• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who are our phrog pilots out there?

jtusega

Clarification...

A typical squadron does about this in a short period of time:
4300+ hours
350+ Urgent CASEVACs
600,000+ pounds of cargo
16,000+ passengers

Semper Fi,
JT

I don't remember saying that a typical squadron does this in a short period of time. Those are our stats from the sandbox. We're flying more hours than other squadrons out here, hours that haven't been flown since Vietnam (when they had more airframes). We have a big squadron, with some aircraft usually in phase. Pilots are averaging 80+ hour months, and it's not unusual for more than one to need to get a hundred hour waiver.

Good times, good times...

JT

phrogpilot73

I don't remember saying that a typical squadron does this in a short period of time. Those are our stats from months in the sandbox. We're flying more hours than other squadrons out here, hours that haven't been flown since Vietnam (when they had more airframes). We have a big squadron, with some aircraft usually in phase. Pilots are averaging 80+ hour months, and it's not unusual for more than one to need to get a hundred hour waiver.

Good times, good times...

JT
I'm guessing Foghorn is in your squadron. Tell him Stinky says hello, and that I'm going the way of Deuce.

airfrogusmc

Old 46D Crewchief 90-93. Now the black bus. Bigger doesn't always equate to better...if you were wondering.

They still had D model in the 90s? WOW. 73 -77 and was a crewchief on Ds and Fs GE-T-58-10 engines. The Ds were old in 76 when I was in HMM 165 allot of them in Nam. I thought the Corps had switched to all E models in the 1980s.

KBayDog

Pedro is still HH-46D, though they are transitioning to -46E, as well. (The transition could be complete for all I know.)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
CH-46 D's were the mainstay of Navy Combat Support squadrons through about 2003. I think at the peak the Navy had about 120 CH-46D's in the inventory. T58GE-10 engines.

Navy and the few Marine Corp D's received SR&M upgrades in the 80's which included new flight control computers, new hyd plumbing, new wiring, and a host of other small upgrades (VHF/UHF radios). All in all it was still the same bird in many ways.

Remember the F was an offshoot - it retained the D's engines but incorporated redesigned cockpit, additional armor, and their was all weather/IFR formation capability that was later dropped.

F's became E's with the -16 engines.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Pedro is still HH-46D, though they are transitioning to -46E, as well. (The transition could be complete for all I know.)

I believed it was announced a few months ago that Pedro be retired at MCAS and USCG will take over SAR duties for Cherry Point, Beaufort, Mirimar, etc.

There was at one time a plan to give the USMC stripped SH-60F's that are surplus aircraft... I'm not sure where that went. There is a PPT floating around detailing it that has HQMC logo on it...

airfrogusmc

CH-46 D's were the mainstay of Navy Combat Support squadrons through about 2003. I think at the peak the Navy had about 120 CH-46D's in the inventory. T58GE-10 engines.

Navy and the few Marine Corp D's received SR&M upgrades in the 80's which included new flight control computers, new hyd plumbing, new wiring, and a host of other small upgrades (VHF/UHF radios). All in all it was still the same bird in many ways.

Remember the F was an offshoot - it retained the D's engines but incorporated redesigned cockpit, additional armor, and their was all weather/IFR formation capability that was later dropped.

F's became E's with the -16 engines.

Thanks for the info. So the Fs were refitted with the -16 engines? They sure got their moneys worth from those old Ds and Fs. I remember all the problems we had with EPPS on the Ds & Fs (significant power lose when they were installed) and it was APP on the Ds and APU on the Fs. We use to always give our first mechs the work out of priming the hydraulic systems.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Back in the day you had a switch in the cockpit where you actually monitored Ng and T5 of the APP during start - with the APU you pretty much just started the thing "set and forget"