• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Ride?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I don't know how we don't have a dedicated vehicle thread - but its time. Airplane dudes are car dudes - lets be clear here - and frankly there can't be a more focused collection of vehicle selection talent than right here at A-Dubs.

So - tell us about your ride - what makes it special. What dots did you connect to make your purchase decision - what affirmed your informed choice of rides for your lifestyle? What's great about your ride - and what sucks about it. Pictures.

So @mad dog has to have the inaugural post but I won't cry if someone beats him to it.

Ready. Begin!

ChuckMK23

pilot
This is honestly a great idea for a thread on this forum - it will be interesting seeing what folks here really drive and why they chose what they chose. So please - jump in!!

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Twin Turbo for when I want some Oomph and some bells and whistles to keep me occupied in traffic.

Attachments

• 176468483_10214864898774600_7704358293051271900_n.jpg
    176468483_10214864898774600_7704358293051271900_n.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 27

ChuckMK23

pilot
Fair point by @Treetop Flyer !

Ok, my ride for the last 9 years is a 2010 Mercedes GLK 350 4 Matic. At 220,000 miles, its my highest longevity vehicle and the most reliable vehicle I have owned. I am the second owner - having purchased at the 30k mark.

For a 11 year old vehicle, it drives great. A consistent 22 MPG on regular 87 octane. I change the oil at 15,000 mile intervals - the combination of full synthentic and fleece cartidge oil filters are key to this oil change interval.

The 280 HP V-6 is very common engine, sharing applications in the ML platfrom for years. Superbly reliable. Assembled in Stuttgart.

I would purchase again, no doubt. This model saw its last production year in 2016.

Pros:
Reliability and safety
Smooth 6 speed gearbox
Smooth, fast and low road noise for an AWD
Has gotten me through the deepest snow without fail
Decent off road capability - decent clearance. Its no F150, but it will off road. The Mercedes 4Matic AWD is simple and proven.
Roomy front seats (6'4" / 240 LB of me has no issues)
Looks good!
Decent cargo hauling.
Good aftermarket parts support (this platfrom sold well in China)
Decent enough MPG - 22 overall

The bad
Ergos aren't great on controls
Lacking in modern technology (e.g. no backup camera, lousy Bluetooth)
20" low profile wheels can be an issue - they are not durable
Poor rear seat room
22 MPG these days in a small SUV is not great.

Last edited:

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
As someone who has only ever owned Subarus, and who is currently in the market to get my first "fun" car, I look forward to the responses on this thread.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
My recreational ride…a 2001 Mustang Bullitt GT…no mods…original owner…purchased new in 2001...

My daily ride…a 2007 Ford Police Interceptor…mods…original owner…purchased new in 2007…

NOTE: During Delta pilot furlough, I became a Cincinnati Police Officer and I drove Ford Police Interceptors on patrol…and that’s what introduced me to Ford Police Interceptors…so I bought a new one.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I picked this baby up from a local lemon lot. An airport car should do at least two things: start, and not get stolen. So far nobody's stolen it, and the a/c is decent (1990s vintage crotch vent FTW).

I'm pretty sure it's the only example in the world of this make/model/year that anybody ever changed the brake fluid and the transmission fluid (and filter) in the same car. The drivetrain is preferred by four out of five insurgents and freedom fighters, worldwide, for their logistics and tactical needs. This one can get up to about 80 flat out- that's statute miles an hour.

Ozarky

pilot
I picked this baby up from a local lemon lot. An airport car should do at least two things: start, and not get stolen. So far nobody's stolen it, and the a/c is decent (1990s vintage crotch vent FTW).

View attachment 31979

I'm pretty sure it's the only example in the world of this make/model/year that anybody ever changed the brake fluid and the transmission fluid (and filter) in the same car. The drivetrain is preferred by four out of five insurgents and freedom fighters, worldwide, for their logistics and tactical needs. This one can get up to about 80 flat out- that's statute miles an hour.
Also the preferred car of murder victims of Steven Avery! Too soon?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Currently insuring 5 vehicles…
2020 Ford Escape
2016 BMW 550i (just bought this car)
2013 Ford Fusion (teenager’s first car next year)
2003 Ford F-250 (last year they made 7.3L Diesel)
2000 Featherlite 3H slant load trailer

The BMW is going to get me arrested…
765A4265-451B-44F5-8BC8-D31307DEC94D.jpeg9031DEC8-BBED-460B-9501-81ED55990582.jpeg