every Key Performance Parameter (KPP in acquisition jargon) set for it. That's a cut and dried fact, no matter what Meyer says. Secondly, my personal observations flying the V-22 contradict his BS. I'll just give a couple examples. He claims a max empty range of 500 miles. I've flawn over 50% further than that on a tank of gas, and that wasn't even at best burn altitudes and speeds. He says that it can only fly 185 knots at 200 feet--complete crap. I've flown at 220+ at that altitude. He says the cabin temp falls to 14F at 18000 feet--again, crap. I've flown at high altitude in the V-22 in a flight suit with no jacket or long johns and felt just fine.

Carlton Meyer is a hack. If he had his way, we'd be fighting with rocks, because those are the simplest and most reliable weapons system available.

This wasn't a V-22 thread, and I didn't mean to start one. If anyone does, I'll be glad to participate. I have over 1000 CH-46 hours, and they were a blast. I'm at about 150 in the V-22, and I love it. Every so often, I glance at the nacelles as they come down and say to myself,"This thing rocks!"