• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is (in your opinion) the BEST fighter plane that has EVER served in the Navy / Marine Corps?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
P.S.: Seriously...anyone know WTF a "petard" is?!?

It's French for firecracker.

From wiki: "...from the Middle French peter, to break wind"

And just like that, the thread has turned to poopy humor! :D

As for the original question, I'm gonna side with BzB and say F6F- a very good airplane to fly, fight, and fix. Then we built tons of them and our guys used them to dominate the Pacific.

BUDU

From wiki: "...from the Middle French peter, to break wind"

And just like that, the thread has turned to poopy humor! :D

If I recall correctly, it was used as an early breaching explosive. Very risky, and those who rigged the explosives were often killed by them--hoisted by their own petard.

The things I learned from Age of Empires as a kid...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now, for best US Naval aircraft ever, I would have to argue that the following best supported the mission of the aircraft carrier as defined by the US Navy (22 x Mk82 and 18k of gas, yeah baby):

a6cat2.jpg

Being a career 'Kiddy Kart' driver, I never flew the 'truder; however, having accompanied it on combat strikes quite often back in the middle ages ...I totally agree with your statement. My fave movies: Tie 'twixt Flight of the Intruder & The Bridges at Toko-Ri!:cool:
BzB

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How much more can we collectively tollerate? Maybe I should start a best beer in the world thread (just for fun).

Pugs

Back from the range
None
How much more can we collectively tollerate? Maybe I should start a best beer in the world thread (just for fun).

Had a bottle of this yesterday - http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest.html The boys and girls of Sierra Nevada consistently turn out a great product.

Question at hand requires multiple categories of answer

· Naval Air plane that had the most influence on history? - SBD - Was instrumental in putting Japanese iron on the bottom and turning the tide in the Pacific.

· Plane that likely had the biggest affect? The PBY - delivered more intel and scouting than anything else from minimal places and helped the decision makers get the info they needed. May have to say the P-3 as the logical follow on.

· Plane that the Navy got the best dollars/service life and mission out of? Gotta be the A-4. 49 years of service in a huge variety of roles. Certainly the plane most of us recall as the best ride in flight school.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Plane that the Navy got the best dollars/service life and mission out of? Gotta be the A-4. 49 years of service in a huge variety of roles. Certainly the plane most of us recall as the best ride in flight school.

Not to disparage the venerable A-4 (and bring the wrath of BZB upon myself), but from the rotary wing side of the house, it's a pretty clear winner for the dollar/service life race.
I'd give the edge to the the H-3 Sea King over the NAVY CH-46 since it had a 45 year career and had the warfare missions of ASW and CSAR in addtion to Pax/Mail/Cargo that the H-46 did
SH3H_HS15_CVW15_1995.JPEG

I realize the Marines may take a different view since the H-46 was more instrumental to the Marine Corps' mission than the H-46 was to the Navy's mission.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to disparage the venerable A-4 (and bring the wrath of BZB upon myself), but from the rotary wing side of the house, it's a pretty clear winner for the dollar/service life race.
I'd give the edge to the the H-3 Sea King.

Lumpy, how could I shower wrath upon you after extolling the life-saving virtues of the ol' Sea King on another thread? The ghost of Fetch 53 would haunt me forevermore!:eek:
BzB

phrogpilot73

... since it had a 45 year career...

I realize the Marines may take a different view since the H-46 was more instrumental to the Marine Corps' mission than the H-46 was to the Navy's mission.
45 year career? That's it?!?

And you're right, I'll take a different view on the 46... First off, 48 year career (thusfar) - when finally retired it will be a 52 year career. Any assault support mission you want, she'll do.

ch46-fastrope.jpg