• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What not to do at OCS

badger16

None
Quick correction. The Kid just showed up with just the Bomber jacket and no callsign, he was given the "Maverick" tag soon after. In my post super Bowl state of mind (read drunk) I read the email wrong. The point though is that there is still something we can take away from this...Don't be THAT guy.

swerdna

None
Contributor
Towards the middle of OCS some guys were starting to get frustrated with the whole situation. My class was a little over half nuke, so some of them probably thought they were too smart for it as well. I guess some nukes get to go through OCS at higher paygrades, so a few were paid as E-7s.

I was one of the only prior enlisted in the class, and one day one of the nukes comes up to me and asks, "What paygrade is the DI?"

So I answered, "E-7," and could see the gears turning in his head. He asked if that meant he and the DI were at the same level, since they had the same paygrade. I quickly told him that although they were at the same paygrade, the DI not only has positional authority, but is also a 15-year veteran of the Marine Corps so there was no comparison. He understood but looked a little disappointed.

OCS is a twelve-week game. Play it. Like some others mentioned, great advice: Do NOT be THAT guy.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... I quickly told him that although they were at the same paygrade, the DI not only has positional authority, but is also a 15-year veteran of the Marine Corps so there was no comparison. He understood but looked a little disappointed.

Not only that, E-7 is just what it sounds like, a PAYgrade. The rank of Officer Candidate is decidedly lower than a USMC Gunnery Sergeant.

@SNA Dad &XNavy tell the story about the Chief and Officer arguing about standing watch.

So The Kelso is my son if you folks haven't figured that out yet. My house was like That 70's show but without the dope. I'm Red so his friends say.
I was a FC from 86-97 and onboard my first Destroyer we got a new FCCM and he was a salty dog. He had been onboard the ship on a previous tour but as a E-6. So when he checked onboard he was told by our Weapons Officer to see the Enlisted Watchbill Coordinator. Master Chief replied "Master Chiefs don't stand duty". He was told "onboard the Tattnall they do". So he went and met the coordinator who was a E-8. Master Chief then proceeded to relieve him of the Watchbill duties and reworked the Watchbill. The ship went from 4 section duty to 6 and Master Chiefs no longer had duty. The entire ship loved him, it was a great time.

I appreciate all of the info. The Aviation side of the navy is new to me. I was a FC and my youngest son was a OS. So we know how the Surface Warfare side works. The Kelso surprised all of us when he announced he was leaving his big $$ Engineering job for a chance to fly for the Navy. I would have done the same thing, hell I still would.

Thanks again for all the info. What percent gets jets? Lol

LadyT

Towards the middle of OCS some guys were starting to get frustrated with the whole situation. My class was a little over half nuke, so some of them probably thought they were too smart for it as well. I guess some nukes get to go through OCS at higher paygrades, so a few were paid as E-7s.

I was one of the only prior enlisted in the class, and one day one of the nukes comes up to me and asks, "What paygrade is the DI?"

So I answered, "E-7," and could see the gears turning in his head. He asked if that meant he and the DI were at the same level, since they had the same paygrade. I quickly told him that although they were at the same paygrade, the DI not only has positional authority, but is also a 15-year veteran of the Marine Corps so there was no comparison. He understood but looked a little disappointed.

OCS is a twelve-week game. Play it. Like some others mentioned, great advice: Do NOT be THAT guy.
I almost wish you would have let it play out without telling the nuke that the DI had positional authority...it definitely would have made for an interesting story lol.

swopeful

haze gray is my favorite color.
I almost wish you would have let it play out without telling the nuke that the DI had positional authority...it definitely would have made for an interesting story lol.
Dying just thinking about that. The nukes were entertaining even in bootcamp, and I can only imagine the dynamic between nukes and USMC GySgts.
62482936.jpg