• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What not to do at OCS

phrogpilot73

The one I have repeatedly heard is the guy pissing on the statue of Ataturk in Turkey, and was promptly thrown in Turkish jail for a stay.........
That must have happened more than once... A JO on my Dad's first (or second) ship did that same thing. When they got underway, he was still in jail.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The same statue? What is it a statue of, a hydrant?

Apparently there are statues of Ataturk everywhere in Turkey, or so I have been told by guys who have been there. There is actually a law against insulting the memory of Ataturk, here is a Human Rights Watch page about it and other laws:

The Law concerning crimes committed against Atatürk/ Atatürk Aleyhine Ilenen Suçlar Hakknda Kanun (No. 5816, Adopted July 25, 1951)

Anyone who publicly insults or curses the memory of Atatürk shall be imprisoned with a heavy sentence of between one and three years.

http://hrw.org/press98/feb/fe-turk.htm

So, the moral of the story is don't piss on a statue in Turkey that looks like this when you are staring at the sky ready to release all that recycled beer.........

ataturk-close.jpg

It is kind of like how we would find something like this insulting (there are no guards posted there like they have at Arlington........:()

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=dfaae499-b7ae-4f6d-8190-b1fed9077bdb

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
I find it hilarious that we as Americans have a reoccuring pissing problem in Turkey...( On a particular statue!!) I had the same problem on my cruise... the guy sat in jail for a LONG time!

phrogpilot73

I find it hilarious that we as Americans have a reoccuring pissing problem in Turkey...( On a particular statue!!) I had the same problem on my cruise... the guy sat in jail for a LONG time!
And people wonder why whole ships have been invited to leave a country midway through a port call. We were close on my last cruise. It got so bad that we had to be back on the ship by 2200, regardless of rank. When you think about it, Italy doesn't start serving dinner until 1900-1930... Luckily, they spared us that crap when we got to France and had a mostly normal port call - officers still had to be back at midnight.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Do ships from other countries ever make port calls here and make complete asses of themselves?

I know debauchery and shenanigans have been the hallmark of off duty military members since the beginning of time, but it seems that we're the worst of modern times. I mean, damn, Turkish prisons are infamous. How stupid do you have to be...

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
One must know the difference between being belligerent and being disrespectful.
The trick is to avoid the latter.

phrogpilot73

Do ships from other countries ever make port calls here and make complete asses of themselves?
Yes, and not really. I've run into foreign service members on port calls and on exercises here in the US, and they aren't nearly as bad as we are in port. Why? I have my theories:

1. Cultural acceptance of alcohol. Think about it, they have little or no "legal age" in the country where they are from, so they have been exposed to alcohol since a very early age. They may have been drinking since they were 16 (or younger), because it is part of their culture. We aren't allowed to legally start until we're 21. We're probably doing all the foolish alcohol related stuff they did when they were younger.

2. Alcohol on ships. This is huge. They have full bars on their ships, and are allowed to consume while underway. They are not looking forward to the port call after a month, or two, or three to have a beer that turns into 20. When they get off the ship, it's not that big a deal.

3. Culturally accepted behavior. We've all heard about "rude Americans" and overseas it is noticeable. Behavior that we view as accepted/entitled is viewed as unacceptable overseas. Even in the most liberal of countries.

4. Rights of the accused/enforcement of standards of conduct. Again, Americans are spoiled and have a large number of rights afforded to them in the US, and they take those rights for granted. When they go overseas, the same decorum is not acceptable and their lifestyle is enforced. Cops laying the smack down on someone who is drunk and beligerent is considered police brutality in the US, and proper enforcement in Italy. Caning in the US would be considered cruel and unusual punishment, but is accepted practice in Singapore. Public Urination in the US results in perhaps a night of jail/maybe a fine, it's a stiff jail sentence in Turkey.

It boils down to the fact that we are guests in their country, a fact that alot of servicemen and women don't "get". Whether or not foreign servicemen/women "get" that concept when they visit our country is moot, because of our liberal laws that focus on the rights of the individual. That is why this country is so great, and is worth fighting for.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
... I've run into foreign service members on port calls and on exercises here in the US, and they aren't nearly as bad as we are in port....
I've hung out with Brit, Aussie, Russian and Irish service members in foreign ports (to all of us) and they were wilder then hanging out with my fellow Americans. I came closer to the infamous "international incident" with them then I ever did with a bunch of our guys. Good thing I was with the UN at the time and we all had diplomatic immunity.......:eek: Those boys and girls can party. :D

We also had an Army Green Beanie Colonel as our senior American in the mission. His philosphy...work hard and the hard partying will be excused. A truly great officer! :D

phrogpilot73

I've hung out with Brit, Aussie, Russian and Irish service members in foreign ports (to all of us) and they were wilder then hanging out with my fellow Americans. I came closer to the infamous "international incident" with them then I ever did with a bunch of our guys. Good thing I was with the UN at the time and we all had diplomatic immunity.......:eek: Those boys and girls can party. :D

We also had an Army Green Beanie Colonel as our senior American in the mission. His philosphy...work hard and the hard partying will be excused. A truly great officer! :D
I think their wildness is directly tied to hanging out with us. When we saw those guys out in town, on their own, they seemed pretty tame. Once we started drinking with them, it was almost as if they were trying to prove something to us.

I remember carrying our too-drunk-to-walk Brit exchange officer back to the ship, all the while he's yelling that Americans can't hold their liqour... :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
How about expanding the thread to include what not to do before OCS as well? Things like delaying working out to last minute, obsessing about heat & humidity or over training to point of getting stress fractures or shin splits OR becoming notorious on AW to point of getting gifts at OCS.

I haven't seen this thread until today.

So with that, I HATE you all. :D

Especially MB (Or should I say my PS1 fiance'? :D) and Snake. (The other two packages were sent by tools who didn't sign their names or make it obvious. Probably losers in A-pool).;)

phrogpilot73

I haven't seen this thread until today.

So with that, I HATE you all. :D

Especially MB (Or should I say my PS1 fiance'? :D) and Snake. (The other two packages were sent by tools who didn't sign their names or make it obvious. Probably losers in A-pool).;)
So I'm guessing you DIDN'T like the care packages that were sent to you? And no, I'm not one of the tools...

Reactions: Tom

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't know AW people actually went through with this! I am thoroughly amused.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Joboy was as famous in OCS as he was on AW before his departure to OCS...

The stories were still being told of the packages when I left Newport. +1 Joboy for the great times.