• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

xeroseal87

26 years old

Civilian

Bachelors: BS City and Regional Planning - Cumulative: 3.72

OAR: 44 (1st attempt) 49 (2nd attempt)

Applying for: SWO

I was an education volunteer teacher in the Peace Corps for six months and returned a couple months ago.

I just started my packet yesterday May 1st. I wanted to start my package back at the end of February, but my recruiter said to retake. I retook it on May 1st and got a 49. Do you think I have a chance at completing my pack and submitting it by this upcoming SWO Proboard for July/August 2020 SWO Proboard? And based on my stats, am I somewhat competitive for SWO?

Thank you for any feedback!
I can't speak to how competitive you are, but completing your package on time is doable. they generally take 1-6 months to get done and it is really dependent on how proactive you are about getting it done.

Major: Mechanical Engineering (concentration: Aerodynamics, Flight Dynamics, Aerospace Propulsion)
GPA: 3.25
School: Ivy League

Awards: $200,000+ Scholarships, Jack Kent foundation, Dr. Pepper, and others.
Leadership: Board of directors for a college, team lead for Cornell Robotics, and former NJROTC Batallion XO.
Volunteering: Presidential Volunteer Service Award Silver & Bronze (800+ hrs)
Flight Time: Approx 3 hrs and passed FAA Exams.
Simulator Time: 2000 hrs+ (DCS, XPLANE, FSX)
Recommendations: Lt. Col. USMC (Ret.), Col. AF (Ret.), and Engineering Professor - Ph.D. from Oxford University.

Assuming I get a fairly competitive OAR and ASTB, what are my chances for selection?

Last edited:

Ricosroughnecks7

Major: Mechanical Engineering (concentration: Aerodynamics, Flight Dynamics, Aerospace Propulsion)
School: Cornell University (Ivy League)

Awards: $120,000 Jack Kent Cooke College Scholarship, $20,000 Dr.Pepper Scholarship, Marine Corps Scholastic Award, All-USA Scholar.
Leadership: Elected board of directors for a college and team lead for Cornell Robotics managing 60 students, and NJROTC Batallion XO.
Volunteering: Presidential Volunteer Service Award Silver & Bronze, STEM Robotics volunteering at elementary schools.
Recommendations: Lt. Col. USMC (Ret.), Col. AF (Ret.), and Engineering Professor - Ph.D. from Oxford University.

Also, I'm African American, not sure if that matters but it seems that the military has minority aviation recruitment problems.

I plan on taking the OAR at the end of the summer, with some studying, and my background, I think I should easily hit a 60+.

Assuming I get a fairly competitive OAR 55+, what do you guys think of my stats?

Respectfully, take the test and then post the results.

exNavyOffRec

School: Ivy League

Awards: $200,000+ Scholarships, Jack Kent foundation, Dr. Pepper, and others.
Leadership: Board of directors for a college, team lead for Cornell Robotics, and former NJROTC Batallion XO.
Volunteering: Presidential Volunteer Service Award Silver & Bronze (800+ hrs)

Also, I'm African American, not sure if that matters but it seems that the military has minority aviation recruitment problems.

I plan on taking the OAR at the end of the summer, with some studying, and my background, I think I should easily hit a 60+.

Assuming I get a fairly competitive OAR 55+, what do you guys think of my stats?

To be blunt most everything you posted is irrelevant in getting selected for SNA, pretty much the only thing that will matter is the ASTB, not the OAR.

bunzoomie

Posted my stats for the SWO board in April 2020 but that got pushed to a later date, so adding my info here just for feedback while waiting:

Applying: SWO
GPA: 3.75 Communications Studies from University of San Francisco
OAR: 48 (2nd attempt)
LORs: Two prior bosses (one in the reserves for the Marines, other is from a tech pr firm), one professor from university
Extracurriculars: Volunteer work at food bank, was an RA in college for two academic years and a summer

Also, does recent work experience matter? I've primarily been working part-time jobs after I graduated spring 2019 to focus on PT, but I had to quit due to Covid-19 (not worth the risk because my job didn't cover health insurance) and I'm worried my spotty jobs after graduation may hinder my application.

Thanks in advance!

hooyahnavy

Applying: Naval Aviator
GPA: 3.177 Computer Science
ASTB: 6/6/6
FY21

Currently a NROTC MIDN, trying to figure out how I stand for service assignment. I recently submitted by designator preference for Spring 2021 service assignment. I also haven't been given much information from OI's regarding service assignment and what's considered competitive for aviation service assignment. Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

Applying: Naval Aviator
GPA: 3.177 Computer Science
ASTB: 6/6/6
FY21

Currently a NROTC MIDN, trying to figure out how I stand for service assignment. I recently submitted by designator preference for Spring 2021 service assignment. I also haven't been given much information from OI's regarding service assignment and what's considered competitive for aviation service assignment. Thanks!

Service assignment for NROTC and OCS are different, what I can tell you is that 6's are the minimums for aviation.

Seawarriors0115

Hello,

Just realized I posted my previous post in the wrong sub.

Please let me hear your honest thoughts on my chances of getting picked for Intel OCS. I am also interested in Supply and would put it as my 2nd choice.
Stats:
  • Will be 26 year old when I apply
  • 3.94 GPA.
  • Double major in Finance and Economics from a regular state's flagship school.
  • OAR : 56
  • Pretty involved in student government. That's about it for my EC in college.
  • Was also captain of my school performing arts team. Won several state-wide competitions.
Background:
  • 3 years of work experience in "high-finance" in NY.
  • My current work involves a lot of PowerPoint/Excel work + pitches. I would say I am very skilled in preparing slide decks/excel sheets. I am not sure how much it could help my chances :)
  • Immigrant from Vietnam. Moved to the US since high school.
I plan to submit my package once this Covid situation gets better, since I want to be around for my family in the meantime.
What do you think my odds of getting picked for Intel are, let's say out of 10? My biggest concern is my immigrant background and if that would make it difficult for me to get a security clearance, since I spent half of my life in birth country before moving to the states. What are your thoughts on that?
What do you think I can do to improve my application strength?
Thank you!

antonkr

Hello,

Please let me hear your honest thoughts on my chances of getting picked for Intel OCS. I am also interested in Supply and would put it as my 2nd choice.
Stats:
  • 3.94 GPA.
  • Was also captain of my school performing arts team. Won several state-wide competitions.
Background:
  • My current work involves a lot of PowerPoint/Excel work + pitches. I would say I am very skilled in preparing slide decks/excel sheets. I am not sure how much it could help my chances :)
I plan to submit my package once this Covid situation gets better, since I want to be around for my family in the meantime.
What do you think my odds of getting picked for Intel are, let's say out of 10? My biggest concern is my immigrant background and if that would make it difficult for me to get a security clearance, since I spent half of my life in birth country before moving to the states. What are your thoughts on that?
Thank you!
My understanding on dual citizenship (assuming you have one, if you don't this shouldn't be a problem at all) is that it's considered very much on case by case basis, with potential requirements for surrendering your second citizenship, either by formal renunciation or surrendering of the second passport. So, just at the very least be ready for that.

OperationChungus

pilot
My understanding on dual citizenship (assuming you have one, if you don't this shouldn't be a problem at all) is that it's considered very much on case by case basis, with potential requirements for surrendering your second citizenship, either by formal renunciation or surrendering of the second passport. So, just at the very least be ready for that.

When I renounced my foreign citizenship, all I had to do was put my passport through a shredder. I don't remember if I ever had to sign anything. It was pretty chill and super easy.

exNavyOffRec

When I renounced my foreign citizenship, all I had to do was put my passport through a shredder. I don't remember if I ever had to sign anything. It was pretty chill and super easy.
It is that easy with some countries, others have more hoops to jump through, the NRD and NRC processors will have the applicant follow the steps and get proof.

In some cases that is all it is, in other cases foreign contacts (family) become an issue, I had applicants from Vietnam who are serving and yet another applicant from Vietnam was denied. I would tell any applicant fill out the info and see how it all plays out.

Knightsnation

Knightsnation
Hello,

Stats:
  • 3.94 GPA.
Background:
Thank you!

10/10 Supply Corps picks you up if you don’t have criminal history. I’m a Supply Corps officer

senatesnob

Nothing worse than the House of Represenatives
Hello,

Stats:
  • 3.94 GPA.
Background:
Thank you!

If you have extensive family ties, foreign contacts in Vietnam, PRC, etc. or any immediate relatives with foreign citizenship, prepare for a very long clearance process. I’d talk to a recruiter and get that SF-86 submitted ASAP. Just do not lie in any respect; they will find out. Clearances often take 12-18 mo+ without a whole lot extra going on. If you have any criminal history or drug use it’ll only make it more difficult.

Talk to a recruiter and ask them to see if they can find someone in the IC to talk to. I’d probably go supply and then lat transfer or apply SWO-INTEL.

Either way, just apply. The IC will value your experience and (I’m assuming) language skills. If you really want Intel, who cares what it is out of 10, just keep applying until they call and tell you to stop. Lots of Intel folks had to apply multiple times.

As for the slide deck, it is important but even more so is briefing. Gotta be able to pull out the single most important face on the slide and then place it within your story.

exNavyOffRec

If you have extensive family ties, foreign contacts in Vietnam, PRC, etc. or any immediate relatives with foreign citizenship, prepare for a very long clearance process. I’d talk to a recruiter and get that SF-86 submitted ASAP. Just do not lie in any respect; they will find out. Clearances often take 12-18 mo+ without a whole lot extra going on. If you have any criminal history or drug use it’ll only make it more difficult.

Talk to a recruiter and ask them to see if they can find someone in the IC to talk to. I’d probably go supply and then lat transfer or apply SWO-INTEL.

Either way, just apply. The IC will value your experience and (I’m assuming) language skills. If you really want Intel, who cares what it is out of 10, just keep applying until they call and tell you to stop. Lots of Intel folks had to apply multiple times.

As for the slide deck, it is important but even more so is briefing. Gotta be able to pull out the single most important face on the slide and then place it within your story.
As a note a SF-86 cannot be submitted until the application is submitted, and then it is only reviewed to see if there are any show stoppers, the ball doesn't get rolling until after selection, and yes that has resulted in people getting hung up down the line.

They are now telling people "do not return" as they are tiring of seeing people apply over and over again, and the overall data shows the best chance of being selected is the first look (does not apply if you then apply for another designator).