• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What specifically, is a day at OCS like?

BigRed389

None
Hahahaha, you have no idea. Imagine trying to eat a giant plate of chow and drink for glasses of liquid while having 4 or so DIs screaming at you non stop.

Now do that holding the tray in one hand, while squatting, and using the other to hold the war spoon.

Man we had fun.

PAO84

Don't want to open up a new thread for a simple question. Must you have your wisdom teeth removed prior to OCS? Thanks

taproot2779

Now do that holding the tray in one hand, while squatting, and using the other to hold the war spoon.

Man we had fun.

BWAHAHAHAHA!! My class never had that but we saw other classes get that a couple times. HI-larious!:D

oh, and they usually take out your wisdom teeth towards the end when your a candio.

FUPaladin

couldabeen
Chow hall procedures are different now that OCS is in Newport. A bunch of other people (NAPS, ODS, a few civilians, etc.) eat on the other side of the same big room, so there are no ballistics, no DIs throwing trays, and no standing to eat. That doesn't mean the candidates can relax by any means, but the chow hall does suck less now.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Jesus Christ. Thanks. I've never woken up at 4:45 in my life. You're talking to a kid who schedules his classes to begin at 3 p.m. so he can wake up at 2:45. Time to suck it up. Thanks again.

How do people make it to and thru college without ever getting up before 5am?

I used to get up to go to work at 0330... Or similar to go to a Motocross race.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Ignorance of Murphy's laws is the essence of college and sleep deprivation.

My collegiate stay up all night due to lack of foresight records:

Final project for Database programming was due the next day. Had it conceptually done by 9pm. 10pm my Database crashed and I had to redo a semesters worth of work from scratch. I stayed up until 2am fixing it, toke 2-3 hour sleep break and continued to work on it until 10:45am when I literally slid into class minutes before class ended to turn it in. Another time I got caught flat footed again with another computer programming assignment. I got up at 10:00am and didn't stop working on it until 1:am the next day.Got A's in both classes, still pissed I allowed either to happen.

Before either, I use to work overnight unloading trucks with classes flanking my work days either before or after work. The tests or 4 hour lectures after working overnight first thing in the morning drove me mad.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Jesus Christ. Thanks. I've never woken up at 4:45 in my life. You're talking to a kid who schedules his classes to begin at 3 p.m. so he can wake up at 2:45. Time to suck it up. Thanks again.

Same here. I never woke up before noon by choice before OCS since I was like 12. Waking up at 4am SUCKED but you'll get over it. If you're waking up to reveille, you're in for a world of pain....

And as for not a lot of info being available about the day in the life of OCS......perhaps that's for a reason? It's supposed to be a fricken surprise.

I had read a TON about OCS and although I knew what was coming pretty accurately each week, it DIDN'T HELP! Why get so worried about what you're going to go through. No matter how much you read it's gonna suck. And it's gonna suck worse than you ever expected it to. So get in shape, put it out of your mind, and when you roll up to OTCN, you'll be just as miserable as those who spent over a year splitting hairs about the daily schedule (read: me) whilst you were busy drinking beer.

Josh

bb1125

None
Am I to assume some sort of A Few Good Men style ritualized hazing here?
That means that once you and your classmates determine there's no staff members wandering around, you get back up to finally take care of everything you need to do prior to revielle. Then you're back in bed by 0430 before the DI's start strolling in. Good times. I never knew I could survive on 12 hours of sleep....per week.:icon_rage

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I would honestly rather not know what I'm in for at OCS. In sophomore year of high school, my lax coach was ex-military. We also had 16 guys on the team, which is about half of what a normal lax team carries. Had I known that I would end up dropping 10 lbs in 2 weeks (going from 5'9" 145 to 5'9" 135) from pretty much running 3 hours straight everyday, I would've been much less inclined to join the team. And of course we had the idiot kid who could never understand directions until 5 repititions later...

MSkinsATC

pilot
Chow hall procedures are different now that OCS is in Newport. A bunch of other people (NAPS, ODS, a few civilians, etc.) eat on the other side of the same big room, so there are no ballistics, no DIs throwing trays, and no standing to eat. That doesn't mean the candidates can relax by any means, but the chow hall does suck less now.

That really sucks, chow hall was one of the scarriest places, cause the DI's would try to impress thier buddies, and screw with you as much as possible. The main things to take away from all this is: Yes you will get up early, yes you will be tired all the time and yes you will get your ass beat more than you can imagine!!! At least thats what it was like in Pensacola, maybe they have pussified it for RI!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't want to open up a new thread for a simple question. Must you have your wisdom teeth removed prior to OCS? Thanks

No, as long as they are not causing problems. I have all 4 of mine still and I'm old.

That being said, you should have outstanding dental issues taken care of prior to OCS. You don't want to be taken out of training for something you should have taken care of prior to getting in.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You get harassed while you're eating?? :confused:

Chow hall is where most of the pain happened. Sometimes our class never made it into the chow hall. We just got the smackdown in the grass (or the pit).

The procedures for getting in the building are mind numbing @ first. Eating your pork chop with a spoon is also a treat. We had to eat at attention during indoc. Taking your tray to the window is also a bitch. In Pcola there used to be a mirror right by the tray return. I looked in it to see where the DIs were, and that was it. I got pushed backwards with my tray and we started to domino trays, breaking glasses. It was a sh!t sandwich. Gunny Dozier....he liked me.

Anyways, it becomes a game after a bit. Becomes a show when you get to be a senior candidate. The shock value wears off, and you just do it. That being said, even when we were allowed to eat junk, you must have been crazy to do it. We had some fatarses eating donuts. It cost us.

Cheers.

utak

Man we had fun.

That sucked, and so did lunging all around the chow hall four laps or so, holding our trays right in front of us the entire time. So the Chow Hall 500 is not around in Newport anymore?

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can still remember holding the glasses up and shouting

DI: "Arms are . . ."
Us: "STRAIGHT SIR!"
x infinity

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That sucked, and so did lunging all around the chow hall four laps or so, holding our trays right in front of us the entire time. So the Chow Hall 500 is not around in Newport anymore?

We never did that crazy sh!t but we didn't get to sit down until like week 7. Then it was for the last 5 min. A couple days later, the last 10 minutes. Then for a week before candio phase we got to sit down for the full 20 at chow. It sucked. It's awesome how at OCS, the most seemingly relaxing and best part of your day is made into the most dreaded. No more in Newport. I weep...:D