• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
@mad dog has a Glycine:

Yeppers...I have a Glycine Airman GMT 2000 that I purchased new as a new hire at the regionals back in the mid 1990s...I believe it was $200 - $300 at the time. It’s a quartz watch and unfortunately I left the battery in it when the battery was depleted...and the depleted battery leaked and rendered the movement inoperable. Lesson learned...don’t leave dead batteries in watches. I never had the movement replaced due to transitioning to mechanical watches several years ago.

The pic below is from the internet but it’s the same Glycine Airman GMT 2000 that I have...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Reveille was at 0615 today...Speedy Tuesday...1964 and 2014 model years respectively...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey @mad dog . Do you have any automatic watches? If so, do you have one of those fancy moving boxes/displays? For the winders, you have an obsessive compulsive routine to keep any wound and running? I always found it a hassle to reset a date, if it had them, when a watch ran down. I suppose you could wait until that date rolled around again and wind it then.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Hey @mad dog . Do you have any automatic watches? If so, do you have one of those fancy moving boxes/displays? For the winders, you have an obsessive compulsive routine to keep any wound and running? I always found it a hassle to reset a date, if it had them, when a watch ran down. I suppose you could wait until that date rolled around again and wind it then.
Yeppers, yeppers, and yeppers. I have two Orbita winders. Like you said...they are handy if you don’t want to reset the day/date as well as the time. Pictured below on my Orbita winders are my 1986 Seiko 6309-7049 automatic [from the NASWF NEX] and 2016 Seiko SRP777K1 automatic...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I always found it a hassle to reset a date

Except for the bottom left watch, still have to reset dates for every month without 31 days. The bottom left has a 4 year perpetual calendar so just on February 29 every 4 years.

But I know where you're coming from. A good watch winder is damn expensive though.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
liability for over winding
Never seen or heard of a watch winder taking responsibility and I doubt they have any liability. No protections in their paperwork, just disclaimers denying any liability.

I modern self-winding automatic watch can't be overwound. The moving pieces won't let it.

Older ones, you can break the spring. But these are ones without the self-winding feature. A winder won't work with them anyway.