• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Mind sharing what brand is that?

It’s actually 2 stacked.

Wolf Meridian triple winder.

I like them because they are quite, you can program number of turns & direction, and they have a programmable power reserve setting (delay between winding cycles) to let your watch wind down instead of always being completely wound.

Last edited:

GroundPounder

Yeppers!

Check out this winder for manual wind watches...

View attachment 27087

I have an acquaintance that runs a limo service in NYC, and his experience might explain the price of that watch winder.

Long story short, he started out a driver with a different company, and decided to open his own service, with the blessing of his original employer. His plan was to offer the same service and quality of car but at less than half the price of his original company, and still make a profit. The client base was predominately entertainment industry people flying from LA to NYC. While in NYC, they basically have car assigned to them 24/7.

After several months, he is not doing as well as he thought and seeks counsel with his previous employer. He is told that the best thing he can do is to raise his prices to at least as much, which he balks at. His old boss explains to him that the people he serves do not go back to LA and brag about a good deal they got, and they saved X amount on this trip. He was told that what they want to be able to do is go back and brag about spending 30K on a car for two days.

He followed the advice he got, and now has a fleet of Rolls Royce Phantoms.

I think at this price point the watch winder is conspicuous consumption.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
This is the wind-up watch I bought off eBay a couple years ago. It does everything I want, nothing more and nothing less- it tells the time and it has a simple, understated, but nice appearance.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I modern self-winding automatic watch can't be overwound. The moving pieces won't let it.

Older ones, you can break the spring. But these are ones without the self-winding feature. A winder won't work with them anyway.
My comment about over winding was regarding manual stem wind watches. Winder MD pictured is for manual wind watches. I understand automatics may not be over wound. That would be quite a limitation on a persons movements throughout the day if it could be over wound simply by living your life. So the question stands. Can a modern manual wind watch be over wound to the point of damage, or do they have an effective hard stop to prevent that?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Speedy Wednesday...back to Jupiter to get more stupider...the wife unit and I just delivered our youngest, mad dog junior, for his sophomore year at Ohio State. I thought it appropriate to wear my old college stuff from the 1980s...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Can a modern manual wind watch be over wound to the point of damage, or do they have an effective hard stop to prevent that?

I don’t have any manual wind so I’ve never researched this. Sorry can’t answer that one.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mechanical watches...and what looks like under amour batting gloves.

Didn't know they made them out of Nomex. Perfect for when the pitcher is throwing heaters.
I'll mentally file that in the same category as the soles of my allegedly-unauthorized Red Wings. i.e. "if they're on fire, you probably should have ejected a long while back anyway."

Of course these days, for my old SELRES ass, it'd be an even bigger problem, because it'd mean that the CAOC was on fire . . . :D