• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Ride?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I seem to alternate between 4WD's and musclecars. Current is a RAM 1500 with the 5.7 HEMI.

Previous was a silver 2006 Mercedes CLS55 AMG (with a Kleemann Stage 2 mod of a pulley change on the supercharger, new software and a new exhaust). It looked just like the one the Stig is testing on Top Gear.

Favorite car I ever owned was what I had in college and flight school: Darth Vader's ride itself, the quickest car of the 1980's, the Buick Regal Grand National (with T-Tops)

To those on the young side of 25, whatever hot car you have, keep it. 10 years, 20 years, 30 years later - you WILL wish you still had it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I saw a GNX in traffic about a year ago, like is that what I think it is?? It is!!

One of my primary instructors had one too, in 1999 when I was a student, and he'd talk about taking it to the track.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I saw a GNX in traffic about a year ago, like is that what I think it is?? It is!!

One of my primary instructors had one too, in 1999 when I was a student, and he'd talk about taking it to the track.

GNX’s are very rare - it was a limited production run of 547 Grand Nationals modified by McLaren. Last one I saw at auction went for around $200K. You can tell by the fenderports, flared wheel wells and different wheels.

Here is article on them:

Regular Grand National

Grand National GNX

Last edited:

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Too many cars to list through the years, but I was into British sports cars for awhile. '64 MGB was my first, then a '56 MGA, and the last was a '51 MGTD. My financial advisor wife informed me I needed to sell it to acquire my latest set of wheels, a 30' Forest River Class A motorhome.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
GNX’s are very rare - it was a limited production run of 547 Grand Nationals modified by McLaren. Last one I saw at auction went for around $200K. You can tell by the fenderports, flared wheel wells and different wheels.
Honestly, it could have just as easily been a "regular" one that somebody tarted up.

I knew they had their fans but 200k, holy crap!

hooflys

pilot
Contributor
Great Thread...

Cars
1977 Chevy C10 (Silverado, LB, 454ci. Bought off my dad when I was 16. Still have it)
1983 Mercedes 300SD (Beauty. Wish I still had it)
2000 Toyota 4Runner (Black. SR5. Loved it, but cramped interior. Sold before first deployment)
1987 Mercedes 300D (Post-deployment money pit, but I love the old diesels)
1999 Toyota Tacoma (4x4 with a locking dif, 5-speed, weak ass 4cyl. Terrible mpg. Great truck. Sold to a friend before going abroad; still going at 200k+)
2003 Lexus GX470 (Current vehicle. Bought it at 16 years old with 61,000mi. By far the nicest vehicle I've owned. Hope to drive it until it gives up. Which it may not, given everything I've read about the 2UZFE. Slowly working towards a low-key overland/camp rig)

Bikes
2008 Triumph Bonneville Black (Wish I still had it)
2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC (Wish I still had it)
2003 Honda ST1300 (Don't really miss this one)

(pic- shipped the truck back to AZ to dry out until we settle somewhere more permanently. '69 GTO is pop's; bought new in KC as a young TWA FO)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Too many cars to list through the years, but I was into British sports cars for awhile. '64 MGB was my first, then a '56 MGA, and the last was a '51 MGTD. My financial advisor wife informed me I needed to sell it to acquire my latest set of wheels, a 30' Forest River Class A motorhome.
View attachment 32037View attachment 32038
I used to love wrenching my British sports cars (a necessary skill set). My MG went through starters like a fat kid and cheeseburgers and I could change one out in minutes.

Mos

None
Second generation Honda Ridgeline. Pros: Very comfortable and roomy interior, decent gas mileage, cool tailgate, good for picking up stuff at the hardware store. Cons: looks like a Honda Pilot from the front, shallow bed, limited towing capacity.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just an Outback...sort of.
ADF Lift + slightly over sized tires.

I had been eye-balling their XT version last year, and the Outback is still something I keep in mind for eventually replacing my 2007 4Runner when it finally needs to be replaced. People seem to make a big deal about the CVT or the Boxer engine giving issues, but admittedly I haven't done more research on that.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I used to love wrenching my British sports cars (a necessary skill set). My MG went through starters like a fat kid and cheeseburgers and I could change one out in minutes.
I found my B in a barn and paid $300 for it in '70. I bought the A for $75 in '73. It was sitting in a little old lady's garage and hadn't run in over 7 years. Spent my summer evenings and weekends working on it while working my summer job in college. I had no social life that summer but I was pleased with the result. Did everything myself.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Gee whiz…went to a cruise event today at a local Ford dealership…drove my 2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt GT [to my left with the hood up in the pics below]…and a new Ford GT pulls in the lot and cock blocks the pics of my Bullitt. On a positive note, at least the Dunkin’ and the Speedy Moonwatch got in the pics…

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I had been eye-balling their XT version last year, and the Outback is still something I keep in mind for eventually replacing my 2007 4Runner when it finally needs to be replaced. People seem to make a big deal about the CVT or the Boxer engine giving issues, but admittedly I haven't done more research on that.

CVTs are....not good. Theoretically, it shouldn't have to hunt for a gear. In reality, it never finds the right ratio. Drive one for a while before you plop your money down to make sure it'll work.

taxi1

pilot
Currently have a 2019 VW Golf Alltrack, bought new. Surprisingly roomy for a tall guy (6'3"), handles like a Golf (great) and has ski and hitch bike racks perma-mounted. Very comfortable on long drives out to CO and back twice. Small enough so the family doesn't think it is a family car.

First automatic transmission I've owned in 45 years. Almost got a standard, but they didn't have one at hand and the auto drove just fine. It has paddle shifters on the steering wheel, but I never use them.

It is not great in 4WD due to the low ground clearance, but handles not-deep snow with aplomb.