• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the deal

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
There was so much bad gouge in that book that I wouldn't consider it a valid source.

All right, you win. My unit is lying to me. If anyone's an MIT mid, watch out because they're lying to you too. God only knows how far this conspiracy goes...apparently they'll stop at nothing to convince us that doing well on the ASTB is actually important.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Or you could just relax since it measure aptitude. Just do your best and don't try to game it.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Or you could just relax since it measure aptitude. Just do your best and don't try to game it.

+1. It's just like the ACT/SAT...the people who have to drop thousands of dollars on tutors and garbage like that in an attempt to game the test will get weeded out later on when their lack of aptitude isn't temporarily blunted by their overpreparation. At most you should take a look at spacial apperception so you're not blindsided by that when you get to the test...any extra time beyond that should be used for hookers and blow in preparation for the years to come.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have a sheet with the formula posted on the wall at our unit. You can also see it for yourself on the MIT NROTC site: web.mit.edu/navyrotc/NEWFILES07/MIDREGS.doc

I'm not saying it's magic, but there's definitely a formula involved.
Let's be clear. While I still don't believe in the ridge formula you speak of, I am talking about OCS/BDCP applicants that go to a CRUITCOM board. You are talking about NROTC. You guys do this sort of thing all the time on AW. When you post don't think your little slice of the world (and a NRTOC mid is in a very little slice of the Navy) applies to everyone else. Specify your source and context. I was clear about where I was coming from. That is my area of expertise. And yes, NROTC units do put out bad gouge, dated never updated info. And the ARCO book is AFU about many points. Who would you rather believe, active and former recruiters here or a civilian publication with unknown sourcing?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
All right, you win. My unit is lying to me. If anyone's an MIT mid, watch out because they're lying to you too. God only knows how far this conspiracy goes...apparently they'll stop at nothing to convince us that doing well on the ASTB is actually important.

I didn't say don't do good on it, nor did I say don't study, I am simply commenting on the fact that the ARCO book gave bad gouge.

phrogpilot73

My guess is this - the formula that your unit is publishing, and that is in the ARCO book is probably a rough equation based on past selections. I'd be willing to bet it's not hard and fast. I'm sure if there is this mysterious formula (that apparently recruiters don't know about), it's probably published as a guideline to members of the board - to educate them about the importance of the ASTB in predicting success, etc... Then it's a gut call for each individual on the board after that.

Who would you want in the cockpit next to you? The guy that passed with the minimum aptitude (read min ASTB score), but who is capable of making good snap decisions in short order? Or the guy that's got really high aptitude, but takes a lot of time to make a decision? I'd rather have the first guy...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
My guess is this - the formula that your unit is publishing, and that is in the ARCO book is probably a rough equation based on past selections. I'd be willing to bet it's not hard and fast. I'm sure if there is this mysterious formula (that apparently recruiters don't know about), it's probably published as a guideline to members of the board - to educate them about the importance of the ASTB in predicting success, etc... Then it's a gut call for each individual on the board after that.

That could be, I'm not sure. And as wink pointed out, I am only talking about the NROTC world; I'm sure it's totally different elsewhere. Sorry I didn't specify that before.

Who would you want in the cockpit next to you? The guy that passed with the minimum aptitude (read min ASTB score), but who is capable of making good snap decisions in short order? Or the guy that's got really high aptitude, but takes a lot of time to make a decision? I'd rather have the first guy...

I hope those aren't my choices because I wouldn't want either. The wrong decision made quickly doesn't seem any better to me than the right decision made too late.

phrogpilot73

I hope those aren't my choices because I wouldn't want either. The wrong decision made quickly doesn't seem any better to me than the right decision made too late.
-1 for reading comprehension. I said "good snap decisions." You have much to learn young padewan... The 85% solution is many times the one that you act upon...

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
So, it sounds like my suspicions were right and people are definitely freaking out way too much about this test?

When I was a freshman starting my Aerospace Engineering degree, I was all hyped up to become a Naval Aviator. I even picked up Wink from the airport one day and we got breakfast and he told me sea stories. But then life happens. One day you wake up and you don't have the 4.0 GPA that you were used to in high school. One day you're working 20+ hours a week and trying to pass Advanced Engineering Mathematics. One day you have a girlfriend. One day your friends die in a car accident. One day life isn't exactly as pretty as you thought it was going to be when you were sitting across from Wink eating bacon and eggs.

I say to hell with you guys who are down on people about studying for this test. Taking tests is not always about what you know -- it's about playing the game. Hell, I can do calculus in my sleep, but that doesn't mean I'm too good to study for the ASTB.

I scored awesome on the ASTB and the recruiters in Phoenix (and a different recruiter I know through a friend) told me it would offset my less than spectacular GPA. Did my scores come out great because I studied my rear end off? You bet your ass they did. I have friends who I know are probably smarter than I am, yet they scored lower because they didn't study and didn't care.

The bottom line is, none of my fellow applicants will hurt themselves by studying. But if you're arrogant and think that you'll ace it because you're studying Aerospace Engineering or some other crap, you're just going to make it easier for somebody like me to get accepted. In that case, thank you.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, I'm not upset or trying to flame. I just don't want anybody to be discouraged from studying. So what if we screw up the Navy's statistics?! What really matters is that eventually I can get out there and serve my country in the best way that I know how.