• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where old planes go when they "die"

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah concur. I know they cant all end up on a stick at some base but it is a sad sight to behold.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Blutonski...right on!! I met a guy at a marina close to Rosey Roads that used to fly them, he retired and has been living on a big A$$ sailboat ever since. They were used to control drones in flight...I have no clue how they did that but they had Neptunes too, I guess the F-8's were just flying chase and the drones controlled by the Neptunes. There are two on them in DM too with the same weird paint scheme, the wings are yellow on the top with a red stripe.

Well the cammie jet is an F-104, but what model?

Yes the convair is a T-29....where was it from?? *clue* many of us have been there and the base is still open...

A4....you're right...military aircraft history class is in order...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The T-29 was used by the Navy to train BNs in radar nav at the A-6 RAG.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Cyclic said:
Yes the convair is a T-29....where was it from?? *clue* many of us have been there and the base is still open.....
Well, Convair was an amalgamation of Consolidated and Vultee --- I think they merged in WW2, so probably San Diego. I can't remember where the old plant was --- but the T-29 prototype flew out of San Diego. International?? North Island? Miramar ?? I'm reaching .....

The Air Force based them at James Connally AFB, Waco, Texas (now closed), Harlingen AFB, Harlingen, Texas (now closed), Ellington AFB, Houston, Texas (now closed), and Mather AFB, Sacramento, California (now closed).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The T-29 was used by the Navy to train BNs in radar nav at the A-6 RAG.

Actually ... you may be thinking of the TC4C ... a.k.a. the "Tick-4" ..... made by Grumman. I got a couple of system rides in her --- all FRP's had to learn the B/N's system --- from the "Tic" while over at the radar bombing range in Spokane. Both the Navy RAGs (VA-42 and VA-128) and the Marines in VMAT(AW) -202 used the "Tic".

FRP's also used to bag right seat time ... thinking down the road. Some A-6 RAG instructors who were getting out and going for the airlines spent most of their time scrambling for seat time in the "Tic" --- MEL Turbo ..... hard to come by in those days ... :)

aec00771.jpg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thought I'd Join in

I think it's time I join in on this whole a/c recognition and trivia shindig. So, can anyone tell me what this is?

Good Luck :icon_smil

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yakovlev Yak-38 Forger. Too easy man. Not many VSTOL aircraft in the world.

I know A4s will know this, but how about some younger types...

conv-b58.jpg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
That one's easy Fly. What you got there is a couple pictures of the B-58 Hustler. :D :icon_smil If memory serves, it was the first bomber in the USAF inventory to be able to attain Mach 1 flight, but I might be wrong.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
That one's easy Fly. What you got there is a couple pictures of the B-58 Hustler. :D :icon_smil If memory serves, it was the first bomber in the USAF inventory to be able to attain Mach 1 flight, but I might be wrong.

True, it was easy :) I just like how it looks.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Yakovlev Yak-38 Forger. Too easy man. Not many VSTOL aircraft in the world.

conv-b58.jpg
B-58 Hustler: supersonic nuclear bomber... sweet plane, and one of my favorites!

EDIT: GODDAMMMMIT!!!!! I HATE IT WHEN I DO THIS!!!!!

All-American is correct. :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok sportsfans, let's get tougher. Name this cockpit. We'll start off easy.

F-15A%20Eagle.JPG

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:

conv-b58.jpg

Yeah, one of my first plastic scale models .... by Revell. (?) I think Monogram did one later. And I think it went TWICE the speed of sound .....

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Damn, that cockpit's got me stumped. Since it has all of the old "steam" gauges I probably isn't a newer plane. It's got a HUD so it's probably mid-seventies or early-eighties. My guess is it's an early F-15 or F-14. :confused: