• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are you reading?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I get a few other magazines as well:
Foreign Affairs,

Architectural Digest,

and Garden & Gun

so Naval History will be a nice addition.

Does anyone subscribe to Smithsonian Air & Space ?

I have in the past but didn't find the content to be worth the price. Which has been my experience with all of my magazine subscriptions.

Reactions: IKE

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I mentioned this last year but finally got it today:
“U.S. Cruisers” by Norman Friedman. 496 pages of every class from 1883 into the missile age.

Late edit: My book arrived yesterday. USNI stated this today:
Enjoy holiday pricing from now until December 31, 2021. Naval Institute Press is offering 50% off list price and free shipping on all books.

https://www.usni.org/press/books/us-cruisers-0

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The only magazine I ever subscribed to was Scientific American. I dropped it when I noticed the following over the course of a few months:
  • Number of articles increased
  • Article length decreased significantly
  • Advertisement content sharply increased
I suspect they had a drop in readership and took a short term approach to making more money. I wouldn't be surprised if this has happened to lots of magazines due to Al Gore's invention.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
I mentioned this last year but finally got it today:
“U.S. Cruisers” by Norman Friedman. 496 pages of every class from 1883 into the missile age.

It is interesting enough how the decision of removal of torpedo tubes from first eight CAs had been made in the mid-30s and the New Orleans class ships weren't so equipped from the scratch. In this book the most related reference is that even being in a battleline there was just about 50% of chances those cruisers would use their torpedoes, and given high risk of fires when damaged, the tubes were removed. Examining the WDRs of USS Quincy and USS Vincennes lost at Savo island I would dare to say no Jap shells landed in a places where those tubes could have been, but have the cruisers had them some Japanese cruiser quite could share this fate in Ironbottom Sound.

trakanon

Contributor
The last book I finished was the leader's bookshelf (recommend CNO reading list). After that I started reading the bible since is one of the top books on the leader's bookshelf.. I've been stuck reading the holy bible for a few months now... I'm on the book of Ezra.

Whether or not you are a pious person the holy bible is a book on how to live a life and in a very real sense, a book for leaders.

Mos

None
Whether or not you are a pious person the holy bible is a book on how to live a life and in a very real sense, a book for leaders.
I can already hear the thudding footsteps of tyrannosaurus Brett as he's on his way to give you a piece of his heathen mind.

I get what you're saying but personally I view the Bible as a complex tome from a very different time. There's some low hanging fruit to grab, but there's also a lot of stuff that won't make sense without serious study and interpretation.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can already hear the thudding footsteps of tyrannosaurus Brett as he's on his way to give you a piece of his heathen mind.

I get what you're saying but personally I view the Bible as a complex tome from a very different time. There's some low hanging fruit to grab, but there's also a lot of stuff that won't make sense without serious study and interpretation.
I’m all in favor of Christians actually reading and understanding their own foundational text. I think it offers little in the way of professionally relevant value or insight.

I would ask @trakanon for the top five lessons or principles about leadership that he finds within the text that are unique to the Bible, and not readily apparent in other secular philosophical works.

trakanon

Contributor
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The bible is also filled with violence and bizarre things. I'm not going to list the five lessons and compare them for you I encourage you all to read and discover this yourselves but I would say it's the story of the characters that ive read about so far in the old testament like noah, joseph, abraham, joshua, david..

JoeBob1788

I’m all in favor of Christians actually reading and understanding their own foundational text. I think it offers little in the way of professionally relevant value or insight.

I would ask @trakanon for the top five lessons or principles about leadership that he finds within the text that are unique to the Bible, and not readily apparent in other secular philosophical works.
As a devout and decently studied Christian, I agree with Brett. Christianity teaches unique motivations to “do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly” but the values presented are largely held in common by many belief systems. For leadership purposes, the Bible is a very general text, and really will only speak to believers.

As someone who applies the Bible to how I live my life and how I approach my military service, it does no good to bring up the usefulness of the Bible (or any book) with no effort to substantiate your statements. Brett’s response was fair for the Bible or any book. If you can’t point to a specific benefit, you can’t expect anyone to trust your judgement and recommendations.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gosh, it's evidently just 6th to 10th commandments, perfectly those 5 principles of the second scroll for man-to-man relationships (five, 1st to 5th, of the first scroll are for "man-to-God" interface).
Or, to a degree, one would find five Stockdale's points of naval leadership in the Holy Book. There's everything in there, if one just wants to find it;-)
The problem is this is completely out of practical sence for a person who didn't receive full theological education.