• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Whoops, my bad.

I still stand by my comment about Omega’s many additions to the Speedmaster line though.
Totally agree about Omega’s LEs...boat loads of them...so many boat loads of LEs that a standard issue Speedmaster seems like...

...wait for it...

...here it comes...

...get ready...

...an LE.

:D

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I don't get the watch at that price point. Should it sell at a premium over the regular Moonwatch? Of course. But for $14k you're well into Rolex territory (the supply issues of the past few years notwithstanding) and I doubt the 321 will hold it's value as well compared to steel Rolexes.

Absolutely gorgeous watch though. :oops:

Its probably going to compete with the Daytona market. The movement is made by hand via one watchmaker at a time, and esteemed British watchmaker and George Daniel's protege Roger Smith said during a Hodinkee interview that the 321 movement is one of the best ever made. Time will tell if it stays at 14K. I hope it does not.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Anyone have any experience selling custom watches, ones with personal engraving on the back and custom faces - i.e. Breitlings and Bremonts? Where did you sell them? Was it easy to sell? Did you have to sell at a discount?

I'm thinking of consolidating my watch collection into just 1 or 2 watches.

I had one with engraving, jeweler just buffed out the engraving, but it was gold.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Its probably going to compete with the Daytona market. The movement is made by hand via one watchmaker at a time, and esteemed British watchmaker and George Daniel's protege Roger Smith said during a Hodinkee interview that the 321 movement is one of the best ever made. Time will tell if it stays at 14K. I hope it does not.

Uh, no. No matter what Omega says as they push up-market, it isn't competing with the Daytona. And all these "limited editions" just serve to cheapen the brand. They could've held the line in the mid to low four digits, but they chased Rolex up market. I got my Seamaster Planet Ocean new in 2011 for ~$2250. That same watch (steel on steel) retails for $6500 now. GTFO. I fucking love my X-33 and the free service on it has been amazing, but Omega has gone full stupid.

I'm in the middle east right now and Rolex stock is way better than the states. Still want the Steel Pepsi GMT IIc, but can't find that anywhere (No Subs, GMT, or Daytona in steel. Platinum or Gold, yes). I shopped for a while and ended up with the Explorer II with White dial and I'm pretty damn happy.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Uh, no. No matter what Omega says as they push up-market, it isn't competing with the Daytona. And all these "limited editions" just serve to cheapen the brand. They could've held the line in the mid to low four digits, but they chased Rolex up market. I got my Seamaster Planet Ocean new in 2011 for ~$2250. That same watch (steel on steel) retails for $6500 now. GTFO. I fucking love my X-33 and the free service on it has been amazing, but Omega has gone full stupid.

I'm in the middle east right now and Rolex stock is way better than the states. Still want the Steel Pepsi GMT IIc, but can't find that anywhere (No Subs, GMT, or Daytona in steel. Platinum or Gold, yes). I shopped for a while and ended up with the Explorer II with White dial and I'm pretty damn happy.
Watches in general seem to have gone full stupid in pricing in the past decade. 10yrs ago I would have considered a $2500 Omega as a lifetime purchase. There's no way I'd consider buying a 7-10k Omega over a Rolex. It I was seriously in the market id give a lot of thought to a Tudor these days; basically a Rolex at sane prices. Otherwise if I wanted a nice-ish tool watch I'd consider a quartz watch such as one of the prospex seikos. I've also been increasingly annoyed at having to reset my automatic watch if I decide to not wear it for a day or to counteract it's weekly creep. Also if I really wanted to commit to being a guy with lots of watches I'd have to settle for cheaper options to build a collection as I've got a mortgage, college to think about, kids clothes, etc. Life gets expensive in middle age and I'd really rather have a brick walkway and porch then a Rolex.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I mean a moonwatch will always be a good value and long lasting pre owned, unless you absolutely have to own new. Tudors are near Rolex quality for sure, but if you want a ROLEX, nothing else will ever scratch that itch because nothing else is a rolex. Its hard enough to get a steel sports Rolex anyways. The stores in Jacksonville have had nothing but datejusts and cellinis in the case for the longest time. I did see a new ceramic Root Beer in a boutique on Louisiana but thats about it from my personal experience.

A 321 movement Speedy will IMHO will be more horologically impressive than its counterpart modern Daytona. From a marketing standpoint, Daytonas are practically unobtainable in the stores and cost even more second hand and thats just genius, and evil.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I mean a moonwatch will always be a good value and long lasting pre owned, unless you absolutely have to own new. Tudors are near Rolex quality for sure, but if you want a ROLEX, nothing else will ever scratch that itch because nothing else is a rolex. Its hard enough to get a steel sports Rolex anyways. The stores in Jacksonville have had nothing but datejusts and cellinis in the case for the longest time. I did see a new ceramic Root Beer in a boutique on Louisiana but thats about it from my personal experience.

A 321 movement Speedy will IMHO will be more horologically impressive than its counterpart modern Daytona. From a marketing standpoint, Daytonas are practically unobtainable in the stores and cost even more second hand and thats just genius, and evil.
I guess that's my point, if I'm going to pay Rolex prices I'm going to get a Rolex. Just because Brand X is as expensive doesn't mean it has all the trappings that come with the Rolex. Shit, if I just wanted to tell time I'd get a Timex. I had an Ironman for years as a kid that I never took off and it literally "took a licking and kept on ticking." For $30 I could get the same watch and I might have to change batteries at some point in the next decade.

The moonwatch is a cool piece of history. And I should've bought one before I had kids back when AAFES was selling them for 2k.

Basically I'm just whining because I know that even if I did buy a Rolex in a few years I'd be eyeing something else. So maybe the ogling is what I'm really all about and ownership is overrated. It would be like wanting and eventually buying a Ferrari. Within a few months you'd be wishing you had the minivan/SUV back because it's easier to live a real life with.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
The moonwatch is a cool piece of history. And I should've bought one before I had kids back when AAFES was selling them for 2k.
Gee whiz, Pags...just go get a Speedmaster 2915-1 and be done with it, dude. :D

BarryD

Contributor
@mad dog it’s Seiko Saturday?
So this watch stopped working for about 4 months as the crown came out and I managed to get it screwed in but couldn’t adjust the time. Pulled it out of the drawer the other day and banged it against the table a few times and now it is once again working.

I guess the “drop item from a height of 12-24 inches” philosophy does work.