• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you do during the wait?

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
beach, beer, dodge cougars @ seville (or maybe not:icon_wink ), sober up, muster (keep khaki's + razor in car if necessary), dodge stash job, sleep

Repeat

There are actual ways to be productive, like OHARP, or stash jobs (not the crappy ones in P-Cola, actual stash jobs outside of NASP). You can stash anywhere that will take you, assuming you can work it out with API and the place you're going to stash. My recruiting district was very happy to have an extra officer lying around. We're useful to have around commands like recruiting that are very officer-light, I've been able to do enlistments and get some good info from people out here that will be of use to me once I finish training. Anyway, it's possible to do something useful with your time if you're like me and get bored sitting around P-Cola doing nothing. Anyway, just my two cents.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
There are actual ways to be productive, like OHARP, or stash jobs (not the crappy ones in P-Cola, actual stash jobs outside of NASP). You can stash anywhere that will take you, assuming you can work it out with API and the place you're going to stash. My recruiting district was very happy to have an extra officer lying around. We're useful to have around commands like recruiting that are very officer-light, I've been able to do enlistments and get some good info from people out here that will be of use to me once I finish training. Anyway, it's possible to do something useful with your time if you're like me and get bored sitting around P-Cola doing nothing. Anyway, just my two cents.

............or, you could drink beer and lounge. There will be plenty of time to be productive down the road. The idea is to take advantage of it when you have the opportunity.

Reactions: Tom

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Agree with bunk... spent 8 months in A-Pool. All I did was eat, drink, play frisbee and sleep. At some point, I mustered with stu-can as well.

Have fun in A-Pool. You'll be busy enough once you start your first systems/NATOPS class.

As far as OHARP, its a good deal. I did OHARP in C-Pool (waiting for primary at TW-6) so I could help my wife finalize out wedding plans. If you're gonna do OHARP, do it waiting for primary.

AppelCU

Oharp

I just found out about OHARP from my officer recruiter...He was telling me that I have a good chance of being able to come home and work out of the NRD in Denver for however many months I'm waiting between OCS commissioning and API. What's the actual truth to that and will I actually be able to do that?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If A-Pool student control can spare you and you clear it with them and the OPO, you should be good to go. Keep inmind you'll have to set everything up, and stu-con will tell you when and how long they can keep you out of A-Pool. There is also the chance that OHARP will delay your class-up date.
(Happened to me with my Primary class date... shifted it 2 weeks)

If it all goes through, you'll be cut a set of no cost orders... meaning all expenses related to the execution of the orders will be out of your pocket, non-reimbursable. You'll essentially be TDY to the recruiting command.

Hope it helps,
Bubba

MSkinsATC

pilot
Honestly, if you are really serious about going back and "Working" during your wait, sure check out OHARP, but I will say this, Pensacola can be one helluva fun town. Sleep, Drink your face off, Eat, Drink your face off, Sleep...repeat! Some of your best buddies will be the people you meet here in flight school and why not party with them as much as humanly possible, once you get started in the pipeline there will be no time for as much fun. Just my thoughts on A-pool, still wishing I had gone harder and more...haha!!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Appel,

Honetly, I'd take MSkins advice (as well as everyone else's) and just chill in A-Pool and dodge the stash jobs. Seems like you just finished OCS and all... chillax. Get some friends, go to Flounders, Florabama, Seville, and every other bar you can find... hit the beach (weather's good for it), burn a week of leave (if you have it) and take a road trip... do something other than anything "productive"... trust me... the Navy will get the time out of you later down the road...

In other words, enjoy A-Pool and HAVE FUN... no working allowed.

AppelCU

I understand the idea of chillin for however many months they give you between commissioning and API, but my issue is that I would really like to go back home for a little bit before flight school. Does anyone know how I would go about applying for OHARP? I read somewhere that you have to do it during your 4th week of OCS. If that is true, I would like to know, because i'm going to OCS in a couple weeks.

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
You don't have to start OHARP applications when your in OCS, in fact, at this point, you're not allowed to. You have to complete IFS and BOLTC before they will let you take OHARP duty. So, you have to check in to API and get all the stuff above complete before they will send your OHARP package up to the CO for approval. Aviation is different from all the other communities in that we can't get OHARP included in our orders that take us from OCS to your next training command, since we have to check in to API the same day we graduate from OCS. Also, the likelihood that you'll get OHARP approved varies greatly depending on whether you're a pilot of an NFO. NFO's are waiting so much longer right now that we have a good shot, whereas pilots have a much shorter wait, just enough time to get IFS and BOLTC approved, so they are unlikely to get it approved. As always this is just the current situation, everything changes on month to month basis in A-pool, so you're really going to have to wait until you get close to OCS graduation and find out what A-pool is like then.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Pretty much. Doesn't hurt to at least familiarize yourself with the API books, but don't go overboard.

Oh, and on the whole keeping khaki's in the car... they've done away with PT gear mustering. Saddest day of my life. :eek:

That explains all the Navy guys driving back home at 8am in khakis.

And here I was thinking they were pulling the overnight shift.;)