• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

BroskiOCS

Hi, only my second time using this forum and apologies in advance if I am doing anything wrong. it’s a little tricky to navigate especially on mobile but I submitted my package for the 10 FEB 20 SWO board and I was wondering what you guys think in regards to my chances on being selected as the “am I competitive chart” on the first page is from 7 years ago

GPA: BS in Criminology 3.35-3.45 (fluctuating because I graduate I’m may)

ASTB/OAR: 5/5/6 53

letters of rec:
State governor
Former O-6 topgun instructor
Former SWCC

I’ll have to admit my personal statement essay was a bit sloppy and I can’t remember if there was somewhere In my packet where I mentioned that I had managerial experience at a cafe and actively participated in athletic sports For all of high school and part of college.
You have a solid shot. As many of the admins will tell you, you have a 0% chance if you don't apply. I also had a degree in Criminal Justice (3.8 GPA) and a 50 OAR. For SWO I don't see anything in your package that needs obvious improvement. I was selected on the June 2019 board and just graduated OCS in December. Good luck to you!

kyleworden19

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the site and am looking to see what my chances are for the board as a Pilot/NFO/Intel. I’ll post everything down here, let me know how I’m looking when you get a chance.

Background: I worked as a video coordinator for a football team. I led student workers in providing film for our coaching staff. I interned for two years pulling 100 hour work weeks, and worked my way to a full time position, if that helps.
Degrees: B.A. History (2.67 GPA) M.A. Sports Coaching (3.77 GPA)
OAR: 54
AQR/PFAR/FOFAR: 6/6/6
Choices: Pilot/NFO/Intel
LOR: 1 co-worker, 1 manager, 2 former coaches
Leadership: Had a leadership position as a coordinator for a Division I Football program for two years. NRHA member for 1 year at my college.

I was told by my recruiter that my Masters GPA supersedes my Bachelors GPA for the Intel slot.

Let me know how I’m lookin’. Thanks in advance.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
Good Afternoon,

Been trying to become a pilot for the past 10 years.

Background: Prior service enlisted. Active duty Marine Corps Meteorologist. Multiple awards, one deployment. Familiar with Navy/Marine Corps aviation operations. Briefed command staff of Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force, Crisis Response-Africa on a daily basis for 7 months.
Degree: B.A. Psychology (2.57 GPA) Earned degree before enlisting.
AQR/PFAR/FOFAR: 6/7/6
Position: Pilot only
LORs: 3 Marine Corps Aviators. One O-6, Two O-5's
Leadership: Marine NCO, small unit/shift leader, adviser to command staff on deployment.

Thanks in advance. Been trying to get in the cockpit for a decade.

I was in Air Force ROTC in college, applied for Marine Corps OCS after ROTC gave away all of the spots to engineering majors, and didnt get selected 3 times. After I enlisted, I got 3 interservice transfers approved, but the Air Force recruiter dropped the ball on my submission and EAS'd. Would have applied again but I had to go on a deployment. Navy recruiter helped me out and completed a package but I was injured and needed to recover. EAS'd.. Recently turned down Active Duty Air Force selection because they required me to list a second choice (Combat Systems Officer) and that's what they picked me for. I wanted pilot.

Acsantosus

Good Afternoon,

Been trying to become a pilot for the past 10 years.

Background: Prior service enlisted. Active duty Marine Corps Meteorologist. Multiple awards, one deployment. Familiar with Navy/Marine Corps aviation operations. Briefed command staff of Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force, Crisis Response-Africa on a daily basis for 7 months.
Degree: B.A. Psychology (2.57 GPA) Earned degree before enlisting.
Position: Pilot only
LORs: 3 Marine Corps Aviators. One O-6, Two O-5's
Leadership: Marine NCO, small unit/shift leader, adviser to command staff on deployment.

Thanks in advance. Been trying to get in the cockpit for a decade.

I was in Air Force ROTC in college, applied for Marine Corps OCS after ROTC gave away all of the spots to engineering majors, and didnt get selected 3 times. After I enlisted, I got 3 interservice transfers approved, but the Air Force recruiter dropped the ball on my submission and EAS'd. Would have applied again but I had to go on a deployment. Navy recruiter helped me out and completed a package but I was injured and needed to recover. EAS'd.. Recently turned down Active Duty Air Force selection because they required me to list a second choice (Combat Systems Officer) and that's what they picked me for. I wanted pilot.
Hey brother, it sounds like you’ve had one hell of a ride in the military. In some ways it seems you’ve had a toe in almost every branch, that give you an out look that most don’t have (positive) but it may also give the perspective that you’re not 100% committed to anyone thing. I will admit thT I was not the most competitive candidate for my board but I was Selected. I think (speculation) my package was not focused on a job/ community. I was focused on leadership and leading Sailors, at the end of the day regardless of what community belongs to (a fact that should not matter) your number one priority should be mentorship, leadership, and how your going to make the Navy better by your selection as an Officer. (again speculation/ opinion) but I wish you the best on the board!

jhaselti

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the site and am looking to see what my chances are for the board as a Pilot/NFO/Intel. I’ll post everything down here, let me know how I’m looking when you get a chance.

Background: I worked as a video coordinator for a football team. I led student workers in providing film for our coaching staff. I interned for two years pulling 100 hour work weeks, and worked my way to a full time position, if that helps.
Degrees: B.A. History (2.67 GPA) M.A. Sports Coaching (3.77 GPA)
AQR/PFAR/FOFAR: 6/6/6
Choices: Pilot/NFO/Intel
LOR: 1 co-worker, 1 manager, 2 former coaches
Leadership: Had a leadership position as a coordinator for a Division I Football program for two years. NRHA member for 1 year at my college.

I was told by my recruiter that my Masters GPA supersedes my Bachelors GPA for the Intel slot.

Let me know how I’m lookin’. Thanks in advance.
The supersedes just means that it will meet the requirement of being above a certain GPA. The cumulative GPA is what makes you competitive. Based on your current id say its around a 2.8-2.9 which is far from competitive for intel, not to mention the degree is not ideal. But you never really know who they would select from board to board and you have 0% if you dont try. From what ive read the PFAR and FOFAR are slightly low, i think they look for 7s, ive seen mix of 6 and 7s make it. I would add in SWO instead of intel if you arent picked up for your boards and you apply again.

Ricosroughnecks7

Hi All,

I've been working on studying for a while and finally got the final scores I was aiming for.

I am interested in submitting a package for SNA only.
No prior military.
OAR: 56
Undergraduate: Chemical Engineering
Undergraduate GPA: 3.05

Grad Certificate - Systems Engineering Naval Postgraduate School
GPA: 3.93

Master’s: Engineering Management (In-Progress 15 Credits Remaining/ 45 Credits)
Current Master's GPA: 4.0

LORs:
O6 - NUC/Engineering Command CO
O4 - NFO
O6 - Intel Command XO
Senior Executive Service Department Head

2 Years of Navy Intel experience as an Intel Analyst (GS-09 to GS 11)
3 Years of Navy Engineering experience as a Naval Engineer (GS-05 to GS-09)

Do I wait to get my masters and then submit for a board or will I be okay where I currently am?

cmundey

Hello,
I am submitting for the March Supply board, just wanted to see what you all thought my chances were. A little nervous about my low undergraduate GPA, hopefully I made up for that with my master’s.
No prior military.

We're applying for the same board with the same OAR! Nice to see someone else on here going for Supply.​

6 years of management experience. I feel like my motivational statement was really strong, I had many people read over it including a current major.
We both also have management experience although you've had a few more years than me. Is this your first time applying for Supply? Best of luck to you!​

Good day folks,
I’m trying to put in a package for SNA jun 26 board. I took ASTB and scored 51 6/7/5. GPA 4.0 in Aviation Science - Professional Pilot, and will be graduating next year. I’m reading through posts, and a bit concerned because I don’t know what are the chances I get selected. Thank you very much for your comments & thoughts.

Fitzou

Long story short, joined the Navy 10 years ago due to a low GPA in college.

Active Duty: ITC, 10 years
GPA: Bachelors in History, 2.3. Masters in IT Telecommunications Management, 4.0
NJP: 6 years ago had a Drunk in Public, minor misdemeanor fine of less than $250
Quals: IW/SW/AW, MTS, JFTOC, BWA, Sec+, CSA+
ACFL and all PRTs are Excellent from the last 5 years

Looking to apply for the June board as an IP 1820

Acsantosus

Long story short, joined the Navy 10 years ago due to a low GPA in college.

Active Duty: ITC, 10 years
GPA: Bachelors in History, 2.3. Masters in IT Telecommunications Management, 4.0
NJP: 6 years ago had a Drunk in Public, minor misdemeanor fine of less than $250
Quals: IW/SW/AW, MTS, JFTOC, BWA, Sec+, CSA+
ACFL and all PRTs are Excellent from the last 5 years

Looking to apply for the June board as an IP 1820
I’m in no way a expert on this matter and my advice my be a waste of your time. But the first question is did you try to hide or rather leave it out of your package for making Chief? If not then I would say not to leave it out of an Officer package. Second I think that as others may have said if you address it in your personal statement it shows your not trying to hiding anything and you have taken accountability for something that happened a long time ago. I’d say own your shit and show how your better from the event. Again I’m probably not qualified to answer this question.

Fitzou

I’m in no way a expert on this matter and my advice my be a waste of your time. But the first question is did you try to hide or rather leave it out of your package for making Chief? If not then I would say not to leave it out of an Officer package. Second I think that as others may have said if you address it in your personal statement it shows your not trying to hiding anything and you have taken accountability for something that happened a long time ago. I’d say own your shit and show how your better from the event. Again I’m probably not qualified to answer this question.

You dont need to address it for a Chief package honestly. They see the code when they pull up your package, the rule of thumb for the Chief board is that anything over 5 years is not really supposed to count against you. LDO packages only require you to report infractions from the last 3 years. I did address it in my LDO package this past year and was a non-select. I've heard various points of view of this from quite a few Officers.

Acsantosus

You dont need to address it for a Chief package honestly. They see the code when they pull up your package, the rule of thumb for the Chief board is that anything over 5 years is not really supposed to count against you. LDO packages only require you to report infractions from the last 3 years. I did address it in my LDO package this past year and was a non-select. I've heard various points of view of this from quite a few Officers.
@1812TC do you have any experience you can share on this matter? Don’t mean to call you out but I remember you having a similar situation.

1812TC

@1812TC do you have any experience you can share on this matter? Don’t mean to call you out but I remember you having a similar situation.
I did not mention in my statement about my 8 year old DUI, only submitted my waiver detailing it, owning it and telling how I would never do it again and what I’ve learned from it. Was a pre-Rec N “DNR”. This time, I’m touching on it in my statement, my Lt Col wrote about how overcoming adversity has developed me into a better leader because of it, so we’ll see how the SWO board feels about it here in the next few days. Any adversity down to a Pg 11 up to a NJP is briefed all the way to E9 in the Marine Corps, it hasn’t stopped me from getting E7 within 11 years but has prevented me from my first and only chance at flight. All of my fitreps are phenomenal, combat deployement under my belt, never any other adversity besides a single DUI that was in a break in service after I separated after Afghanistan and was still allowed to come back on active duty and continue promoting. There’s my whole story, not that it matters, take it with a grain of salt, these boards are literally however that officer is feeling that day. Guys got picked up with duis on the board prior to mine that I missed due to processing error, then I receive DNR on the next board. Your guess is as good as mine. But I’d say touch on it in your statement if you have a waiver for it