• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN What is the difference between a Naval Aircrewman and Spec Ops AIRR?

italianlifter

The Air Force PJ route might be worth a look if you're not dead set on the Navy. Your assessment of being in great shape for your age will be challenged, though.

No I'm dead set on the Navy, I just wanna make sure I am qualified to be able to perform such a job prior to enlisting and kinda wasting my time if that makes sense. Not sure if I worded that right. Air Force PJ are straight up badass. Love what they do but can't stand doing that medical side. I do it enough here at the fire department to know how much I do not wanna deal with it in the military setting but don't get me wrong, I respect the hell out of PJ and what they do.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No I'm dead set on the Navy, I just wanna make sure I am qualified to be able to perform such a job prior to enlisting and kinda wasting my time if that makes sense. Not sure if I worded that right. Air Force PJ are straight up badass. Love what they do but can't stand doing that medical side. I do it enough here at the fire department to know how much I do not wanna deal with it in the military setting but don't get me wrong, I respect the hell out of PJ and what they do.

OK, just understand what everyone else has been saying. You could get through RSS and end up at an HSM squadron. That means you're performing anti submarine and anti surface warfare missions in addition to rescue swimmer stuff. Not to mention when you're NOT flying you're going to have other ground duties in the squadron. Some of them might be related to flying, some of them might not. I'm sure every one of us on this board would love to focus on the flying 100% of the time, but that's not the reality of the Navy.

italianlifter

OK, just understand what everyone else has been saying. You could get through RSS and end up at an HSM squadron. That means you're performing anti submarine and anti surface warfare missions in addition to rescue swimmer stuff. Not to mention when you're NOT flying you're going to have other ground duties in the squadron. Some of them might be related to flying, some of them might not. I'm sure every one of us on this board would love to focus on the flying 100% of the time, but that's not the reality of the Navy.

What do ground duties consist of so I'm not blind sided if you don't mind me asking. My goal is to become a Naval Aircrewman AWS. Don't really wanna be a rescue swimmer, just wanna stop at AWS.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
AWS and AWR are the two rates where you have to be a rescue swimmer (except the very few H-53 crewman). If you don't want to be SAR, then look into AWF or AWO. Those crewman perform duties on aircraft such as the P-3, P-8, and C-2.

As far as ground jobs, you have to maintain your flight records, various duties in operations and tactics planning and training, as well as various adminstative duties required if you are in a leadership postition.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If swimming endurance is your weak spot, you need to start swimming. And not just chilling in the pool, but swimming laps, preferably with fins and a snorkel. Also expect to be able to go swim some set (and relatively long) distance in full survival gear after you've run 3-ish miles at a 8-ish minute/mile pace.

Areas where guys have issues include:

- Mask clearing
- Generally swimming with fins and a snorkel
- 800m buddy tow with full gear after doing a level 2 workout

You get the idea.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What do ground duties consist of so I'm not blind sided if you don't mind me asking. My goal is to become a Naval Aircrewman AWS. Don't really wanna be a rescue swimmer, just wanna stop at AWS.

As wlar mentioned, an AWS (and AWR) require you to be a Rescue Swimmer. You get your own fancy occupation code (called a NEC) that says you're both. Without one, you can't be the other.

italianlifter

Appreciate everyone replying back to me and giving me a lot of information that educated me. I did come to the conclusion not to long ago after doing my 500 yard swim in 11:22 that I truly do not wanna be a Rescue Swimmer even though I love what the job entitles if that makes sense. I'm not sure if I'm getting old or what but I just don't seem to have that motivation anymore like I used to when I was 18-20 years of age. I wanna be an Aircrewman but just don't feel like going through all that extensive training (I know pathetic). If I was 18 then I would of definitely gave it a shot but doing it now doesn't seem like the right choice cause I don't believe I can give it my all. I love fitness and I love being in shape but I just don't think I have the mental capacity to deal with all the training. Now my dream would to be doing something in special operations like maybe TACP but I just don't think I can deal with all that training is all. My goal was to do 20 years in spec ops and have a real good retirement plan and then get out and then move to florida to become a cop and maybe join a SWAT team but I guess not everything goes to plan. Just have to find the right route I need to take in my life is all cause I definitely don't wanna be stuck at this fire department for any longer. Anyways appreciate everyones responses

Fins Out

If you don't think you can handle the training in a controlled environment what makes you think you can handle the job in a combat situation? I'm not sure what answers you're hoping to get from this thread since the general theme I'm getting is you just want to be placed in a high speed job without having to do what's required to get there. In the words of the great philosopher Ronnie Coleman "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights."

italianlifter

If you don't think you can handle the training in a controlled environment what makes you think you can handle the job in a combat situation? I'm not sure what answers you're hoping to get from this thread since the general theme I'm getting is you just want to be placed in a high speed job without having to do what's required to get there. In the words of the great philosopher Ronnie Coleman "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights."

One last question, firstly its not that I can't stay calm in a controlled environment but its more along the lines of trying to figure out what I specifically want to do. I don't want to be a rescue swimmer but I do want to be apart of the Naval Aircrewman if that is possible and that is what leads me to my question. How can I be apart of the Naval Aircrewman program without having to be a rescue swimmer cause my main goal is to become a Naval Aircrewman, attend jump school and get my ranger tab if that is all possible. Firstly is this possible and what can I do in the Naval Aircrewman program that does not require the rescue swimmer but also goes on "special" missions. I apologize in advance if this a dumb question but I'm just trying to get all my facts from you guys before signing up cause I'm taking my ASVAB in 4 days. Thanks everyone