• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What specifically, is a day at OCS like?

Waking up at 0445 was by far the suckiest part of the day, sitting there lying in bed waiting for the shit storm that was about to begin. Especially when your in one of the "special" classes that gets sent back to squad bay and hear the door open in pitch black and know that it is to close to 0500 to be any candidate, which only leaves ...one person it could be.
Best advice for anybody going to OCS, is get a sense of humor. You'll only remember the good....well the times that you had there. Laugh at yourself, laugh at your friends, it will keep you sane.

0445, thats nothing. Enlisted boot campers get up at 0400 everyday. And considering I start work at 0400 now as a civilian and have to get up at 0300, I should be fine when it comes to getting up early am in OCS :D.

bb1125

None
First thing you need to realize is...THIS AIN'T BOOT CAMP. Trust me. If you think OCS will be easier, you're going to be in for a rude awakening. It just ain't the same.

bb1125

None
0445, thats nothing. Enlisted boot campers get up at 0400 everyday. And considering I start work at 0400 now as a civilian and have to get up at 0300, I should be fine when it comes to getting up early am in OCS :D.
BTW, it may have been 10 years since I was there, but I remember reveille being 0500 and taps to reveille actually meant rack time at boot camp unless you were on watch.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? When I went through enlisted boot camp they pulled mine when they hadn't even began to break the skin and obviously weren't bothering me. They said all SEALS, Aircrew, EOD, and SWCC had to get them pulled before leaving boot camp. That sucked.

Really.

Kycntryboy

pilot

The time of waking up wasn't that big of a deal you get used to it.. it the when you wake up to close to go back to sleep so you would just lay there. I remember the first night at OCS, I couldn't go to sleep the whole night because I was screaming ballistic in my head, it sucked. Or the at least 5 times I woke in the middle of the night thinking I was in an inspection, also sucked.

utak

When I went through Great Lakes almost three years ago, reveille is at 0600. So taps out at 10, wake up at 6, that's 8 hours of sleep per night now!

I always tried to find something funny during OCS. I thought the prior FF1 (which of course stands for Fat F*ck First Class) calling a training timeout during the in-PFA cause he was so fat was hilarious. When the DIs made us eat by the numbers on Wakeup Wednesday, I tried to bite my tongue whenever the DI says step 7 "Chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp!!!!" cause the way he yelled it was amusing. Walking from the pool from the Aviator Swim evolution, and marching by seeing Master Guns adminster trashcan love to a bunch of new poopies also brought a smile.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I don't understand how not being able to be seated to eat makes you into a naval officer. Just seems dumb.

They're training you to function in the stresses of battle, teaching you discipline, and building solidarity between you and everyone else who is simultaneously getting shit on. Probably some other stuff, too.

PAO84

They're training you to function in the stresses of battle, teaching you discipline, and building solidarity between you and everyone else who is simultaneously getting shit on. Probably some other stuff, too.

I'm not bitchin. Bring it on .

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was fairly amused.

You gotta have the picture, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

iweepzl5.jpg

for the same effect :captain_1
You also have to have the experience and credibility.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm not bitchin. Bring it on .

Off topic:

By any chance, does the PAO in your screen name stand for Public Affairs Officer? If so, a lot of guys over at the usnavyocs.com would like a word with you. PAO is tough to get into.

PAO84

I'm not quite as enthusiastic about OCS as you are. Just a stepping stone toward the goal.

I've been through some pretty miserable shit in my day, and I want to see if the DI's can get to me. Not just that, but when you think about it, they're probably not huge assholes, they're just putting on a show. You're both actors. You keep your mouth shut while he sprays your face with his military mist.