• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
An excuse for a WW pic - was rooting around old storage cabinet in my office. Discovered an awesome roll of US Govt 100mph tape and a long expired survival kit ration (which is going to @mad dog for taste test)
View attachment 29890

View attachment 29889
I'd like to see a full report from @mad dog taste test. Obituary that covers death by botulism is acceptable.

@ChuckMK23, please don't kill @mad dog! AW would be a sadder place without the constant Dunkin and Speedy shitposting.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone had a chance to handle the new Speedmaster yet?

This guy on YT isn't a fan:

Seems like a bit of an exaggeration, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone has similar/different experiences with the new one.
@ChuckMK23 and I were very curious about the new 3861...so, today, we ventured to a local Cincinnati Omega AD. We were able to experience the new 3861 Moonwatch in the metal and do a side-by-side comparison with our older 1861 Moonwatches. The case edges of the 3861 did NOT feel any sharper than the case edges on our older 1861s...

Pags

N/A
pilot
@ChuckMK23 and I were very curious about the new 3861...so, today, we ventured to a local Cincinnati Omega AD. We were able to experience the new 3861 Moonwatch in the metal and do a side-by-side comparison with our older 1861 Moonwatches. The case edges of the 3861 did NOT feel any sharper than the case edges on our older 1861s...

View attachment 29947

View attachment 29945

View attachment 29948

View attachment 29946
Did you buy enough for everyone in this thread?

OscarMyers

None

View attachment 29947

View attachment 29945

View attachment 29948

View attachment 29946

Thanks for this RECCE! That will give me a warm fuzzy in the event I'm not able to make it to a boutique to buy it. I was hemming and hawing about it until the wife mentioned it the other day for my grad gift. So I guess I'm back in the hunt. Any noticeable differences in the new movement?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...Any noticeable differences in the new movement?
Unknown...we couldn’t see the new 3871 movement since the one [and only] 3871 they had on property had the steel caseback. @ChuckMK23 may have slightly wound the new 3871 to check the smoothness of the winding compared to our 1861s...so he may have some input on that. He may have also checked the chronograph functions. I didn’t check anything other than the edge sharpness and the new box...I was sort of afraid to do much else since I was wearing a Metallica t-shirt, my high school letterman jacket [from 1979], and a Hooters hat & mask combo.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
My 1978 861 has to move over for new 2021 3861. My wife bought the 861 on left for me and let me buy the new one.
View attachment 29957
Very cool, @Seawolf42 . ?

Now all you need is a 321 and an 1861 and you’ll have all the Speedmaster calibers! ?

So what’s your take on the case edges [specifically on the underside of the lugs] regarding the new 3861? Do they feel somewhat sharp? Do they feel ridiculously sharp?

Seawolf42

Yes, the underside of the lugs is pretty sharp. My wrist is smaller these days so I just wear it loose. It seems ok that way. I have the bracelet on order, will see how that works. I have a TISSOT with the Lemania post column gear movement circa 1970 that I have had for years. I will get it to the shop soon and get the numbers on it. Since the 861 cost $379 new in 1978 I will probably tap the breaks on buying another one soon. It is very tempting though.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
DOH...just noticed this...I previously stated the incorrect movement number in post #2,256...corrected below...

Unknown...we couldn’t see the new 3871 3861 movement since the one [and only] 3871 3861 they had on property had the steel caseback. @ChuckMK23 may have slightly wound the new 3871 3861 to check the smoothness of the winding compared to our 1861s...so he may have some input on that. He may have also checked the chronograph functions. I didn’t check anything other than the edge sharpness and the new box...I was sort of afraid to do much else since I was wearing a Metallica t-shirt, my high school letterman jacket [from 1979], and a Hooters hat & mask combo.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Yes, the underside of the lugs is pretty sharp. My wrist is smaller these days so I just wear it loose. It seems ok that way. I have the bracelet on order, will see how that works. I have a TISSOT with the Lemania post column gear movement circa 1970 that I have had for years. I will get it to the shop soon and get the numbers on it. Since the 861 cost $379 new in 1978 I will probably tap the breaks on buying another one soon. It is very tempting though.
Copy...thanks for the feedback, sir.

Also, your 1978 861 [145022] is worth considerably more than $379 now [which you probably already knew]...check out the www.speedmaster101.com price chart below. Based on the pic that you previously posted, I would estimate that the condition of your 1978 861 [145022] is either “good” or “very good”. The progression from left to right on the chart is “poor”, “fair”, “good”, “very good”, and “excellent”. I included the condition descriptors in the second pic which are also from www.speedmaster101.com ...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
It’s Speedy Tuesday...105.003 from 1964...

Also, it’s Hooters Military Tuesday...20% off for mil vets...