• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is (in your opinion) the BEST fighter plane that has EVER served in the Navy / Marine Corps?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Slightly unrelated, but can any of the former F-14 drivers speak to how the Tomcat was in the ACM arena, particularly slow speed/high alpha?

Renegade One

None
http://military.discovery.com/technology/vehicles/fighters/fighters-intro.html
10. F-22
9. Sea Harrier
8. Sopwith Camel
7. ME-262
6. Spitfire
4. (Tie) F-86 & MiG-15
3. F-4 Phantom
2. F-15 Eagle
1. P-51

The site says it used a 5 point grading matrix to determine rankings. From the show I remember Length of Service, Fear Factor, Number of Air Victories and Costs all be factors. Can't remember number 5.
So...'t'would seem that the "Top 10" comparisons were done in two different shows? I think I agree with your version better, to be honest.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
http://military.discovery.com/technology/vehicles/fighters/fighters-intro.html

4. (Tie) F-86 & MiG-15

The site says it used a 5 point grading matrix to determine rankings. From the show I remember Length of Service, Fear Factor, Number of Air Victories and Costs all be factors. Can't remember number 5.

Can't say I agree with this decision since the F-86 racked up nearly a 10:1 kill ratio...

If I had to pick one...using the "fighter" moniker...it would be the Corsair....btw...not claiming it was necessarily best, just the one that "talks" to me most.

BigRed389

None
Can't say I agree with this decision since the F-86 racked up nearly a 10:1 kill ratio...

If I had to pick one...using the "fighter" moniker...it would be the Corsair....btw...not claiming it was necessarily best, just the one that "talks" to me most.

That number's been revised down, more recent estimates using post Cold War study ballparks more like 2:1 in the Sabre's favor.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Does it ever tell you to harm yourself or another? Do you talk back? :)

Only at night. :D

Big Red...Yes, it was revised down, and I probably shouldn't have thrown out 10:1...I've never heard a whisper of a number as low as 2:1...5 or 6 to 1? Yes...I'd be curious to see your sources.

None of which really matters in my original point. It still killed the other aircraft it "tied" with at least twice per loss...Not sure how that's a tie.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It still killed the other aircraft it "tied" with at least twice per loss...Not sure how that's a tie.

The 'rater' most probably assumed that the F-86 driver fought his Sabre with more skill than his MIG-15 NK/PRC/USSR(?) opponent, which was the tiebreaker.;)
BzB

BigRed389

None
The 'rater' most probably assumed that the F-86 driver fought his Sabre with more skill than his MIG-15 NK/PRC/USSR(?) opponent, which was the tiebreaker.;)
BzB
Yup, and I'm just going off memory here, but I'm recalling it was both Boyd and Yeager who claimed the MiG actually was superior in many raw performance aspects, while the Sabre was more pilot-friendly (a usable lead computing gunsight, bubble canopy) making it more lethal.Neither contested the numbers, just effectively attributed the ratio to higher proficiency on our side.

Wiki's article is actually decently written with citations. Apparently a 2008 RAND study even claims as low as 1.2:1 ratio.

The ROCAF vs PLAAF fight is interesting as well in that the Taiwanese wiped the floor with the Red Chinese using their Sidewinders.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Slightly unrelated, but can any of the former F-14 drivers speak to how the Tomcat was in the ACM arena, particularly slow speed/high alpha?

No personal experience, but I have heard from several folks who did fly it that it didn't have much game in BFM, at least by cat 4 standards. Whatever though, it's still one of the baddest jets to ever fly off a carrier....it's not like the Hornet/SH is a BFM machine against a properly flown Viper/Eagle/Raptor/etc. Maybe with pylons slicked off and EPE motors, but we sacrifice a lot in order to not break in half landing on the boat.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, and I'm just going off memory here, but I'm recalling it was both Boyd and Yeager who claimed the MiG actually was superior in many raw performance aspects, while the Sabre was more pilot-friendly (a usable lead computing gunsight, bubble canopy) making it more lethal.Neither contested the numbers, just effectively attributed the ratio to higher proficiency on our side.

I have a special affection for the Navy version of the F-86, the FJ-4 Fury. I was lucky enough to bag 100+ hrs over a 6 mo. period as a nugget. Just after reporting to my 1st Squadron VF-94 (no FRS yet), it was redesignated VA-94 & slated to receive 12 new A4D-2s from the factory 6 months later. For 'something to do' & flight time, we received 12 -4 Furies, Totally clean, no tanks, racks or rails...totally slick! All we could do was fly fam, ACM, A/A intercepts, night fam & instruments. Fun times. We even got a 2-week deploymebt from Alameda to Fallon to play, gamble & fly ACM. (see photos).:D

The Fury -4 had J-65 (7,700# push) v F-86 J-47 (5,200#), improved design wing, & flight controls. What a pleasure to fly. It was nimble, sleek & handled like a dream. When we finally got the A4D-2s, all duded out with tanks & racks, as we started famming, we were at first disappointed as they were 'sluggish' (w/ the same J-65 as the Fury -4) We grew to appreciate then love the Scooter as we delved headlong into the Attack mission.:cool:
VA-94 FJ-4.jpgVA-94 FJ-4's At Fallon.jpg1958 Martini Flight Fallon.jpg
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a special affection for the Navy version of the F-86, the FJ-4 Fury. I was lucky enough to bag 100+ hrs over a 6 mo. period as a nugget. Just after reporting to my 1st Squadron VF-94 (no FRS yet), it was redesignated VA-94 & slated to receive 12 new A4D-2s from the factory 6 months later. For 'something to do' & flight time, we received 12 -4 Furies, Totally clean, no tanks, racks or rails...totally slick! All we could do was fly fam, ACM, A/A intercepts, night fam & instruments. Fun times. We even got a 2-week deploymebt from Alameda to Fallon to play, gamble & fly ACM. (see photos).:D

The Fury -4 had J-65 (7,700# push) v F-86 J-47 (5,200#), improved design wing, & flight controls. What a pleasure to fly. It was nimble, sleek & handled like a dream. When we finally got the A4D-2s, all duded out with tanks & racks, as we started famming, we were at first disappointed as they were 'sluggish' (w/ the same J-65 as the Fury -4) We grew to appreciate then love the Scooter as we delved headlong into the Attack mission.:cool:
View attachment 11020View attachment 11021View attachment 11022
BzB
Well you lucky bastard! Damn, I loved the FJ! But it wasn't around long, and a bit before my time. I still would love to jump into one. What a classic fighter!

Concur on the Scooter. Had great time flying it, both single and dual seat and differing engines, but never with any green ink like you. What a workhorse, and a pure joy to fly! She was one of a kind. Although yes, those earlier J-65s were indeed, "slugish."