• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to buy MREs

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I wish I could go to a restaurant and pay 10 bucks for some gourmet ham and shrimp jambalaya.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I agree and disagree with GroundPounder on this one. I agree that you should try and get them from your local neighborhood Army or Marine base. I DON'T suggest that you get them to swap what's "left over" from a field exercise. You'll end up with the crappiest MRE's known to man, as that's what's always "left over."

My only question is what is with all the Navy hate towards MREs? After being in an Infantry Battalion, and seeing the changes they've made to MREs - I can honestly say they aren't as bad as they were. Gone are the days of Ham Slice and Dehydrated Beef Patties (even the 4 fingers of death are gone). We now have black bean burritos, spicy penne pasta, dairyshake mixes, etc... And luckily, beef stew is still around!

I second that! MREs really aren't that bad, as long as you don't eat them for extended periods. If you do, prepare yourself for some quality time on the can... bring reading material.

The Cheese and Egg Omelette is universally hated, however.

GroundPounder

I think I'd have to agree with phrogpilot73's critique of my post, it might be a good idea to have list of some of the MRE's that you want, rather than just get what was left over. It did seem that out of a platoon, there was always someone that hated what you thought was the best and vice-versa, so that in the end you stood a good chance of getting on that you wanted.

Oakley568

DI$BO
You can find them at the Pensacola Commissary for about $7.80. They even let you buy cases of 10, I saw some of those in Corpus. My personal favorites include spicy thai chicken and rice, salsa chicken, and the milkshakes.

k_smittay

Mmmm MRE cheese paste/peanut butter and crackers followed with a nice warm water bottle filled with grape powder. I miss it.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Y'all are just not imaginative enough. You have to mix items from different MREs to make them edible. Don't get caught rat fucking the cases, though, or an angry OIC (me) will make you eat nothing but veggie omelette for an entire exercise. ...Even when I buy pizza for the other Marines.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...My only question is what is with all the Navy hate towards MREs?...
It's just a different culture. For proof, compare the "amenities" of any garden-variety USMC base to it's Naval counterpart. That's probably why you fellows were so ecstatic to get NAS MIRAMAR. :)

Ship or shore, NAVY likes to sleep between clean (?) white sheets, in a rack, eat good chow, take a dump in a "proper" receptacle -- that preferably resembles porcelain or at least has a wall to write on -- and all-around enjoy the "finer things" that life has to offer.

The final straw that pushed me to "GO NAVY" occurred after a week in the boonies @ Pendleton ... lugging a mortar tube around my neck all week, shaving out of my steel pot, shitting in the shrubbery, surviving a vertical assault that would have killed us all had there been "real Gomers" shooting back, and riding on top of an M48 Patton while we "assaulted" a mock Vietnamese ville .... I was pickin' dirt out of my ears for a week afterward.

>>> They didn't NEED to taunt me with the horror of K or C rations ... the MRE's ugly grandpa. <<<

There were other reasons ... obviously ... that's just the quick & "dirty"... BUT if you like mud and eating out of a bag, just DO IT, as the saying goes ... :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
>>> They didn't NEED to taunt me with the horror of K or C rations ... the MRE's ugly grandpa. <<<

A4s, don't you miss your C-Rations?
293747g.jpg

or your K-Rations?
kratmid.jpg

Where else could you have fun with your handy-dandy P-38 Can Opener and finish off with a pack of ciggies?

-ea6bflyr ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s, don't you miss your C-Rations? ...or your K-Rations?;)

*sigh* .... now you've gone and done it ... yes, beans & wieners ('da BEST!), the can opener -- it always worked, a pack of cigarettes (even if you didn't smoke, they were good for barter) and, of course, the occasional pack of rubbers or nylons .... :)icon_wink)

phrogpilot73

It's just a different culture. For proof, compare the "amenities" of any garden-variety USMC base to it's Naval counterpart. That's probably why you fellows were so ecstatic to get NAS MIRAMAR. :)
True. Although it is getting better, Lejeune is a very nice base - and I'd put it's amenities (minus the BOQ) up against any Navy base. Ours are just a little older and well worn ;)

...take a dump in a "proper" receptacle -- that preferably resembles porcelain or at least has a wall to write on...
Oh, if you could only see the writing that's on the walls in the porta-johns in country... ;)

I was pickin' dirt out of my ears for a week afterward.
Problem being?!? :D

rugby mike

It really depends on the MRE. The Egg Omelete is without a doubt the most god awful thing you can ever eat but on the other hand some of them are actually really good: Cheese Tortellini, Chicken Cavatelli, Beef Pot Roast, Cajun Rice Beans and Sausage.

A supply guy once told me that MRE's actually cost the gov't $16 each so at $10 that's not a bad deal.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
MRE'S suck don't bother. When I go to the field and eat beef jerky and candy. But if you want you can go to the commisary and pay 7$. Heart Burn beware.