• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are you reading?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Norman Friedman is perhaps the most prominent writer on naval vessels alive today. He has a revised book on US carriers (to include the Ford class) out in August. I have his phenomenal books on US battleships and US cruisers- looks like time to add one more.

1656267334349-jpeg.35558

Attachments

• 1656267334349.jpeg
    1656267334349.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 529

space_sailor

Any book (fictional or non-fictional) suggestions about the Ethics/Philosophy over using unmanned air systems as opposed to manned aircraft?

It's a topic that is interesting to me, but I don't know where to start. I recall watching a Stargate SG1 episode many years back where they touched on the issue of one warring nation using drones whilst the other had pilots.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Any book (fictional or non-fictional) suggestions about the Ethics/Philosophy over using unmanned air systems as opposed to manned aircraft?

It's a topic that is interesting to me, but I don't know where to start. I recall watching a Stargate SG1 episode many years back where they touched on the issue of one warring nation using drones whilst the other had pilots.
You can start with “A TYPOLOGY OF ARGUMENTS ABOUT DRONE ETHICS” by Mary Manjikian. It was published by the Army War College and is available free online. Also wade through “ARMED DRONES AND THE ETHICS OF WAR: Military virtue in a post-heroic age” by Christian Enemark. It is hard to find, academic, and expensive to buy. Published by Routledge.

Broadly, I also recommend “ON KILLING REMOTELY: The Psychology of Killing with Drones“ by Wayne Phelps. It is less “academic” but a worthy read.

PMPT

Realpolitk can also be very cruel and most Americans generally don't want to be assholes or enthusiastically support assholes when it comes to foreign policy. It is necessary much of the time? Sure, but we aren't going to be happy about it most of the time.

We also have a strong strain of trying to do what is 'right' in our foreign policy as well, it doesn't always get as much recognition as it should be it has been a pretty common theme of our foreign policy across both parties for decades.
I'm not so sure, tbh. out of sight is out of mind for the average person

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I just got done reading Dreadnought by Robert K Massie, overall an excellent book about the 'dreadnaught race' before the war between the UK and Germany. It was a formidable book at a little over 900 pretty dense pages but once I got going it was an 'easy' read, though it took two weeks of TDY away from the family to finish it up. It paints Germany in a pretty bad light, laying almost the entire onus of the naval arms race before WWI and the resultant historic British alliance building with France, on them.

200px-Dreadnought_cover1.jpg

I liked it enough that I am going to try and tackle the 'sequel', Castles of Steel about the 'Great War' at sea. I just have to wait for a nice long TDY to do it...
About halfway through Robert K Massie’s “Castles of Steel”. Phenomenal book about Britain, Germany and the naval rivalry in WW1, it is roughly 800 pages with an incredible amount of interlocking detail. Probably best read with some version WW1 version of Janes’ Ships as well as a stack of maps. Highly recommended.

1658509773524.jpeg

Recently finished geopolitical analyst Peter Zeihan’s book “The End of the World is Just the Beginning”. Dr Zeihan builds his models around geography, energy and demographics. His thesis is that globalization is a historical anomaly and will break down, primarily due to an unprecedented global demographic implosion that is coming due this decade. Whether or not you agree with his (pessimistic) predictions, it is most certainly worth the read for the demographic analysis alone.

1658510246980.jpeg

A Sam Harris moderated discussion between Peter Zeihan and Ian Bremmer will give you an example of the book - well worth listening to on your drive to work. (the discussion starts at about the 7 minute mark)

Last edited:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
As a heads up, USNI just announced 50% off and free shipping on books for the Christmas season.

Enjoy holiday pricing from now until December 31, 2022. Naval Institute Press is offering 50% off list price and free shipping on all in-stock books published through December 31, 2022, and available on usni.org.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Worth a read if you are a WSJ guy - pretty compelling arguments. Navy received the worst rating..

Fg15z1sWYAIy4pf.jpeg

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Do any E-2 drivers/NFOs on here have any book recommendations regarding the platform, mission, and/or the E-1?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Just found out USNI is having a 70% off sale on selected books for members:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just finished How to Fight a War by Mike Martin. I'd hand this book to any civilian or junior servicemember who wants a better understanding of concepts and concerns at the operational level of war and above.

It's basically War College For Dummies, and I mean that in a good way. It takes a lot of the concepts you wrestle with as a 3- or 4-star staff officer and makes them more accessible without dumbing them down. It starts with the intangibles such as matching strategy to ends-ways-means, proper logistics, morale, and training, then goes through generic capes and lims of different kinds of military systems (i.e. "this is what infantry is good at, this is what armor is good at, this is what space and cyber are for," etc), and then things to keep in mind in actual warfighting.

1694736790613.png