• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN What is the difference between a Naval Aircrewman and Spec Ops AIRR?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
attend jump school and get my ranger tab
FFS, if you want to be an Army Ranger, you join the Army.

For the OP, it's time to take a few deep breaths and figure out WTF you're trying to do here. Someone like you comes poking around once in a while with a completely distorted idea of what the military is. You want to do everything that might be bad-ass, and you want to do it all, but not put in the work to make it a reality. If you go into the military with that mindset, you're going to be sorely disappointed and be stuck doing something you hate for 4-6 years. You're certainly not going to be given any job/mission with "special" in the name without a significant amount of mental and physical training - to say nothing about the levels of physical/mental/academic readiness that you'll have to maintain throughout a career.

Time for a gut check. Perhaps college would be a better short-term option for you while you figure out what you really want in life.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, google AWR rate navy, AWS rate navy, AWO rate navy, AWF rate navy, and AWV rate navy. The first link (navy website with a pdf) you'll find has the training pipeline and expectations. Jump school and Ranger school are not part of it anywhere. AWs have a pretty awesome job compared to most jobs in the Navy, but it's not some high speed shit in 99% of the cases.

Ralph

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would give up a firefighting gig if he is with a city. That retirement will be bigger than anything the military can offer.

italianlifter

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would give up a firefighting gig if he is with a city. That retirement will be bigger than anything the military can offer.

Sir, the reason why is cause everyone (well mostly everyone) is currently telling me to join and I would be stupid not to join. They say the benefits are way better and retirement plan is way better and you can't go wrong joining the military. Old retired Aircrewman AW veteran is the one mainly telling me that I should go in and that I should stop wasting my time at the fire department. He keeps telling me that the way I'm disciplined at the amount of great shape I am in, says it would be wise of me to go in cause he believes I would do really well. Not my words, his. I live in Georgia and I'm not working for Atlanta so maybe thats why you could possibly think the retirement is better.. not sure but the Veteran always tells me that the fire department does not pay well for the amount of work we do and he stats over and over again that a young buck like myself should be doing so much more stuff then working at a fire department at such a young age.

italianlifter

Dude, google AWR rate navy, AWS rate navy, AWO rate navy, AWF rate navy, and AWV rate navy. The first link (navy website with a pdf) you'll find has the training pipeline and expectations. Jump school and Ranger school are not part of it anywhere. AWs have a pretty awesome job compared to most jobs in the Navy, but it's not some high speed shit in 99% of the cases.

I will google it. Thanks

italianlifter

FFS, if you want to be an Army Ranger, you join the Army.

For the OP, it's time to take a few deep breaths and figure out WTF you're trying to do here. Someone like you comes poking around once in a while with a completely distorted idea of what the military is. You want to do everything that might be bad-ass, and you want to do it all, but not put in the work to make it a reality. If you go into the military with that mindset, you're going to be sorely disappointed and be stuck doing something you hate for 4-6 years. You're certainly not going to be given any job/mission with "special" in the name without a significant amount of mental and physical training - to say nothing about the levels of physical/mental/academic readiness that you'll have to maintain throughout a career.

Time for a gut check. Perhaps college would be a better short-term option for you while you figure out what you really want in life.

Not trying to sound like an asshole but my ultimate goal is to work my ass off until I reach the age of about 55-60 years old and retire with a hell of a good retirement plan. I want to do 20 years in the military and get out and then 15-20 years in the police or fire department so I can have 2 retirement plans. Then with those 2 retirement plans I want to move to Maui and just live on the island. Thats my ultimate goal. Its not that I do not want to put in the work per say but its more along the idea of making sure what I am getting into will suit my athletic ability so I can be the best I can be so I do not let my "Crew" down if that makes sense. Why would I spend over 100 grand for a degree that is a piece of paper that majority of the time doesn't get you anywhere. College is not what it used to be just saying. Would love to go to college and get a physical therapy degree or do something in sports medicine but I don't believe the cost of the degree is worth the risk personally. Anyways thanks for replying brother

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sir, the reason why is cause everyone (well mostly everyone) is currently telling me to join and I would be stupid not to join. They say the benefits are way better and retirement plan is way better and you can't go wrong joining the military. Old retired Aircrewman AW veteran is the one mainly telling me that I should go in and that I should stop wasting my time at the fire department. He keeps telling me that the way I'm disciplined at the amount of great shape I am in, says it would be wise of me to go in cause he believes I would do really well. Not my words, his. I live in Georgia and I'm not working for Atlanta so maybe thats why you could possibly think the retirement is better.. not sure but the Veteran always tells me that the fire department does not pay well for the amount of work we do and he stats over and over again that a young buck like myself should be doing so much more stuff then working at a fire department at such a young age.

An "AW" means different things to different people, during different times in the Navy. As CommodoreMid pointed out, there's 5 different AW rates now. It's very possible that during "the Veteran's" time, he was a dry aircrewman, which means he was in a helo, but wasn't a SAR swimmer. That doesn't exist anymore.

The retirement that "the Veteran" had will be different than what you'll have access to. There's a whole thread here about the new retirement system where people argue if it's better or not, so you might want to look at that.

Also, color me shocked that Ralph is wrong about something.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thats my ultimate goal. Its not that I do not want to put in the work per say but its more along the idea of making sure what I am getting into will suit my athletic ability so I can be the best I can be so I do not let my "Crew" down if that makes sense.

I really don't think you're understanding day to day life in the military. It's 90% mental, especially as an Aircrewman. Except during the beach volleyball portion of the day. Dog tags: optional.

Would love to go to college and get a physical therapy degree or do something in sports medicine but I don't believe the cost of the degree is worth the risk personally.

If there's any risk to anything in life, it's definitely not worth trying. Yay, Millennials. (awaiting Nittany's wrath)

Goodfou

Appreciate everyone replying back to me and giving me a lot of information that educated me. I did come to the conclusion not to long ago after doing my 500 yard swim in 11:22 that I truly do not wanna be a Rescue Swimmer even though I love what the job entitles if that makes sense. I'm not sure if I'm getting old or what but I just don't seem to have that motivation anymore like I used to when I was 18-20 years of age. I wanna be an Aircrewman but just don't feel like going through all that extensive training (I know pathetic). If I was 18 then I would of definitely gave it a shot but doing it now doesn't seem like the right choice cause I don't believe I can give it my all. I love fitness and I love being in shape but I just don't think I have the mental capacity to deal with all the training. Now my dream would to be doing something in special operations like maybe TACP but I just don't think I can deal with all that training is all. My goal was to do 20 years in spec ops and have a real good retirement plan and then get out and then move to florida to become a cop and maybe join a SWAT team but I guess not everything goes to plan. Just have to find the right route I need to take in my life is all cause I definitely don't wanna be stuck at this fire department for any longer. Anyways appreciate everyones responses

As a "current" AWF Aircrew "man," I'd like to address a couple concerns with your thoughts on being a Naval Aircrewman. You state you don't think you "have the mental capacity" to complete Rescue Swimmer school. Perhaps you are not familiar with the training pipeline for a "dry" Aircrewman. All Aircrew start out their training at Naval Aircrewman Candidate School, which is about five weeks. At this school, you will be required to be able to swim a mile in a flight suit and boots in addition to other water survival tests. The school is centered around physical fitness-both in and out of the water. IF you finish this school, you are NOT a Naval Aircrewman. You will have to complete an academically centered "A" school depending on your rate, AWF, AWO, AWS, etc (2-6 months). IF you finish this school, you will receive orders to a Fleet Replacement Squadron for the aircraft you are assigned to. This training will be 6-12 months depending on the platform consisting of a combination of classroom instruction and flight/sim events. IF you complete this training, you will generally receive orders to SERE school in route to your first operational squadron; however, you will not yet be a designated Naval Aircrewman. You will have generally have from 12-18 months to fully qualify in your job at which point you will finally be designated a Naval Aircrewman (after you complete the PQS for the warfare device). That being said, having the "mental capacity" to stay engaged for the first three years of your Naval career will determine whether or not you MAY be cut out for the job. So when you say "I don't think I can deal with all that training," and "I wanna be an Aircrewman but just don't feel like going through all that extensive training...," red flags go up all over the place-it doesn't matter the job you are referring to. Even if you decide to just enlist in the Navy in a non-special program rate, you will be training constantly throughout your career.

On another subject, let me ask you a question. Did you walk into the fire department off the street and start calling the veterans "brother" and using terms like, "I don't mean to sound like an a-hole but xyz?" I doubt it. Everyone chiming in to answer your questions has "been there, done that" and are trying to get you on the right page in your decision making process. When someone who is likely a prior Rescue Swimmer and/or current Naval Officer tells you rescue swimmers are not SPECWAR, they may know what they are talking about (even more than the RECRUITING website you referenced). Humility, even in the face of harsh correction, will serve you well.

Finally, I want you to know that you are likely selling yourself short. At 22, you are not old. When placed in a precarious situation, we are often able to accomplish things we never thought possible. Rescue swimmer school does not look for reasons to kick people out. Conversely, the instructor's job is to bring out people's strengths mentally and physically. They don't hold your hand, but the course progresses at a pace reasonably obtainable by the majority of candidates. The Navy has billets that need to be filled; effective training programs keep our special programs communities manned. The choice is yours; either man up and join an exclusive community with an "all in" mindset, or regret not trying (in 10-15 years).

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I really don't think you're understanding day to day life in the military. It's 90% mental, especially as an Aircrewman. Except during the beach volleyball portion of the day. Dog tags: optional.

If there's any risk to anything in life, it's definitely not worth trying. Yay, Millennials. (awaiting Nittany's wrath)
Don't forget harmonizing with your wingman during happy hour @ the club.

exNavyOffRec

As a "current" AWF Aircrew "man," I'd like to address a couple concerns with your thoughts on being a Naval Aircrewman. You state you don't think you "have the mental capacity" to complete Rescue Swimmer school. Perhaps you are not familiar with the training pipeline for a "dry" Aircrewman. All Aircrew start out their training at Naval Aircrewman Candidate School, which is about five weeks. At this school, you will be required to be able to swim a mile in a flight suit and boots in addition to other water survival tests. The school is centered around physical fitness-both in and out of the water. IF you finish this school, you are NOT a Naval Aircrewman. You will have to complete an academically centered "A" school depending on your rate, AWF, AWO, AWS, etc (2-6 months). IF you finish this school, you will receive orders to a Fleet Replacement Squadron for the aircraft you are assigned to. This training will be 6-12 months depending on the platform consisting of a combination of classroom instruction and flight/sim events. IF you complete this training, you will generally receive orders to SERE school in route to your first operational squadron; however, you will not yet be a designated Naval Aircrewman. You will have generally have from 12-18 months to fully qualify in your job at which point you will finally be designated a Naval Aircrewman (after you complete the PQS for the warfare device). That being said, having the "mental capacity" to stay engaged for the first three years of your Naval career will determine whether or not you MAY be cut out for the job. So when you say "I don't think I can deal with all that training," and "I wanna be an Aircrewman but just don't feel like going through all that extensive training...," red flags go up all over the place-it doesn't matter the job you are referring to. Even if you decide to just enlist in the Navy in a non-special program rate, you will be training constantly throughout your career.

On another subject, let me ask you a question. Did you walk into the fire department off the street and start calling the veterans "brother" and using terms like, "I don't mean to sound like an a-hole but xyz?" I doubt it. Everyone chiming in to answer your questions has "been there, done that" and are trying to get you on the right page in your decision making process. When someone who is likely a prior Rescue Swimmer and/or current Naval Officer tells you rescue swimmers are not SPECWAR, they may know what they are talking about (even more than the RECRUITING website you referenced). Humility, even in the face of harsh correction, will serve you well.

Finally, I want you to know that you are likely selling yourself short. At 22, you are not old. When placed in a precarious situation, we are often able to accomplish things we never thought possible. Rescue swimmer school does not look for reasons to kick people out. Conversely, the instructor's job is to bring out people's strengths mentally and physically. They don't hold your hand, but the course progresses at a pace reasonably obtainable by the majority of candidates. The Navy has billets that need to be filled; effective training programs keep our special programs communities manned. The choice is yours; either man up and join an exclusive community with an "all in" mindset, or regret not trying (in 10-15 years).

To be fair to the OP, NRC lumps many rates in the Spec Warfare/Spec Operations group, and rescue swimmer is one of those.