• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the deal

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, it sounds like my suspicions were right and people are definitely freaking out way too much about this test?
Guys do flunk it out right, that is not make the absolute mins. Many more simply do not cut a competitive score for the program they want the first time around. I'd say in my market about 50-65% didn't make a competitive score the first time. Of course that is a moving target over the years. And about 15-20 % just bomb it. Is freaking out appropriate, no. Taking it seriously, yes. Remember, I am talking all sorts of people with varied educations and at different points in their education. USNA guys were pretty good students going into the Academy, and completed a rigorous program that included lots of math and physics, even if a Poli Sci major, before they take the astb. And then, apparently, they are told it doesn't mean too much. That takes the pressure off considerably.

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
Guys do flunk it out right, that is not make the absolute mins. Many more simply do not cut a competitive score for the program they want the first time around. I'd say in my market about 50-65% didn't make a competitive score the first time. Of course that is a moving target over the years. And about 15-20 % just bomb it. Is freaking out appropriate, no. Taking it seriously, yes.

Are not people supposed to fail it? If nobody ever failed it, it wouldn't be a useful gauge as to whether somebody was meant to be in the aviation field, right? Just like teaching to the standardized test, it seems if you learn how to beat the test instead of having the ability that it is measuring, you are just setting yourself up for failure later.

Sorry, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some new test.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are not people supposed to fail it? If nobody ever failed it, it wouldn't be a useful gauge as to whether somebody was meant to be in the aviation field, right? Just like teaching to the standardized test, it seems if you learn how to beat the test instead of having the ability that it is measuring, you are just setting yourself up for failure later.
You have a point. The guys at NAMI keep very good stats on test scores vs attrites along with other data to validate the astb.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I have been told by several individuals that our ASTB scores (NROTC Mid here) are a check box. As in we just need to pass. Passing with a 9/9/9 is no better than 4/5/4. That may change from FY to FY depending on the number of Mids expecting to apply for 13xx. But for this year we have been told "all you have to do is pass".

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I have been told by several individuals that our ASTB scores (NROTC Mid here) are a check box. As in we just need to pass. Passing with a 9/9/9 is no better than 4/5/4. That may change from FY to FY depending on the number of Mids expecting to apply for 13xx. But for this year we have been told "all you have to do is pass".

I think that would only be in the event that there were more flight spots available than applied for. AQR + PFAR/FOFAR is 40% of the total service selection score.

statesman

pilot
We may be receiving this guidance based on the fact that our unit commissions at the VERY most 6 officers a semester, and its usually less than that. I know that our Nuke quota for this year was exactly 0. I figure that may have something to do with the ease of getting a 13xx slot here at UNM.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that would only be in the event that there were more flight spots available than applied for. AQR + PFAR/FOFAR is 40% of the total service selection score.
I am wondering where you got that number. In my experience the relative weight of the various parts of a person's application is a heck of a lot more squishy then you state here. There is no magic formula. If a guy doesn't do so well on the astb he can make up for it in other areas.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I am wondering where you got that number. In my experience the relative weight of the various parts of a person's application is a heck of a lot more squishy then you state here. There is no magic formula. If a guy doesn't do so well on the astb he can make up for it in other areas.

i don't know if he got it from here, but the formula in this thread also says 40% is the ASTB (25%+15%).

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10620

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
When I took it, I read the gouge here and used Arco.

But what helped me the most on the test was having taken plenty of math and having taken physics + engineering mechanics. That's all you really have to do to prepare--that and learn the basics of ship and airplane operation from the internet.

For what it's worth, my recruiter says that the ASTB has a lot to do with whether a candidate will be accepted.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For what it's worth, my recruiter says that the ASTB has a lot to do with whether a candidate will be accepted.
It does. There is a very strong correlation to astb performance and OCS graduation and flight school performance. But I don't recall a formula ever being published by CRUITCOM weighting the astb relative to the other details of an application. The reason is that although a high astb may indicate that an applicant will likely graduate OCS and not attrite flight school, the same can be determined other ways. A prior enlisted guy is not as likely to attrite from OCS because he knows what he is getting into, it isn't foreign. And someone with a technical degree and certain work experiences may be very likely to get through flight training. The whole formula thing really smacks of the Air Farce. I think the board is willing to make gut calls. Otherwise they would just plug the numbers into a computer and read the results.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

We have a sheet with the formula posted on the wall at our unit. You can also see it for yourself on the MIT NROTC site: web.mit.edu/navyrotc/NEWFILES07/MIDREGS.doc

I'm not saying it's magic, but there's definitely a formula involved.

phrogpilot73

I think the board is willing to make gut calls.
I think so too, and thank god they are. I think this is true of all boards throughout the Navy/Marine Corps. This would explain why I was selected for USNA with a 1.96 GPA, and a pretty good record in the Marine Corps. This would explain why my buddy got selected for Major, even with an NJP on his record (I told him that I was going to cease and desist my reserve package if he didn't get selected, because there was no point in continuing if he didn't). Thank god we aren't black/white...

MasterBates

If equations and formulas are the only way we make decision, might as well install SkyNet now.

skynet-terminator-724869.jpg

statesman

pilot
There was so much bad gouge in that book that I wouldn't consider it a valid source.