• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are you reading?

Pags

N/A
pilot
To go full nerd on the topic of Red Storm Rising, and more specifically, the topic of a strike against a CSG, I read some interesting articles that shed light on Cold War Soviet Naval Air Force tactics that have come about lately. See here:

https://www.usnwc.edu/getattachment...9e30a5597cd/Kamikazes--The-Soviet-Legacy.aspx

and

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2014/10/deception-and-backfire-bomber-finale_31.html

The cat and mouse is interesting to look back on.
I really enjoyed the USNWC article, thanks for sharing it. What a unique insider view on the Russian Naval Air Forces. I thought it was very interesting to see that the Russians analyzed Kamikaze attacks to exploit for their own doctrinal/operational/tactical development. I also liked that the author says that the Kamikaze threat and the OAB were essentially the same problem. I've made this same point myself at work but have enlarged it to include torpedo boats vs. BBs during the 1900s, the current FAC/FIAC threat, and the potential PRC D-21 threat. I also like the conclusion from ID: you need lots of ammo.

VMO4

Just finished "The Accidental Superpower" recommended on here, great read, and for those that think modern SWO life is bad, read, "Admiral Byng, his rise and execution,", about the last Royal Navy Oficer executed for incompetence, great read.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
From a humorous/satirical side, finished Catch 22 a few months ago. Great read.

On a heavier note, anyone looking to gain some insight on the tenuous balance of "peace" and war, I recommend "On the Origins of War: And the Preservation of Peace". Not light reading, but the author does a very good job at examining how, throughout history, men and nations-states have, in efforts to preserve the pax-status-quo, drive directly to war or armed conflict.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From a humorous/satirical side, finished Catch 22 a few months ago. Great read.

Really? It's been a few years, but I was severally disappointed in that book. Maybe I was expecting more "MASH" than what it had to give, but it was a struggle to get through. There was plenty of anti-war verbiage (not a bad thing), but it just seemed to be incredibly redundant/circular that it became painful to finish. My recollection was that the character "Major Major Major" was a summation of the book....boring and repetitive.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? It's been a few years, but I was severally disappointed in that book. Maybe I was expecting more "MASH" than what it had to give, but it was a struggle to get through. There was plenty of anti-war verbiage (not a bad thing), but it just seemed to be incredibly redundant/circular that it became painful to finish. My recollection was that the character "Major Major Major" was a summation of the book....boring and repetitive.
Written while Joseph Heller was a professor at Penn State . . . I guess he spent too much time at the Rathskeller. :D

It's like an episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus. No real narrative, just a string of sketches. Some of which are so flat-out bizarre they leave you scratching your head. Others leave you rolling on the floor and get quoted for years. Like the various and sundry adventures of Milo Minderbender, the chop from hell.

Or "Gimme eat."

Last edited:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Bought "The Martian" and ended up reading it in one sitting yesterday.
Great recommendation!
Pickle

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Gator,

Maybe I'd heard enough about the book (without spoilers) prior to reading, that I had an idea of what to expect. Just prior to starting the book, a friend of mine told me "Despite its status, don't expect a Shakespearean work of classical fiction. Take it at face value, there is no between the lines." Honestly, I think that's the biggest reason why I was able to enjoy the book. I was just expecting a funny, outlandish and at times bizarre, but simple and enjoyable read - which for me, it was. (I liken it to going into Pacific Rim expecting deep plot and well developed characters - you'll be disappointed)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was just expecting a funny, outlandish and at times bizarre, but simple and enjoyable read

Me too, but it just didn't hit me that way. Like I said, I was expecting more MASH-like (I'm talking the movie) observations of the absurd, but no luck for me.

I can't remember if I mentioned this previously, but a few months ago, I read "Lions of Kandahar" which was written by an A-Team leader about what became a pretty huge battle for a mound of dirt, all to protect the cities from being over-run by the various bad people. It was written a little more objectively than "Level Hero Zero" so you hear more about how they trained with the Afghans. It didn't hurt that their Afghan Commandos were pretty solid, as well.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Psh...I'm confident I've learned everything I'll ever need to learn about warfare and politics through the wise and wizened penmanship of George R.R. Martin.

ASoIaFFiveBooks.JPG

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks interesting. With Ridley Scott at the helm, ought to be pretty good.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well I just learned something. He's got good taste in bars.
I can verify he was on the faculty; he's got one of the little blue historical signs on campus outside Burrowes. Can't document his drinking habits; I was just referring to the utter lack of narrative.

Though if he was a former Skeller Rat, I can attest to his obvious refinement and good taste. :)

sickboy

pilot
I can verify he was on the faculty; he's got one of the little blue historical signs on campus outside Burrowes. Can't document his drinking habits; I was just referring to the utter lack of narrative.

Though if he was a former Skeller Rat, I can attest to his obvious refinement and good taste. :)

I didn't even realize he was a professor there. It kind of explains a lot.

danpass

Happy 4th of July.

Dan here, requesting some more Harrier book recommendations please.

I've read Sea Harrier over the Falklands and Hostile Skies (another Falklands aviator) and search results here revealed Hammer from Above (thoughts on that one?)

What else might you recommend?