• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's with all the HELO slots!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
I'm not knocking the helo guys at all, but am just wondering how many Helo's the Navy actually operates, compared to fixed wing aircraft. It seems like they are always at the top of list for the "Needs of the Navy." How can there be so many Helo slots? If you get Helos how hard is it to transition to fixed wing?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Helo's make up roughly 50% of Navy Naval Aviation. That's why there are so many slots...well, that and the fact that people are always getting out at the end of their committment. Besides, as Helo bubba's, we're just cooler than those Jet dudes!

Jack

Despite the rotorhead propaganda that Devin is putting out... Something else to consider is that helo guys aren't allowed to fly by themselves (only pilot in the aircraft),there are two pilots to every helicopter. There are no tactical jets that require more than one pilot. Sometimes, however, I think I would rather fly a helo with another pilot than play the game I'm in now.

Jack

Naval Aviator, Prowlers.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:

...There are no tactical jets that require more than one pilot...

Or even half a pilot.

So what your saying, Jack, is that you secretly long to join us. Muhahaha

Jack

Now Now, I didn't say that I WANTED to join the ranks of rotorheads. But I have to admit after spending two years of training in a " you're going to be single seat" mentality, its taking a little while learning how to play well with others.

Naval Aviator, Prowlers.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
Now Now, I didn't say that I WANTED to join the ranks of rotorheads. But I have to admit after spending two years of training in a " you're going to be single seat" mentality, its taking a little while learning how to play well with others.

Naval Aviator, Prowlers.

Okay, okay... Actually, it's funny you say that. Hadn't even considered that, since day one of Intermediates for us, they build in the crew concept. Personally, I like having others with me, makes me feel like part of the team... Especially like tonight when our RAST probe almost burst into flames...everyone's pitching in!

Rainman

pilot
quote:
helo guys aren't allowed to fly by themselves (only pilot in the aircraft), there are two pilots to every helicopter. There are no tactical jets that require more than one pilot.

Jack, explain this one to me. I was in a CH53E that picked us up with only one pilot. Did you mean typically they have two pilots?
Wouldn't F/A 18D AW Hornets fall into that category as well as F14s?

--Josh

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Uh oh, Jack...I think he's got you... Don't forget about the H-65 that the Coasties use. That's a single-pilot rated a/c.

I'm curious about that -53, Josh. I think he meant "pilot" and not a WSO or a RIO. Yes, the -18D has two guys, but it can be flown w/ only one pilot, whereas helo's really do require 2 to be safe.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hmmm....

Let me think.....what is the safest single engine aircraft (statistically)....hmmm...let me think.....why, it's the Bell 206 JetRanger. Hmmmm...what do you know, that's a helicopter.

Funny side note (or urban legend):

A class A mishap used to be $1 meeellion. But the TH-57C's have so much avionics in it, that they raised the amount to just above that. So it's now possible to completely wreck a -57B (which doesn't have anything in it) and not have a Class A mishap...or so the story goes.

Jack

Patmack - not sure what was up with the 53 you wrote of, but I'm almost certain that it has two pilots ( naval aviators - one anchor on the wings). The 18D and Tomkitty, as Devin wrote, only have one pilot (naval aviator - one anchor on the wings). I just had my first Prowler ACT/CRM lecture today. I dont get to talk on the radios anymore - hell, i dont even get to call the ball! Is nothing sacred

Naval Aviator, Prowlers.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Jack-Damn, I feel for you. You don't get to talk on the radio's or call the ball anymore, you just get to fly a multi-million dollar, radar jammin, ancestor of the A-6. Life must suck!! CONGRATS!!

Rainman

pilot
I mentioned the 53!
Okay. . so I wasn't differentiating between one anchor and two.. saying well if you're saying one (undifferentiated gold wing guy vice pilot) can fly a F14, a solo pilot can also fly a CH53 (seen it). .so what's the diff. . AND THEN (after the all the posts) I realize that the tac jets have one PILOT! key word PILOT. . I'm tracking.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You guys gotta understand: The first rule of the Navy is a happy sailor is a bitching sailor. In fact, as pilots, it's our duty to find fault w/ everyone/everything else. Large portions of the day are devoted to such tasks. Another large portion of the day is devoted to breaking whatever the maintainers just spent hard work on fixing.

It's the natural order of things...

Jack, I feel for you. I actually have to buy my own pair of Brown boots. Another sacriligous experience. What's the world coming to.

Status
Not open for further replies.