• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which AW personality would you most like to meet?

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Hopeful Hoya. I just want to know what someone who scored 80 9/9/9 is like.

Hint:
maxresdefault.jpg

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I went to Cecil once and was intrigued with all the space. I was inbound to Pensacola and got stuck there for Mx issues. Never again.
I was surprised it was in the middle of no where, I'm just glad I was able to get there before leaving Jax.

brownshoe

Contributor
Thanks AE6O6! Brings back a few memories, this is hangar 67 and was my home. And yup it was out in the sticks, especially back in my day.

Attachments

• 1_1.jpg
    1_1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Seems like forever ago when I was stationed there.. I was in the last squadron to leave.. Half my tour was at Cecil and half at Jax.. Scary to think was nearly 20 years ago.. Damn I'm old.. Where did all the time go?

brownshoe

Contributor
Seems like forever ago when I was stationed there.. I was in the last squadron to leave.. Half my tour was at Cecil and half at Jax.. Scary to think was nearly 20 years ago.. Damn I'm old.. Where did all the time go?
You're old? Crap, I was there with BzB, Walt and Derf during the 60's.:)

Did you get one of these?
DSC02069.JPG

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
VS-22.. And now that I think about it, maybe we were originally suppose to be the last squadron but VS-24 was and that is why they didn't end up sharing the hanger with the P-3s in Jax.. It's all kinda a blur but I'm pretty sure all the hornets were gone and we were still there for a little while....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe I'm out to lunch here, but the plaque is for STRIKE FIGHTER WING ATLANTIC. I'm guessing the lack of S-3s in the plaque had a lot to do with the lack of S-3s in that wing.

robav8r

None
Contributor
If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Cecil Field an alternate landing strip for the Space Shuttle due to the runway length there?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Maybe I'm out to lunch here, but the plaque is for STRIKE FIGHTER WING ATLANTIC. I'm guessing the lack of S-3s in the plaque had a lot to do with the lack of S-3s in that wing.
Correct (now that I look closely at the pic) but I was under the impression we were talking of the closing of Cecil Field and the base in general.. Guessing I misunderstood Brownshoes reply (with plaque pic) to my comment...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Correct (now that I look closely at the pic) but I was under the impression we were talking of the closing of Cecil Field and the base in general.. Guessing I misunderstood Brownshoes reply (with plaque pic) to my comment...
I can easily see what you saw. The top of the plaque is all about the field closing....in the end, it smacks of fighter boys grasping for more glory.;)