• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN What is the difference between a Naval Aircrewman and Spec Ops AIRR?

italianlifter

Absolutely get a degree... When you get it makes no matter. If you get it before, you can go straight to being an officer... No enlisted bullshit. If you get it during, you can use Tuition assistance, looks good as f**k for your promotions, and you can bank your GI bill, but can be difficult.

The better question to ask is what are you capable of doing? Can you do school while having a 6AM to 6PM job? Deployments? Etc?... I always recommend to do school before joining... Focus only on school. Learn everything you can. Live in the library and your professors offices. If you do it on active duty you could potentially get swamped, unfocused, and blame the military for your failure. Also doing it before joining lets you mature. You get caught underage drinking on AD... You get an NJP... You get an NJP... good luck reenlisting and good luck commissioning(i think?).

Get a degree... find the time. Also... Saying you don't have the money is bullshit. If you're single with no kids, then you're not broke. I used federal loans and grants for my degree... No I'm not starving in debt, and after 10 years cumulative service in the military, they'll be completely forgiven and done with.

Also... Go to a reputable public university with a strong alumi program if possible... These schools have an awesome tradition that will suck you in and you will meet people that could potentially help you out one day. Also... College Football is life.

Gig 'Em;)
Igloo

Thank you sir for replying back to me and giving me good sound advice even though it may not be what I want to hear, its the truth. I agree with you that doing the schooling before entering would be the better option but since I'm 22 I do not want to have to wait till I'm 26 to finally enter the military. I believe I would be better off at least joining and going to school while in the military or if I am overlooking please let me know.

My question for you is would it be wiser of me to join the reserves and stay at my fire department or just leave the fire department and join fulltime/enlisted? I'm trying to weigh in all my options before signing that contract. Tomorrow morning I am heading to MEPS to take my ASVAb and get all my physicals done with.

Hope to hear back and thanks again for the advice sir.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm trying to weigh in all my options before signing that contract. Tomorrow morning I am heading to MEPS to take my ASVAb and get all my physicals done with.

One step at a time. First, find out what your aptitude is, then go from there.

I agree with you that doing the schooling before entering would be the better option but since I'm 22 I do not want to have to wait till I'm 26 to finally enter the military. I believe I would be better off at least joining and going to school while in the military or if I am overlooking please let me know.

You're asking him for his opinion on what to do, but you don't even know what you're planning to do in the military. Again, see what the ASVAB says, and go from there. No one expects you to sign a contract right after you take the test (except maybe the recruiter).

Igloojam

pilot
Thank you sir for replying back to me and giving me good sound advice even though it may not be what I want to hear, its the truth. I agree with you that doing the schooling before entering would be the better option but since I'm 22 I do not want to have to wait till I'm 26 to finally enter the military. I believe I would be better off at least joining and going to school while in the military or if I am overlooking please let me know.

My question for you is would it be wiser of me to join the reserves and stay at my fire department or just leave the fire department and join fulltime/enlisted? I'm trying to weigh in all my options before signing that contract. Tomorrow morning I am heading to MEPS to take my ASVAb and get all my physicals done with.

Hope to hear back and thanks again for the advice sir.

Go for it dude. Again though let me give you some insight.

1) Do not get caught up with the E-3 "underground". Most enlisted members ranks E-1 to E-3 are between the ages of 18-20. You're 22. Don't be stupid like an 18-20 year old. Don't buy them alcohol and don't litter yourself with tattoos. I know guys who think its cool to be an E-3. No it's not. It sucks and you have no responsibility. You'll find in life the amount responsibility you have is positive correlated with the amount of money you make. Go for the promotions.
2) SAVE YOUR MONEY, 10-20% of every paycheck. Utilize the TSP. Go buy a book on personal finance. DO NOT BUY NEW CARS/MOTORCYCLES. DO NOT BUY TATTOOS. I know young marines who blew their entire 1700 a month pay check on tattoos. Stupidest shit ever.
3) Do not get married in your first 4 years. If its your hometown sweetheart 8 times out 10 y'all weren't meant to be together. Seen too much of this shit. Stay single, wrap your member, and if she doesn't have goals in life (ie. getting bachelors) then that's unsat.

I see in your profile, "That others may live" is your life motto... If that is truly the case... Get your ass to the Air Force Recruiter and go to "man school" to become a PJ. That is an experience.

The reserves are a great opportunity. You can continue to be a firefighter, go to school, and still gain an awesome military experience. However there are some disadvantages. Being a reservist can make you feel like your missing out or inadequate compared to AD guys. Also, you don't get anywhere near the school benefits as a 4 year AD guy (unless you deploy). Don't let the recruiter fool you on this. Also.. A lot of guys who join the reserves go home and keep up doing the same lousy shit they were doing before they left. By "lousy", I mean doing stuff that doesn't move you "forward". Things like drinking/drugs, hanging around bad crowds, etc.

Also... @Gatordev makes a good point... This is all my opinion. From here on out remember that. Don't think another person has the answers to life. I can only give you my opinion based on my experiences and those of individuals close to me. You know yourself the best. If not, then you need to sit down and ask yourself truly what your goals are. Whatever they may be though, have a good attitude.

Remember though... No can take away your education or experience... Therefore build value there.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

3) Do not get married in your first 4 years. If its your hometown sweetheart 8 times out 10 y'all weren't meant to be together. Seen too much of this shit. Stay single, wrap your member, and if she doesn't have goals in life (ie. getting bachelors) then that's unsat.

you could have just said "don't get married because foreign chicks can be fun!" :D