• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Ride?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
During my adulting I have had five pick ups, all Fords but one. Have now settle on a Nissan Frontier now that the kids are gone. A minivan and three SUVs for the family. Now a 2017 Jeep Cherokee. For Mrs Wink's commuter car, a rag top 1998 Mustang, convertible 2003 Mercedes CLK 430, a drop top 2012 Jaguar XK, and now a convertible 2019 Mercedes SLC 300. The XK was strikingly beautiful. Very fun to drive, but lived up to it's British heritage. The little SLC turbo four banger sounds like crap when it starts up. But select a sport mode that retunes the exhaust and it sounds as good as it drives. That little thing really moves out. Lots of fun. But the jewel in the Wink garage is a 1981 RX-7. I am the second owner. Highly modified. Lowered, stiffened, headers, Holly 4 barrel 500 cfm carb, high pressure fuel pump, relocated battery, stainless steal hoses, aluminum radiator, larger 626 front calipers and rotors, all emissions controls and the oil injection removed, 15" Panasport wheels with 205/50 meat. Nearly all badging removed. Original paint. Always garaged. It was 30 years old before it was driven in the rain. Got caught in a quickly developing summer storm driving home after an autocross event.

One day during an autocross race we heard the unmistakable sound of a Wankel over the fence on the road course. Turns out it was a race day for a local amateur race club. There was a large stable of RX-7s running in a modified stock class . We drove over and all the RX-7 dudes poured over the car and adopted my son. My son later went on to race our RX-7 in the stock street series. Yeah, we were not stock, but it was the only place for us. Not like we were points leaders and anyone would object.
I've had my RX-8 for 16 years and, in retrospect, was lucky enough to have the dealer screw up a radiator repair and blow the engine while it was under warranty. Lucky, because they had to give me a new engine to replace the one that was losing compression thanks to their buffoonery. I got my Jeep shortly afterwards as my daily driver. So I have an 8 in otherwise great condition that has a factory engine with less than 20,000 miles on it. So it's a long time before I have to worry about the inevitable rebuild that eventually awaits all rotorheads. One day I'll get collector plates for it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My ride is a 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. I bought it used (with just under 30,000 miles on it) just before the market went insane, so it was about half the cost of a new one. It's an amazing drive, but definitely better to purchase used, especially for the 2017-2019 model years, as some of the interior trim is cheaper than you'd expect for the price point (2020 and beyond have much nicer interiors). No issues (fingers crossed) so far with reliability. I cross-shopped it with the M3 and C63 AMG, but went for the Alfa based on the price advantage and the uniqueness of the car.

Guy here at work is trying to get rid of his before the warranty runs out, been to the shop ~20 times for issues. He is still wrestling with himself over actually pulling the trigger since he says it is such a joy to drive.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Guy here at work is trying to get rid of his before the warranty runs out, been to the shop ~20 times for issues. He is still wrestling with himself over actually pulling the trigger since he says it is such a joy to drive.
And that's why I haven't found the courage to pull the trigger on one yet....

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Maintenance/reliability is why I went with a Lexus in the first place. I was in Yuma and wanted an M3ish car. IS-F ticked most of the boxes and was bulletproof through 100k when I traded in for a GS-F for a nicer/bigger interior a little more power.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Although the picture here was ripped off the web, I had a laugh when I saw one yesterday…a “Fiber-Fab” kit car. I was fascinated by these when I was 17 or 18 and thought they were so cool - except the Ford Pinto frame they were built on. Never did it, but what a laugh to see one years later.

OscarMyers

None
Here’s my 1966 Mustang coupe, 200 inline six with a three speed manual. She started life as a Sprint 200. I did a five lug and front disc conversion, new V8 suspension/steering and Ford 9 inch rear end. Just shipped her yesterday from Pax to Pt Mugu. I have a T-5 transmission I plan on installing when we get settled out west.

Attachments

• C7BE2332-8F8F-43B9-832A-1F3B26B67C8B.jpeg
    C7BE2332-8F8F-43B9-832A-1F3B26B67C8B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 744AA4A1-DAF0-42E2-A8E6-7E6C42F533AE.jpeg
    744AA4A1-DAF0-42E2-A8E6-7E6C42F533AE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Here’s my 1966 Mustang coupe, 200 inline six with a three speed manual. She started life as a Sprint 200. I did a five lug and front disc conversion, new V8 suspension/steering and Ford 9 inch rear end. Just shipped her yesterday from Pax to Pt Mugu. I have a T-5 transmission I plan on installing when we get settled out west.
Yeppers…digging those ponies spanning 35 years…

Your 1966 Coupe…

My 2001 Bullitt (mad dog action figure sold separately)…

taxi1

pilot
Very nice!

But it is time my friend. Leap into the future.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very nice!

Questions for you:

1. What’s your take on the new Ford Bronco?

2. Do you think that some (or many) Jeep people will bail from Jeep and go to the new Bronco?
It looks good on paper, but I haven’t seen any reviews on how it does off road. I saw one on the road the other day… seemed really small.

JustAGuy

pilot
1. What’s your take on the new Ford Bronco?

2. Do you think that some (or many) Jeep people will bail from Jeep and go to the new Bronco?

I need to post pictures once I am at home, but have a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon and have followed the Bronco release with interest. That being said the reviews have been very good with regards to the Bronco's off-road ability even in stock form. Ford definitely did themselves a solid by offering 35's from the factory under warranty causing Jeep to follow suit when they should have been doing it all along since they offered a MOPAR branded and warranty covered lift for a long time.

With that not sure if you saw but Ford is going to replace every single hard top that was produced due to manufacturing defects. A rough start but a way to get in the good graces of people I think by admitting the mistake and fixing it.

With regards to your second question, I think it depends on what people are looking for. Are you a hard core off roader that wants to do rock crawling and really push yourself and vehicle? Jeep I think is the answer for now with the extensive history of companies supporting the aftermarket. Do you want a SUV that good for your occasional off-road journey but it your daily driver on the road? Bronco would be the answer with it's more on-road minded construction and suspension. (Observations from a JK owner, the JL I understand behaves nicer on the road with the changes they made)

I don't see a significant exodus of Jeep to Ford, although I am sure as with any cars there will be people that have had horrible experiences with their Jeep or service and will run screaming away from Jeep to the arms of Ford. I think the old school hard core Jeepers will hold their view that until Ford proves their off-road prowess and longevity it's nice to have competition, but they are starting probably 20-30 years later than Jeep did.

My last prediction is that there will be an absolute avalanche of aftermarket support for the Bronco and we will see many more Broncos get the mall-crawler treatment.

It looks good on paper, but I haven’t seen any reviews on how it does off road. I saw one on the road the other day… seemed really small.
You might have seen a Bronco Sport which is significantly smaller built on the Escape unibody platform unlike the full size Bronco. Same styling but completely different class of vehicle.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The new Bronco 4 door has a 105" wheelbase while the 4 door Jeep Rubicon has a 118" wheelbase. From a first look the Bronco seems more "civilized" than the jeep.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And that's why I haven't found the courage to pull the trigger on one yet....
Makes sense. I’ve nerded out on the long-term reliability since I purchased the car, and it seems like the majority of problems occurred with the early 2017 builds, and most of those were battery related (Alfa’s original battery was pretty shitty). Car and Driver’s review car fell into that category for example.

I met up with some other Seattle area Quadrifoglio drivers recently, and none of them have had any issues (their cars range from 2017s to 2020s). Unfortunately Alfa came into the market with an historical reputation for poor reliability, and the teething problems with the 2017s left a lasting impression.

If I were going to buy one again, I’d target a 2020 or later, as they did some slight tweaks to the engine design, improved the interior, and put in a completely new touch screen infotainment system. Regardless of the model year, having an extended warranty is key with a car in this category (I’d say the same for an M3 or C63AMG as well), because the parts are ridiculously expensive.