• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is (in your opinion) the BEST fighter plane that has EVER served in the Navy / Marine Corps?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, it's called the F/A-18A-D. 27 and 30 years for the Phantom in USN/USMC service respectively. We are now at 29 years and counting for the Hornet in USN service.....same year of "birth" as me :) USMC will have been flying Hornets for as long as they flew Phantoms next year. That's including the service the Phantoms gave purely in reserve squadrons, so operationally, their service life has already been exceeded by the legacy Hornet.

Overall service, obviously the Phantom still wins since the AF still uses them as drones, but since you specified USN/USMC
The SH-60B entered operational service in 1984 giving the 60 28yrs of service to the Navy. If the 60R/S stick around as long as the 60B, then the airframe will have been in service for almost 60yrs.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
My rebuttal

wcorsairs_flyby.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"....known and feared throughout the world.....Marine.

To all squids and rust-pickers!!!!"

-excerpt from The Great Santini
Hey, that Great Santini character was a Fox-Four-Phantom driver, just like this old 'Squid' was.

[And please in the future, always capitalize, "Squid."] Also I never picked nutt'n.... rust, nose, butt, nutt'n. I was better. :cool:

BTW, did that Santini dude ever bag a trap? I forget. :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, that Great Santini character was a Fox-Four-Phantom driver, just like this old 'Squid' was.

Hey Cat, hows come Santini was flying a 'Sader in the movie (or in the book, can't 'member which)?:confused:
BzB

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The F-4 was one of the greater "unrealized potential" a/c in Naval Air history, IMHO. True, it was designed as an interceptor and became a good ACM a/c (if flown properly) and a good day air-to-mud platform. The shame is that the Navy (unlike the USAF w/ the F-4E) never put a multi-mode radar in its Phantoms so that they could become serious strike-fighters before we even used the term. Able to carry 12,000lbs of bombs, a supersonic, all-weather, air-to-air & air-to-mud Phantom would have been a wonderful return on our investment in this a/c. At the time, we were still stuck in the "fighter" & "attack" communities mindset, one that we could no longer afford by the 90's. FWIW.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
............ The shame is that the Navy (unlike the USAF w/ the F-4E) never put a multi-mode radar in its Phantoms so that they could become serious strike-fighters before we even used the term. ...........
Or a gun . . . not only for Air-to-Air, but also CAS, CSAR, Flak-suppression, and general shoot 'em up stuff!

A waste of a superb weapons platform!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The F-4 was one of the greater "unrealized potential" a/c in Naval Air history, IMHO. True, it was designed as an interceptor and became a good ACM a/c (if flown properly) and a good day air-to-mud platform. The shame is that the Navy (unlike the USAF w/ the F-4E) never put a multi-mode radar in its Phantoms so that they could become serious strike-fighters before we even used the term. Able to carry 12,000lbs of bombs, a supersonic, all-weather, air-to-air & air-to-mud Phantom would have been a wonderful return on our investment in this a/c. At the time, we were still stuck in the "fighter" & "attack" communities mindset, one that we could no longer afford by the 90's. FWIW.

Just a curiosity question...but...did the F-4 have the smack to go supersonic carrying the full air to mud load?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a curiosity question...but...did the F-4 have the smack to go supersonic carrying the full air to mud load?
Never did it, but I am pretty sure it could.
Would have burned a shitload of gas though, and probably flame out before reaching the target.

If we weren't speed limited by being part of an Alpha Strike, we ingressed about 500KIAS with 6 MK-82s, 4 'winders, and 2 Sparrows.... and egressed as fast we could go, and as low as we could go if in heavily defended areas.