• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Ride?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
But unlike them, you stunted and didn't graduate to the big boy toy. ?
Well…I had actually graduated to the big boy toy when I was on active duty. Pictured below is my new 1988 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Slingshot in the NASNI BOQ parking lot when I was in the RAG at HSL-41 circa 1988. Honestly, the bike was way too much bike for me…I “got skeert” a few too many times on that thing…so I sold it to an SH-2G aircrewman. So…I guess I’ve gone backwards…and have been “re-stunted” since I’ve been riding a Manco mini-bike since 1999.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Well…I had actually graduated to the big boy toy when I was on active duty. Pictured below is my new 1988 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Slingshot in the NASNI BOQ parking lot when I was in the RAG at HSL-41 circa 1988. Honestly, the bike was way too much bike for me…I “got skeert” a few too many times on that thing…so I sold it to an SH-2G aircrewman. So…I guess I’ve gone backwards…and have been “re-stunted” since I’ve been riding a Manco mini-bike since 1999.

View attachment 32434
Holy crap - this bike had more power, torque than my 1986 VW Jetta GLI Ensign mobile...

The styling went smooth and curvaceous with this model with almost everything being new - 73.0 x 44.7mm short-stroke motor, thinner piston rings, bigger main bearings, bigger valves, new high-lift camshaft, 36 mm contant-velocity semi-flatslide carbs and up rated suspension, wheels and tyres. All this produced 112 hp at 11,000 rpm to propel a dry weight of 195 kg. Unfortunately, it lost significant ground clearance (via the exhaust) and the adoption of 17" wheels which offered only a slim margin of error.

Every detail of the chassis and engine of the GSX-R down to the single bolt was reevaluated for the new 1988 model. The fairing was redesigned for 5.7% less frontal projection and 11% lower drag. The wheelbase at 1400mm made the GSX-R the most compact bike in the class. The lightweight aluminium alloy frame incorporated 45mm box tube main section and the cast swig arm pivot resulted in 60% more ridity. Front fork stanchion tubes were increased to 43mm diameter with variable damper adjuster type inner rods. The back end featured full floating suspension with new linkage and needle bearing for smoothness. Opposed 4 piston brake calipers, new weight-saving hollow-typecast wheels, and wide Michelin radial tyres became new standard equipment. The distinctive air-cooled with SACS engine received larger diameter oil hose and less restrictive joints for 20% increase in the coolant flow and the large 15 row cooler improved the cooling efficiency by 48%. The red zone started at 13,000 rpm. Engine bore and stroke changed from the previous 70 x 48.7mm to shorter stroke 73 x 44.7mm to reduce reciprocating motion mechanical loss. The new Slingshot carburetors were equipped with lightweight throttle valves for increased throttle responsiveness. Another important addition was the incorporation of SACI (Suzuki Condensed Air Intake) system bringing fresh air from ducts on the front of the fairing to the carburetor intake for maximizing cylinder charging efficiency.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Isn't that the same crotch rocket you ride around in GTA Vice City? It's extremely fast in the video game and as an added bennie the crashes are a lot more survivable than real life.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I was in OKC over the weekend, and saw this. If it is not you, they stole your tag idea.View attachment 32473View attachment 32474

I had some fun license plates awhile back. Almost went for MORCWBL, alas, just some boring plates right now.

Anyway, a couple of my previous vehicles:
1998 Harley FatBoy; chromed out and Screamin' Eagle Performance parts.

The 2006 Merc CLS55 AMG with the Kleemann Stage 2 package pushin' roughly 570 HP / 570 ft lbs tq (supercharger pulley and software + a heavy duty differential). Unfortunately, Jeremy Clarkson was correct in the Top Gear video of the car - it was a maintenance pig.

However, one day I really hope to have some land and what we had when I was growing up on the farm:

(Obligatory Kenny Chesney video...

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I had some fun license plates awhile back. Almost went for MORCWBL, but my NASCAR roots were too strong and got SHAKNBK from the DMV in Pensacola - the clerk started laughing and couldn't believe that it wasn't already taken. After that, it was a somewhat cryptic sci-fi with BSG-62, alas, just some boring plates right now.

Anyway, a couple of my previous vehicles:
1998 Harley FatBoy; chromed out and Screamin' Eagle Performance parts.

View attachment 32506

The 2006 Merc CLS55 AMG with the Kleemann Stage 2 package pushin' roughly 570 HP / 570 ft lbs tq (supercharger pulley and software + a heavy duty differential). Unfortunately, Jeremy Clarkson was correct in the Top Gear video of the car - it was a maintenance pig.
View attachment 32507

However, one day I really hope to have some land and what we had when I was growing up on the farm:

View attachment 32508

(Obligatory Kenny Chesney video...

My neighbor just put his Fat Boy up for sale after upgrading to a nicer bike. 17k miles and asking $5k. I'm tempted.