• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What specifically, is a day at OCS like?

girard55

I've been through some pretty miserable shit in my day, and I want to see if the DI's can get to me. Not just that, but when you think about it, they're probably not huge assholes, they're just putting on a show. You're both actors. You keep your mouth shut while he sprays your face with his military mist.

What is military mist? :eek::eek: Not sure I want to do this Navy thing after hearing that.

BigRed389

None
I've been through some pretty miserable shit in my day, and I want to see if the DI's can get to me. Not just that, but when you think about it, they're probably not huge assholes, they're just putting on a show. You're both actors. You keep your mouth shut while he sprays your face with his military mist.

No, you better learn to open your fat disgusting mouth you nasty thing. :D

Seriously, try to have fun.

E2Cougar

NFO
None
I don't understand how not being able to be seated to eat makes you into a naval officer. Just seems dumb.

It helps to prepare you for standing at attention on the drill field for hours at a time. The holding of the trays/glasses helps to develop your arms for holding the rifle. The procedures are to teach you to do things as a unit so that when you're on the drill field your movements will be crisp and together.

Just about everything they had us do in the chow hall was directed towards drill comp.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Our gunny at the end was telling us that chow hall (while yes, the holding glasses out was for rifles) making short movements with your hands, like reaching for the glass and such, was for the cockpit. It was AOCS before OCS.

PAO84

It helps to prepare you for standing at attention on the drill field for hours at a time. The holding of the trays/glasses helps to develop your arms for holding the rifle. The procedures are to teach you to do things as a unit so that when you're on the drill field your movements will be crisp and together.

Just about everything they had us do in the chow hall was directed towards drill comp.

I'm scared of drill comp. My memory is horrible. The DI's are going to eat me alive. Any tips?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I would always screw up every lax play. I'm borderline retarded, but I'll take your word for it.

You will probably be the guy in your class that makes memories on the parade deck that the rest of the class will cherish. I know some of the funniest moments at OCS for me were during drill practice.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Regardless, he has the right attitude. I'm psyched about going too. :jump_125:

I actually just heard that I FINALLY got funding to get to the Nuke VIP trip next week, so my application can move forward.

I'm psyched about becoming an officer, too. But psyched about doing squat-thrusts in the snow because my classmate's buttons were not perfectly aligned with his zipper for the 5th time? Not so much.

It's really easy to say "aw, that ain't so bad" when you're watching Full-Metal Jacket or that cheesy OCS video they show you at the recruiting station (the DI in that video is much less intimidating than R. Lee Ermey). I'd imagine that it's much different when you're actually there, and the DIs have no problems giving you endless punishment if you so much as think about breaking the 1,000 yard (or mile whatever) stare.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
It's really easy to say "aw, that ain't so bad" when you're watching Full-Metal Jacket or that cheesy OCS video they show you at the recruiting station (the DI in that video is much less intimidating than R. Lee Ermey). I'd imagine that it's much different when you're actually there, and the DIs have no problems giving you endless punishment if you so much as think about breaking the 1,000 yard (or mile whatever) stare.
Just remember it's only 12 weeks long. 12 weeks of many years in the Navy.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I don't doubt that I will make it through. I just have no illusions about how much it is going to suck horrendously in OCS -- and I'm probably under-estimating it. I'm trying to think of how much it sucked running endless suicides at the end of lax practice because "Chestnut" couldn't figure out which line was the "first white line" no matter how long the coach has been making us do them and multiplying it by 8 hours.