• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which AW personality would you most like to meet?

brownshoe

Contributor
I can easily see what you saw. The top of the plaque is all about the field closing....in the end, it smacks of fighter boys grasping for more glory.;)
My apologies, I thought the plaque was for the closing of Cecil, I thought those fighter boys were the last squadrons operating from there. That plaque was sent to me by someone who was closing the base and knew that I was stationed there.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never heard of that. Edwards was the alternate site, also there was a launch abort site in north Africa.

There was usually at least one designated Transoceanic Abort Landing site, they changed over the years with airfields in Morocco, Gambia, Senegal, Spain and France hosting the TAL at various times. The other ones were emergency airfields if they needed to put the shuttle down somewhere. Here is a NASA article about shuttle landing sites.

Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
Ya. Treetop, saw that too. When I was a JSC in the mid 90's, we had to attend a 2 week course on STS operations (think Shuttle for dummies). Training for us non rocket scientist. Except Edwards and Vandenburg (which was nixed after Challenger), non of those were mentioned...........doesn't mean they weren't in a Flight Director's mission plan.