• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to buy MREs

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Taste really isn't all that important since they will be in an emergency kit, only to be consumed if sustenance is required. Mostly, I want something that takes up little space yet provides a lot of calories. If I can find them for $7, I might pick up a few, but I've never seen them at the local commissaries (Marine and Navy).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... I want something that takes up little space yet provides a lot of calories...

pastriesvw8.jpg

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
So, here is a question - how long do they really last? I've got a box left over from TBS still (didn't keep it for any particular reason, just one of those few boxes that got moved a few times but never opened, plus I don't have the heart to let em go :()

I can't imagine two Gulf Coast summers has done them much good, but its still cooler than the sand box - just been on the shelf a little while. Phrog?

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
So, here is a question - how long do they really last? I've got a box left over from TBS still (didn't keep it for any particular reason, just one of those few boxes that got moved a few times but never opened, plus I don't have the heart to let em go :()

I can't imagine two Gulf Coast summers has done them much good, but its still cooler than the sand box - just been on the shelf a little while. Phrog?

They can keep their "taste" for up to 10 years (depending on the temperature), but they'll still keep their nutritional value much longer than that. I'd probably recommend replacing them a little sooner than that. :D

phrogpilot73

Chem heaters are fun too.
So there I was... First field exercise of TBS, and we were instructed that we had to bring one element of the sleeping system with us. Most of us packed the green bag, as it was supposed to be 40-something out. Go to sleep after a day of fighting the Centralians on multiple fronts.

Wake up about 0300 to the sharp, piercing screams of a 6 year old girl (or the biggest, most jacked Lt in my platoon). It seems that in order to lighten his load, he opted for the bivvy bag vice an actual sleeping bag. As it started to get colder (and we were all asleep, so he couldn't ask us if we had anything that could help him stay warm), he comes upon the brilliant idea of using MRE heaters to help him stay warm. He rat fucks a couple of MRE's, gets the heaters, pours in water, and puts one on his chest and one down by his feet. Works great, until... The now boiling water pours out of one all down his chest.

I gave him my poncho liner and went back to sleep.

Of course, you probably meant MRE bombs... :D

So, here is a question - how long do they really last?

I had always heard 5-7 years, and if I remember correctly there's some inspection stamp on the box saying when they "expire". Here's a page with some good gouge on the shelf life (the company advertises 5 years +/- apparently). If you scroll down, it's got a table that lists shelf life based on storage temperature that was tested at the Army's NATIC Labs...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
YOU GAVE AWAY YOUR PONCHO LINER??? The single greatest piece of military technology ever created??? So much more compassionate than I am...

phrogpilot73

YOU GAVE AWAY YOUR PONCHO LINER??? The single greatest piece of military technology ever created??? So much more compassionate than I am...
I got it back the next morning. But I was snug as a bug in a rug in my green bag, and my poncho liner was in my pack. It made for a more peaceful night's sleep, because I didn't have to listen to him bitch.