• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What can new SWO officers expect after completing OCS?

rrawls

I will be attending OCS March 28, 2010 and I was wondering if anyone could give me a clear explanation of what I will be doing once I graduate? With my own research I have not really been able to find a clear answer and maybe it is not so clear because it depends on the person and circumstance, but any sort of insight would be appreciated. I have heard different things, one of which I will report directly to a ship and not report to SWOS in Newport. Is that true? If so, why is that the case and Is there anything I could do now to prepare myself for that immediate transition into SWO life? Thanks!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You check onboard the ship, stay around for a couple of days or so, and then report back up to Newport to start up SWOS.

Depending on available slots, you might do this before heading to your ship. Saw it happen to a few folks in my class.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What can new SWO officers expect after completing OCS?
PAINNNNNNN

rocky6.jpg

I pity da foo

navy09

None
Don't worry too much about when you go to "baby SWOS." Even with 3 weeks of moboards and rules of the road, you'll still be totally clueless when you show up and are expected to run a division.

Be humble, ready to work, ready to learn, and never make the same mistake twice.

PM me with any specific questions.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't worry too much about when you go to "baby SWOS." Even with 3 weeks of moboards and rules of the road, you'll still be totally clueless when you show up and are expected to run a division.

Do we need a better example of why the SWO community is so screwed up? ;)

navy09

None
Do we need a better example of why the SWO community is so screwed up? ;)

How is a pilot LT who spends his first four years in the Navy in flight school, RAG, and then being Coffee Mess Officer going to be better off when he takes over his first division?

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things wrong with my community but lack of leadership experience isn't one of them.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
..and then being Coffee Mess Officer going to be better off when he takes over his first division?

This isn't correct. You have no idea what you are speaking of. SWOs may become DIVOs earlier in their careers, but there is always adult supervision. If you think leadership is solely based on running a ship's division, you are mistaken. There's a whole other side of the leadership coin when it comes to JO naval aviators being charged with remarkable responsilibity and leadership in executing their mission OTH. Young SWOs don't comprehend that.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How is a pilot LT who spends his first four years in the Navy in flight school, RAG, and then being Coffee Mess Officer going to be better off when he takes over his first division?

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things wrong with my community but lack of leadership experience isn't one of them.

Which part gave it away, the three weeks of school or the totally clueless part?

navy09

None
I see what you mean. "Leading" a division is probably a misnomer; doesn't change my original point.

BigIron, you're talking divo 'leadership' vs. real world mission leadership- there's clearly no comparison.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see what you mean. "Leading" a division is probably a misnomer; doesn't change my original point.

You show up with little training, are clueless and expected to lead a division off the bat. You don't see the problem?

Almost every military officer specialty I know has some sort of school to teach people the basics. Whether it be a Navy F/A-18 pilot, an Army armor officer or an Air Force intel officer there is a professional school for them where they learn the basics of their profession. SWO's are just thrown out into the fleet and expected to 'lead'? And don't make the same mistake twice? Eh? That has got to be the most bass ackwards way of doing business.......

Short

None
To prepare for life as a SWO do the following:

-Set your alarm clock to wake up at random intervals, allowing no more than 2 hours of continuous sleep. Look down on people who actually sleep through the night.
-Drive through an empty parking lot at 3 mph. Call your dad to advise him of any cars you happen to see within the next couple of miles.
-Go to the zoo to watch animals give birth to, then eat, their young. Picture self as newly born/consumed animal.
-Begin applying lube to rectum, filling out lateral transfer package.

Oh, and a JO aviator probably has the benefit of looking at how maintenance works and establishing his relationship with the Sailors and Chiefs in the squadron for a good long time before leading a division, which does help.

navy09

None
Still, my original point was the same one a sub dude made in a thread I was reading yesterday. He commented on how after his year and a half of nuke school he still didn't understand routine paperwork given to him by one of his guys.

All the operational training makes great pilots, reactor operators, and ship drivers but it doesn't teach you the 'other half' of your job.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still, my original point was the same one a sub dude made in a thread I was reading yesterday. He commented on how after his year and a half of nuke school he still didn't understand routine paperwork given to him by one of his guys.

All the operational training makes great pilots, reactor operators, and ship drivers but it doesn't teach you the 'other half' of your job.

No, it doesn't, but any idiot can learn the paperwork along with the rest of the 'other half' of your job. I find it very telling and indicative of SWO-dom that they place such a high priority on that but don't bother to try and at least train you on the basics of driving and fighting a ship before you report to one.