• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the deal

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
Not to sound salty or anything like that, but has the ASTB significantly changed format/difficulty in the past 8 years? When I was a MIDN, they didnt' even tell us much of anything about the test before we we took it. One day, they gave us the address of the local recruiter that administered the test and said go take it. I think there may have been an old study guide that just had the crazy pictures in it, but that was all we did. I never even heard of anybody failing it or sweating it.

Do people fail it regularly? Is it somehow harder than back then? It seems like some of the posts on here are preparing like this was the ATP or something.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not any harder. Higher scores are needed to be competitive these days, especially for OCS and BDCP types. And if you think about it, the wannabes you hear from on AW are pretty damned motivated or they wouldn't be here. So it stands to reason they will be a bit nervous and take the time to prepare and gouge up.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I'll echo wink about the guys looking to prepare here. I'm sure most of them took prep courses for the SAT, ACT, etc., too. Some people just have to study and prepare. I decided to sign up for the ASTB just a few days before the actual test. I figured that it would be good to have "just in case" I wanted to do something aviation related.

MasterBates

When I went in for the initial meeting at NRD Boston (after me cold-calling them, and being asked "can you get here today?") I took a test I later found out to be the ASTB.

No studying, just did it. Remember guys, its APTITUDE, not a memory test. Gaming the system just jacks up the scores, which defeats the purpose of the test to a point.

Although, I will admit I did have a most excellent recruiter. I knew nothing about OCS, BDCP, etc.. And he looked at my major/scores/gpa and worked his ass off to get me in the program that was the most advantageous to me.

I pretty much just filled out the app, got LORs, and passed the PRT. He did the rest. If I ever cross paths with him again, I will get the man a beer or 10, because my ignorant ass at the time did not realize HOW good of a recruiter I had.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
When I went in for the initial meeting at NRD Boston (after me cold-calling them, and being asked "can you get here today?") I took a test I later found out to be the ASTB.

No studying, just did it. Remember guys, its APTITUDE, not a memory test. Gaming the system just jacks up the scores, which defeats the purpose of the test to a point.

Although, I will admit I did have a most excellent recruiter. I knew nothing about OCS, BDCP, etc.. And he looked at my major/scores/gpa and worked his ass off to get me in the program that was the most advantageous to me.

I pretty much just filled out the app, got LORs, and passed the PRT. He did the rest. If I ever cross paths with him again, I will get the man a beer or 10, because my ignorant ass at the time did not realize HOW good of a recruiter I had.

Lucky you to find someone like that.

Junior

pilot
Not any harder. Higher scores are needed to be competitive these days, especially for OCS and BDCP types. And if you think about it, the wannabes you hear from on AW are pretty damned motivated or they wouldn't be here. So it stands to reason they will be a bit nervous and take the time to prepare and gouge up.
I didn't realize they used the scores as selection criteria. At USNA it was explained to us as just having to meet the minimums. As far as I know our ASTB scores didn't affect service selection, only if you didn't get the minimum. Has it always been used as selection criteria for OCS/BDCP?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I didn't realize they used the scores as selection criteria. At USNA it was explained to us as just having to meet the minimums. As far as I know our ASTB scores didn't affect service selection, only if you didn't get the minimum. Has it always been used as selection criteria for OCS/BDCP?

For ROTC (at least 10 years ago) they were part of the overall service selection package that was submitted, both electronically and in paper form. Good scores helped, but it wasn't the end all thing at the time as most guys got Aviation if they asked for it and were qualified. Sounds like it was slightly more important that USNA, but only slightly.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Always. The competitive score for any OCS/BDCP program has gone up and down over the years as supply and demand dictated. I first went to recruiting in 1984. In all these years the competitive astb has never been as low as the minimum astb score promulgated in the program authorization, never.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Hmm...my recruiter gave me four days and told me to find what I could online about the ASTB. I didn't really know it was a big deal either until I stumbled on this website a day before taking the test.
I wouldn't say gouging up is necessarily gaming the system, it's just knowing what to expect. A lot of time would be wasted on figuring out what the questions meant if we didn't have practice tests. I know Spatial Apperception would not have made sense...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

Today I believe it's the single largest factor in the service selection formula for SNA/SNFO applicants. I think OAR and PFAR/FOFAR make up about 40% of one's total score.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I ever cross paths with him again, I will get the man a beer or 10, because my ignorant ass at the time did not realize HOW good of a recruiter I had.
I have run into a couple guys I recruited. In one case I was at Fallon with the active squadron I was going to augment if called up for Desert Storm. Here we are in the 30 degree dive pattern dropping 500 pounders when my pilot announces that he still had my card in his wallet (he kept it as a good luck charm). Turns out I recruited him and didn't remember, only knew him that day by his call sign. He was just out of the RAG. He didn't buy me beers (the airline pilot reservists bought most of the beer) but he did a fine job of not killing me. Another guy that I recruited as a NFO later became an Intel guy and we remain good firends to this day.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I have run into a couple guys I recruited. In one case I was at Fallon with the active squadron I was going to augment if called up for Desert Storm.

Very cool Wink. My recruiter ended up dying Christmas Day 1986 when he fell in his garage into the fuselage frame working on his Christen Eagle! Broke his neck we were told. How's that for weird ! He was OIC of the Indianapolis District and had taken me on my T-34B intro ride only a couple months before.

To avoid the total threadjack..... He called me the Friday morning at the end of finals week at 0700 and said come take the test at 1000. Staggered over to the student center took the test, submitted two LOR's from professors and was accepted March 85. A little over a year before I got commissioned out of AOCS.

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
So, it sounds like my suspicions were right and people are definitely freaking out way too much about this test?