• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's your favorite micro brew

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's available everywhere, because the Kona brewing company is now owned by InBev/Anheiser Busch...

Huh, good to know! I've generally had trouble finding it and last week was the first time in awhile that I had seen it sold.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Looks like the Battle Phrog Brewery has some local competition!

Ummm...Thanks KBay...I wouldn't necessarily call it "competition"....yet... :) You are, as always, welcome any time to come taste the latest brew...:)

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Not sure if it's a micro or whatever, but Piraat Ale has become a favorite of mine. As a side note, if you happen to find yourself in Miami at some point, check out http://cervezasmiami.com/about.html. There's something for everybody's taste and you will not be disappointed.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I will place myself firmly in the Deschuttes camp with Black Butte Porter. I like almost all their stuff, Mirror Pond, Abyss, even Green Lakes but Black Butte will always be my favorite.

Unfortunately, living east of Utah, I don't get to have one as often as I like. Up until my recent exile to Isa, Dukes from Bold City in Jacksonville was a strong favorite.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will place myself firmly in the Deschuttes camp with Black Butte Porter. I like almost all their stuff, Mirror Pond, Abyss, even Green Lakes but Black Butte will always be my favorite.
Just tried The Abyss last night. Pretty damn good, but not again for $13 for a 22oz bottle. Good God, that stuff kicks like a mule.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Just tried The Abyss last night. Pretty damn good, but not again for $13 for a 22oz bottle. Good God, that stuff kicks like a mule.

Named appropriately, eh? :) First year of release it was only $9 in Bend. Couldn't find the stuff after about 3 weeks, and the odd bottle would show up on Craigslist for $100 (after it was ranked #1 by Men's Journal). Worth every penny. :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout by Kiuchi brewery... wicked expensive, hard to find. Mackeson XXX Stout is a tasty sweet one too..

I recently had the Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout at a little Japanese restaurant in my hometown. Pretty $$$, but pretty good.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Named appropriately, eh? :) First year of release it was only $9 in Bend. Couldn't find the stuff after about 3 weeks, and the odd bottle would show up on Craigslist for $100 (after it was ranked #1 by Men's Journal). Worth every penny. :)
What I really need to find is the Black Butte XXI release. If it's improved Black Butte, that sounds like the apotheosis of beer.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Picked up this Harpoon Glacier Harvest 2010 Wet Hop Ale in Rhode Island a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure Harpoon counts as a micro any more but when you're in New England you see a lot of special bottling out of them.

6.7% alc, and IBU 38 puts it down below an IPA in hoppiness but ought to be pretty good.

Harpoon.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Picked up this Harpoon Glacier Harvest 2010 Wet Hop Ale in Rhode Island a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure Harpoon counts as a micro any more but when you're in New England you see a lot of special bottling out of them.

6.7% alc, and IBU 38 puts it down below an IPA in hoppiness but ought to be pretty good.

Harpoon.jpg

I've always been very interested in Harpoon's 100 Barrel series but haven't been around New England enough to track any down and my brother has dodged all requests to procure some for me.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Resurrecting this thread for awesome' sake.

Hop Valley is the dandy of Oregon right now and I hope many of you can find the opportunity to try some of their beers. Started by an OSU graduate a few years ago, Hop Valley has some really exceptional beers. Their brewery is based in Eugene/Springfield, OR.

Besides serving some heavy, fried, and sexually satisfying excellent food that will make you shit yourself, Hop Valley puts out some absolutely outstanding brews. Their must tries are the "Double-D Blonde," "Vanilla Porter," and my current favorite: the Alpha Centauri Binary IPA. Yeah, the name of the last one is like a pimple faced kid playing dungeons and dragons in his mom's basement, but damn it, it's one of the best beers I've ever had. I'll call them to find out if their brews can be ordered online and I'll post a link if they can. Give these guys a look-see because they are putting out a hell of a product.

Full disclosure: I am not being compensated in any way, shape, or form by Hop Valley - but I am an alcoholic enthusiast

photo-2.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SJ, you represent Oregon well. You bring a single tear of pride to my eye. :D

I'll have to see if this stuff is available in New England, but lots of the good stuff from the left coast doesn't travel this far, including my beloved Mirror Pond. We do get some of the stuff from Laugunitas (great IPA) and The Bear Republic line. Check out their website, it's pretty impressive. Try their Racer 5 IPA (or Racer X if you can find it). Good stuff all. I have this recurring dream where I run, arms extended, through the hops fields of Washington and Oregon, absorbing the hoppy goodness directly through my skin. I have found the sublime! :D

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Their must tries are the "Double-D Blonde," "Vanilla Porter,"

Ugh - Every Porter I've had with Vanilla overdoes it and changes the character of the beer. I do like a good coffee Porter though.

Ram's Heads beer of the month for July was a nice Double-D Pale Ale. You go to the opening day (first Thursday of each month) and you get the glass. This one had a buxom girl in a leather flight jacket with an SDB on the other side. My submariner buddy didn't want it so scored a couple.