• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is (in your opinion) the BEST fighter plane that has EVER served in the Navy / Marine Corps?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We could always grab a grease pencil and draw one on the windscreen. :D
I did use a grease pen on the canopy early on for bombing, until I later got the hang of it.

I put lots of bullet holes in the banner in the T-2 and F-9. The external gun pod on the F-4 always jammed, so no holes. And with all that 'advanced' computerized gunsight and HUD in the F-14, I got skunked! Zip, squat, didley! Progress?

OK. Sorry for fueling the thread jack. My overall favorite? The F4U. Never flew it. But once had an offer. Couldn't because it was down for maint. Just as well. I was a jet pilot, not used to torque or tail draggers... or mixture, whatever that was. I woulda crashed a rich man's pride and joy. Whew! :eek:

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, it's called the F/A-18A-D. 27 and 30 years for the Phantom in USN/USMC service respectively. We are now at 29 years and counting for the Hornet in USN service.....same year of "birth" as me :) USMC will have been flying Hornets for as long as they flew Phantoms next year. That's including the service the Phantoms gave purely in reserve squadrons, so operationally, their service life has already been exceeded by the legacy Hornet.

Overall service, obviously the Phantom still wins since the AF still uses them as drones, but since you specified USN/USMC
Does the Navy still use F-4 drones? Just curious, I do not know and it wouldn't count for operational.

Apparently from the news, Turkey still flies the venerable Phantom... or one less thanks to an act of war by Syria.

Of course the F-4 has downed far more Migs, blown up far more enemy installations, provided far more CAS for our troops, etc. etc. than any F&A-18. Of course the Hornet has not had the same opportunity, and hopefully they never will. But they stand ready... an awesome platform!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
36 years for the F-15 btw...if we're talking all service.

So I'm guessing the B-52 is the all-service, all-aircraft winner with a 1954 introduction date and 1952 first flight.

That is, unless anyone has any other ideas?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Does the Navy still use F-4 drones? Just curious, I do not know and it wouldn't count for operational.

Apparently from the news, Turkey still flies the venerable Phantom... or one less thanks to an act of war by Syria.

Of course the F-4 has downed far more Migs, blown up far more enemy installations, provided far more CAS for our troops, etc. etc. than any F&A-18. Of course the Hornet has not had the same opportunity, and hopefully they never will. But they stand ready... an awesome platform!

No I'm pretty sure Navy F-4 drone usage stopped sometime around 10-15 years ago, though I could be wrong. Agreed on the above counts, though Hornets have done a lot of CAS in the last 11 years, +ODS, so that figure could be more comparable. Also, the Phantom was more of a pure fighter IMHO than the Hornet is, regardless of MIG kill count (which certainly is in the Phantom's favor). I'm sure I feel the same way about it that you do about the F-4.........it's the jet I will forever equate my JO/nugget/young life with.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So I'm guessing the B-52 is the all-service, all-aircraft winner with a 1954 introduction date and 1952 first flight.

Sounds about right......close competitors probably being the C-130 and the T-38, and of course the Phrog :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

One of my favorite aircraft stats...The LAST B-52 to roll off the assembly line did so in FY 63. Damn. Seems like Boeing got that one right.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No I'm pretty sure Navy F-4 drone usage stopped sometime around 10-15 years ago, though I could be wrong. Agreed on the above counts, though Hornets have done a lot of CAS in the last 11 years, +ODS, so that figure could be more comparable. Also, the Phantom was more of a pure fighter IMHO than the Hornet is, regardless of MIG kill count (which certainly is in the Phantom's favor). I'm sure I feel the same way about it that you do about the F-4.........it's the jet I will forever equate my JO/nugget/young life with.

Thanks. Interesting. I know the AF used F-4 drones much later. Do they still?

I have to ask: Thank you, but was your comment about the Phantom being more of a "pure fighter" than the Hornet a typo, or serious? Regardless, thank you.

(My fellow Phantom fighter pilot brethren - please forgive me, but...) The F-4 was designed as an "interceptor." It took some massive work to get pilots to learn how to fight it. It only became a great fighter, not because of what it was, but because it's pilots were eventually better trained and learned how to use the F-4's unique advantages. For me, (and I have flown – and actually did ACM – the F-18 for a total of 1.0 hours) the F-18 and even more, the F-16 was far closer to being a true, pure fighter. (I don't know enough about the F-22 to comment.)

+ODS is unfamiliar to me. I probably did it, but what is that?

Also, has the F-18 ever sustained battle damage? And how did it survive compared to the old Vietnam aircraft that took many hits and still RTBd?

You are right, I think. The first real aircraft that takes you to the dance will likely always be your favorite.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds about right......close competitors probably being the C-130 and the T-38, and of course the Phrog :)

The -46 was a full 10 years later. And we thought it was old.

The C-130 first flew in '54, but all the ones flying today were built long after. It is the longest continuously produced aircraft, though.

The T-38 was first delivered in '61. Old, but not like the BUFF.

Thanks, Wikipedia!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thanks. Interesting. I know the AF used F-4 drones much later. Do they still?

Yes, at least for a little while longer until the F-16 picks up the duty

I have to ask: Thank you, but was your comment about the Phantom being more of a "pure fighter" than the Hornet a typo, or serious? Regardless, thank you.

(My fellow Phantom fighter pilot brethren - please forgive me, but...) The F-4 was designed as an "interceptor." It took some massive work to get pilots to learn how to fight it. It only became a great fighter, not because of what it was, but because it's pilots were eventually better trained and learned how to use the F-4's unique advantages. For me, (and I have flown – and actually did ACM – the F-18 for a total of 1.0 hours) the F-18 and even more, the F-16 was far closer to being a true, pure fighter. (I don't know enough about the F-22 to comment.)

I probably mis-spoke a little bit. Fleet defense fighter/interceptor, like the Tomcat became later. For it's day and age, I'd guess it was about the most lethal thing out there. Hornet is good at that stuff, but after seeing Eagles and Raptors do their thing, I wouldn't lump us into that category. That said, the Hornet is a good BFM jet. But like like the F/A designation, our aircraft were designed with a significant A/G emphasis. I know the Phantom took on that role later on, but it rolled off the assembly line to go kill Soviet bombers.

+ODS is unfamiliar to me. I probably did it, but what is that?

Operation Desert Storm

Also, has the F-18 ever sustained battle damage? And how did it survive compared to the old Vietnam aircraft that took many hits and still RTBd?

I know we got the data point that our motors can run for 30 mins without oil due to a Hornet taking an SA-7 (or similar) up the tailpipe during the Gulf War. Not combat damage, but there have also been some pretty bad mid-airs that have concluded with successful arrested landings, minus wingtips, parts of stabs, radome, etc. I was around when one literally bounced off the ground, sustaining really really heavy damage, and managed to limp away to take a trap shortly thereafter.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Zip, squat, didley!

I resent (resemble) that remark!!! How did you know how I got my callsign?

My 2 cents worth in this discussion: my preference card at winging time had F-4's east, followed by F-4's west, followed by RA-5's (just because I thought it looked fast and cool). My best friend got the only F-4 seat that week, and I got A-7's. At the time I was devastated. As it turned out, I had a blast. Great all-around mission, and no offense to the double anchor guys, but I was by myself. Then after my training command tour in A-4's, I was fortunate to be able to spend my last 10 years flying adversary in the A-4 as a TAR. So, I'm preferential to the A-4, even though it's not considered a "fighter". But my vote for the all-time, coolest, meanest-looking jet is the F-4.

How about a vote for the Vigi-drivers having the biggest brass balls for landing that thing on the boat at night and when getting taxied up forward, having to look back over their shoulder while sitting out over the water, past the deck edge, following the yellow-shirt's directions! Yee-haw.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The -46 was a full 10 years later. And we thought it was old.

The C-130 first flew in '54, but all the ones flying today were built long after. It is the longest continuously produced aircraft, though.

The T-38 was first delivered in '61. Old, but not like the BUFF.

Thanks, Wikipedia!

The T-34 in one generation or another has been around since the '50s right?

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Yep - my Grandfather instructed in them in the early 50's in the USAF. For that matter I flew my recruiting ride in a "B" in 1986

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

When I started API in Oct. '56, they were still flyimg the SNJ in basic. By the time I got to fly in basic (March '57), at Saufley, our class was one of the first to fly the 'new' T-34A from F-1 to F-13 solo. I'm not sure when they phased out the T-34B?

I do remember, they later tried a primary jet trainer called the TT-1 'Pinto', but it didn't last too long!:D
Corry T-34.jpg
*NAVCAD BzB at Saufley Field - 1957
BzB

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yep, my old man flew the SNJ and T-34A, followed by the T-28 and S-2 during flight school back in the mid-late 1950's.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
When I started API in Oct. '56, they were still flyimg the SNJ in basic. By the time I got to fly in basic (March '57), at Saufley, our class was one of the first to fly the 'new' T-34A from F-1 to F-13 solo. I'm not sure when they phased out the T-34B?

I do remember, they later tried a primary jet trainer called the TT-1 'Pinto', but it didn't last too long!:D
View attachment 11036
*NAVCAD BzB at Saufley Field - 1957
BzB

I have a similar picture of myself and the T-34C.

As A4s would say, "The more things change..."